CAO ViSion - Yes...Finally smoked it! 56k warning!

White97Jimmy

Expresso - Frickin' 81
Well, after a good 3 weeks of resting, I finally found a perfect weather day to roast this stick. Extra special thank you to BP22 - you really knew how to make my month! I have been waiting patiently to try this one out since it was announced. I couldn't believe that one actually showed up in my mailbox!

Here we go:
vision01.jpg

Pre-light: Construction on this was excellent. Very well rolled, looked very pleasing to the eye. The pearl white/silver band compliments this stick nicely. A gentle squeeze of the stick; it's firm and springs back to its original shape. Clip and pre-draw are perfect. I used my Havana cutter on this stick. Pre-light taste is mildly sweet and like hay.

vision02.jpg

Toast and roast: Lights just like a cigar should. I used my table torch (like I do most of the time). A quick purge and draw and this smoke gives a smooth taste, with a bit of pepper. A bit more bland than I thought it would be, but this is only the first draw...I'm still excited to get this thing moving. First few draws are pretty much the same. This stick starts mild/med, but does deliver a small peppery taste, with a sweet ending.

vision03.jpg

First third: Right off the bat, this thing starts burning uneven. I am very disappointed and getting a bit frustrated....staring at this thing, I can't believe what is happening. Despite the burn, I keep on trucking and focus on the taste. The smoke is not heavy at all. I really wish this would pump out a bit more smoke. It becomes a medium bodied taste now, leaving the mild behind. Still a sweet taste, with a tiny toasty tang at the end. If this taste was a bit heavier, it would be a really good smoke. It continues to burn uneven, and I had to correct it twice to prevent it from a full disaster.

vision04.jpg

Second third: Ashed and touched up...Still the same taste as the first part of this smoke. So far, this has been a very one-dimensional smoke. My excitement is dying down, and this smoke is becoming way more work than it should be. Same taste, same amount of smoke. I actually had a double draw on this thing to get any decent amount of smoke a few times. However, things are looking up a bit, as the burn is starting to look like it is evening out.

vision05.jpg

Last third: This was the best part of the whole smoke. I ashed again, and didn't need to touch up this time. Smoke was heavier, thick and white. A full-on sweet, dark chocolate like flavor stood out the most. A background of hints of coffee were also apparent. If the whole smoke would have been like this, I would have been very pleased. Unfortunately, this part of the stick was the only "great" part of it.

Finish: Typical CAO finish. The flavor lasted about 20 minutes or so. I walked inside and decided to not judge the ViSion with one try.

Final thoughts and ratings:
Construction: 9/10 - had a great firm construction
Draw: 9/10 - good solid draw - not too tight/not too loose
Burn: 6/10 - only got this high of a rating because it finally burned well the last third
Taste: 7.5/10 - best part of the cigar was the last third. Needs a better start.
Try again?: Yes...I would try it again. I honestly believe if it had a good burn, it would have been way more enjoyable. I would have to smoke about 3-4 of these before I would pass on these.
Worth the money?: Can't say yet. I don't know how much these will cost. If it stays within the limits of their other cigars ($5-$7) then probably. If it goes any higher than $9/stick, I would say try it just to say you tried it. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't something that made me want to beg them to get these on the shelves ASAP.

I will rate this again as soon as I am able to find more. Would love to hear your comments.

Nice review. It looks like a good stick and hopefully with some age will be up to par or better than the other CAO lines.

Scottie

I really like that band, real unique.

Beautiful stick too, but that burn is ugly!

Hopefully the bulk of them burn smoothly and have more flavour! But I don't know how many of these I will pick up unless I really like them. CAO cigars seem a bit pricey to me for some reason....

Wow, i didnt think these were out yet. We havent got them yet in chicago.

I resent the fact fact that CAO has decided to place high prices on all their new lines. I had a lot of respect for them, but the CX2 (not TOO pricey), Soprano's (WAY overboard), and now if these are over $10.....I hope they dont get greedy.

Great review

aphexacid said:
Wow, i didnt think these were out yet. We havent got them yet in chicago.

smokinpoke said:
good review might have to try to find some the next time i am at the B&M

They are NOT out yet. I received this as a gift from BP22, who attended RTDA this year. They were handed out there for retailers to try before they buy. From what I've been hearing, you won't find these until late fall/early winter.

I will try it again, but so far, there are other CAO's that I enjoy more than this stick.

White97Jimmy said:
Well, after a good 3 weeks of resting, I finally found a perfect weather day to roast this stick. Extra special thank you to BP22 - you really knew how to make my month! I have been waiting patiently to try this one out since it was announced. I couldn't believe that one actually showed up in my mailbox!

