CAO Criollo Pato

BlackIrish

ChestBeater
The specs:
CAO Criollo Pato – 4 7/8” x 50 (robusto)
Nicaraguan puro

Humi time: 3 mos
Beverage: sparkling water
Price: about $3, courtesy of Satan's cigar site

Prelight: I really like the appearance of this little robusto with its cute pigtail cap, which often signifies a loving construction. The wrapper is a deep brown, smooth and veinless, with a mushroom-colored label that's subtle and understated. The aroma was subtle, too, with some cedar. Firm and well-filled to the touch, the cap sliced easily and cleanly. The cold draw was spot on, easy with just a bit of resistance.

Burn: An easy light led to a perfect burn. Straight and true all the way through the smoke, the burn produced a firm ash that held very well and tipped off in chunks of at least an inch. The smoke was cool throughout, even to the nub, with a deliciously sweet aroma. I smoked this at a relaxed pace, for more than an hour.

Flavor: Medium in body, this cigar has a subtle complexity that I really enjoyed. I found coffee and toffee, almonds and chestnuts, with some faint sweetness on the finish. It's not one of those cigars that hits you over the head with power and spice; the Criollo Pato is more about whiispering in your ear and coyly offering up its flavors. Take your time with this one, and enjoy the cool complex smoke.

Overall: Fantastic. One of the best CAOs I've had, and definitely not my last.

Awesome. I got two of these for free from my B&M. One of them is now contemplating its fate...

For gods sake, man, don't subject it to the mental anguish of knowing that the end is near but not knowing when. Bring the end on quickly, with a quick slice to the head, and give it the dignity of a funeral pyre.

Back