CAO Black Frontier

physiognomy

From a land down under...
Click here for some pics... these cigars were my first box buy, so I got a little excited & took a few shots.

I originally wanted to try this CAO line after reading the good reviews at top25cigar.com and here on CS. After a few glasses of wine the other night I was feeling a little happy & threw in a bid ~$30 under the online box price. Well, I won, & now have a good supply of churchills... My first one didn't even make it in the humidor before I lit it up :ss

I used my Xikar cutter to take a little off the cap (~40rg) & found a nice pre light draw that tasted slightly earthy & hay-like. After lighting, the first few puffs were dominated by those flavours, but before 1/4" the hay-like (green/grassy?) flavour mellowed. It was definitely a cool, smooth smoke with a nice tobacco flavour. I wouldn't say it was a big flavour smoke like the Brazilias, but it definitely kept my attention...

Almost immediately I could tell that the ash wasn't going to hold on this cigar. It was pretty flaky looking & as I guessed it fell off at around 1/2". This was a little disappointing because I ended up ashing down the front of myself twice while smoking it. I couldn't get anything longer than 1/2" to hold... In every other way the construction was great & the burn was even, but I had to relight a couple of times after letting it sit for a few minutes.

Overall I'm looking forward to trying these again! I hope that next time I have a little more time to sit & enjoy the whole cigar before it gets too cold out side... From this first experience I'd definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a milder, but tasty smoke.

Nice photos, great lighting (diffused flash?), backgrounds and depth of field. It looks like you enjoy shooting as much as you do smoking. One passion compliments the other.

I recieved 5 Bengals in the mail the other day and they are recovering from their journey in the cooler. Your photos have added to my anticipation.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the comments! I'm definitely going to have to try another of these in the very near future...

Nice photos, great lighting (diffused flash?), backgrounds and depth of field. It looks like you enjoy shooting as much as you do smoking. One passion compliments the other

Thanks! No flash, camera was on a tripod, & lighting came from some daylight compact flourescent bulbs. A pretty simple set up, but I like the results. Once I have a better digital than my crappy little 4mp p&s I should be able to do a lot better. I mostly shoot film, but it isn't convenient for posting quick snaps for this purpose...

Nice review. Never tried this line of CAO's before. Might have to give them a whirl.

Nice review. Got one of these in a prize package from cobe-winston. Have to fire it up as soon as I am done reviewing the five unbanded cigar pif. Thanks.

I think CAO has by far the most intriguing and best looking packaging. However, their cigars for the most part seem to be able to stand on their own, and are great smokes. Thanks for the review.

Good review on one of my favs!!:ss
I have'nt had the chruchill, but the Gothic is my favorite of that line,
Bengal, then the Storm.
Gotta go to cbid and see if they have some Goths up for bid, been months
since I've had one.......

Back