CAO Criollo Pato

billybarue

Luvin' me some Lagavulin
And for my 100th post. It's been reviewed earlier, but since this is my first review I felt compelled to start another thread.

CAO Criollo Pato (4.7 x 50)

Size: (4.7 x 50”)

Wrapper: Criollo (not sure what that is)
Filler: Nicaraguan

Condition/Age: 72 F, 65 RH ---- stored 4 months
Vender: Sampler from CBID

Setting: Back patio. “Hot, damn hot, Africa hot, Tarzan couldn’t take this kind of hot” – I’m in Louisiana after all. Upper 80’s, humidity is low for here.

Drink: “Beer? It’s 10:00 AM! OK, Scotch?”
Coffee --- half 8 O’Clock Columbian beans/half Espresso beans

Light – wooden matches, I screwed up the burn a little and charred the wrapper too much.

Construction: Solid, no veins, knot on top
Burn: Not bad, took a phone call almost caused it to go out. One touch up in the middle. One off burn toward end that self corrected.
Time: 1 hr

1st impression a little bit sharp, probably from charred wrapper. Soon gave way to the spice/pepper most talk about in this cigar. Knowing this would be my first review I paid attention to the cigar this time and sure enough I noticed a change in flavors in a cigar for the first time. By middle third it began to mellow and mix with kind of sweetness - spice kind of drifted away. Middle third cigar was in it’s stride with medium strength creamy smoke. Also noticed never left aftertaste and the aroma was excellent, but I love the smell of most cigars. Probably should have purged it once more, because toward end became a little sharp again.

OVERALL: Liked it a great deal – say 8.5 out of 10. Thought I would be blown away by my first CAO though and that didn’t happen. Next up is the Black and Brazilia, – we’ll see how they do.

Recommendation: Try it definitely. If you spy a sampler on CBID and CAO Patos are part of it I think this is a great place to score a few to try.

billybarue said:
And for my 100th post. It's been reviewed earlier, but since this is my first review I felt compelled to start another thread.

CAO Criollo Pato (4.7 x 50)

Size: (4.7 x 50”)

Wrapper: Criollo (not sure what that is)
Filler: Nicaraguan

Condition/Age: 72 F, 65 RH ---- stored 4 months
Vender: Sampler from CBID

Setting: Back patio. “Hot, damn hot, Africa hot, Tarzan couldn’t take this kind of hot” – I’m in Louisiana after all. Upper 80’s, humidity is low for here.

Drink: “Beer? It’s 10:00 AM! OK, Scotch?”
Coffee --- half 8 O’Clock Columbian beans/half Espresso beans

Light – wooden matches, I screwed up the burn a little and charred the wrapper too much.

Construction: Solid, no veins, knot on top
Burn: Not bad, took a phone call almost caused it to go out. One touch up in the middle. One off burn toward end that self corrected.
Time: 1 hr

1st impression a little bit sharp, probably from charred wrapper. Soon gave way to the spice/pepper most talk about in this cigar. Knowing this would be my first review I paid attention to the cigar this time and sure enough I noticed a change in flavors in a cigar for the first time. By middle third it began to mellow and mix with kind of sweetness - spice kind of drifted away. Middle third cigar was in it’s stride with medium strength creamy smoke. Also noticed never left aftertaste and the aroma was excellent, but I love the smell of most cigars. Probably should have purged it once more, because toward end became a little sharp again.

OVERALL: Liked it a great deal – say 8.5 out of 10. Thought I would be blown away by my first CAO though and that didn’t happen. Next up is the Black and Brazilia, – we’ll see how they do.

Recommendation: Try it definitely. If you spy a sampler on CBID and CAO Patos are part of it I think this is a great place to score a few to try.

Nice first review. I wasn't crazy about that cigar myself, but it was good like you said. I bet you'll like the Brazilia, and Black much better...I do

I won one of these from CAO when they did a contest for the CX2 a couple of months back. As a replacement for the hat they sent me a Criole.

I finally smoked it last night and enjoyed it alot. I think your review is on the money as far as what i experienced as well.

The first one I had was so spicy it burned my tongue. The spicy flavor lasted throughout most of the cigar and flavor was strong and very good. The next few were far less spicy (although still spicier than most cigars), generally smoother, yet had less flavor.

Interesting smoke, one to have on occasion, but not a regular.

I also thought Criollo Pato had an odd taste. I also got some spice and a kind of toasty flavor that was odd. I agree that the cigar was well constructed. Good draw with lots of smoke.

i bought a sampler during a cao "show" at my local b&m and got some of the criollos and some of the brazillias. so far i like the criollos better and they even tasted better after eating some very spicy cajun boudin sausage!

I tried one that was gifted to me a few weeks ago. I can honestly say this cigar was below average especially at 8 bucks a stick. I think the Brazilia is the best in this line. Just my :2 .

this was a sleeper to me. nothing special, just a good amount of spice that mellowed later. definately worth another.

HeavySmoke said:
I tried one that was gifted to me a few weeks ago. I can honestly say this cigar was below average especially at 8 bucks a stick. I think the Brazilia is the best in this line. Just my :2 .
I completely agree. This cigar did nothing for me. CAO makes much better sticks than the Criollo.

Back