Here we go:
vision01.jpg

Pre-light: Construction on this was excellent. Very well rolled, looked very pleasing to the eye. The pearl white/silver band compliments this stick nicely. A gentle squeeze of the stick; it's firm and springs back to its original shape. Clip and pre-draw are perfect. I used my Havana cutter on this stick. Pre-light taste is mildly sweet and like hay.

vision02.jpg

Toast and roast: Lights just like a cigar should. I used my table torch (like I do most of the time). A quick purge and draw and this smoke gives a smooth taste, with a bit of pepper. A bit more bland than I thought it would be, but this is only the first draw...I'm still excited to get this thing moving. First few draws are pretty much the same. This stick starts mild/med, but does deliver a small peppery taste, with a sweet ending.

vision03.jpg

First third: Right off the bat, this thing starts burning uneven. I am very disappointed and getting a bit frustrated....staring at this thing, I can't believe what is happening. Despite the burn, I keep on trucking and focus on the taste. The smoke is not heavy at all. I really wish this would pump out a bit more smoke. It becomes a medium bodied taste now, leaving the mild behind. Still a sweet taste, with a tiny toasty tang at the end. If this taste was a bit heavier, it would be a really good smoke. It continues to burn uneven, and I had to correct it twice to prevent it from a full disaster.

vision04.jpg

Second third: Ashed and touched up...Still the same taste as the first part of this smoke. So far, this has been a very one-dimensional smoke. My excitement is dying down, and this smoke is becoming way more work than it should be. Same taste, same amount of smoke. I actually had a double draw on this thing to get any decent amount of smoke a few times. However, things are looking up a bit, as the burn is starting to look like it is evening out.

vision05.jpg

Last third: This was the best part of the whole smoke. I ashed again, and didn't need to touch up this time. Smoke was heavier, thick and white. A full-on sweet, dark chocolate like flavor stood out the most. A background of hints of coffee were also apparent. If the whole smoke would have been like this, I would have been very pleased. Unfortunately, this part of the stick was the only "great" part of it.

Finish: Typical CAO finish. The flavor lasted about 20 minutes or so. I walked inside and decided to not judge the ViSion with one try.

Final thoughts and ratings:
Construction: 9/10 - had a great firm construction
Draw: 9/10 - good solid draw - not too tight/not too loose
Burn: 6/10 - only got this high of a rating because it finally burned well the last third
Taste: 7.5/10 - best part of the cigar was the last third. Needs a better start.
Try again?: Yes...I would try it again. I honestly believe if it had a good burn, it would have been way more enjoyable. I would have to smoke about 3-4 of these before I would pass on these.
Worth the money?: Can't say yet. I don't know how much these will cost. If it stays within the limits of their other cigars ($5-$7) then probably. If it goes any higher than $9/stick, I would say try it just to say you tried it. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't something that made me want to beg them to get these on the shelves ASAP.

I will rate this again as soon as I am able to find more. Would love to hear your comments.

Jimmy: A very good review, complete with pictures! I luv the pictures
A couple of reactions: It was telling when you described the "pinch" and the way it sprang back to it's original shape; that tells me it may still have been a little "young", and for me maybe borne out by the way it burned uneven, which IMO is a sign it could probably have benefited from a wee bit more time at rest. In addition, the draw may have been less than what it should have been because of the same thing, moistness, youth and in need of more rest.
The good news is the construction, always a good sign IMO. And the taste which wakened up to what it should have been. It is probably a damned fine smoke with a bit more time in the humi.

Nice review and great pictures.

The vision not being released yet makes alot of sense, now i know why i couldnt find one when i went looking the other weekend.

i heard they will be priced between 7 and 8, the packaging on this insane, a battery powered humidor quality box with led lights inside. supposed to keep 70 to 72% humidity and each cigar is computer draw tested before shipping, wow.

Nice review. I'll probably have to try a couple when they release, but the high price tag will keep me away unless it's an amazing smoke.

Well, 8 months later, I will post my second review of this.

So I picked up a couple of these because I wanted to compare it to what I wrote last year. To tell you the truth, after reading my first review of this, my thoughts are practically the same. This is a mediocre, overpriced and overhyped smoke. I would smoke it if it were about half the price or if I was gifted it. I would not pay full MSRP for this smoke though. There are too many other good smokes for the price.

Good review. I have not been able to find these yet. Was wondering if it was all hype since CAO does a lot of that, but they also put out some great sticks. Thanks for the blow by blow.

In the Twin Cities...they are WAY over priced...I think I saw them at one B&M for 20+ a stick...making me want to try them less and less...the main reason, why the hell do I want something that comes from a pimped out box...to me it just seems as though they are really trying to hide something...

Back