Careful how you ship; mail damage.

ky toker

Chestbeating Pack Leader
Received damaged mail yesterday and jgrimball thought it would be a good idea to share this as kind of a warning, I believe.

He had sent 2 cutters and some small cigars, couldn't tell you what, in an envelope which was ripped apart. I'm guessing the contents were bunched together and became jammed into a slot to sort mail. The cutters were lost and the cigars were battered to death. Just double check how you send your mail out.

<br />

jgros001 said:
USPS Priority!! Don't try to cut corners...$4.55 flat rate and works great.

If you print a label online at www.usps.com, you save $.50 as the DC is pre-printed and included in the $4.50 price. Not a HUGE savings, but overtime it adds up. :D

jgros001 said:

:tpd:

A padded envelope is NOT the way to go. USPS priority mailers are sturdy and free. Print the labels at home and the cost is $4.05 which includes free delivery confirmation.

I almost have no pity for the individual who thought shipping cigars in an envelope was a GOOD idea. Sorry to be an asshat here, but that's just ridiculous.

USPS Priority box al the way.

Gotta use a USPS box and lots of bubble wrap.

Never to much bubble wrap. Better to pay an extra few bucks for shipping then loose abunch of good cigars.

HOT WEATHER = SEND STOGIE MAIL ON MONDAY WHEN PRACTICAL.

This may prevent smokes from sitting in a hot trailer, molding and splitting, over a weekend.

ky toker said:
Received damaged mail yesterday and jgrimball thought it would be a good idea to share this as kind of a warning, I believe.

He had sent 2 cutters and some small cigars, couldn't tell you what, in an envelope which was ripped apart. I'm guessing the contents were bunched together and became jammed into a slot to sort mail. The cutters were lost and the cigars were battered to death. Just double check how you send your mail out.

<br />

OUCH! Sorry to hear that. Cutters lost is a shame. However, looks like you were sent a few Kentucky Cheroots . . . no great loss there. :)

The USPS ran this through their postal machine....

TZ200126204558408.jpg

Always use as much protection as you can when sending packages. I worked for UPS as a loader and sorter when I was in college. You wouldn't believe how things are handled sometimes, especially when they get behind. We had to load 800+ packages and sort 1400+ packages per hour. At the Charlotte, NC hub, we handled between 150,000 - 200,000 packages in a 4 - 4.5 hour period. it was like working a regular 12 hour day anywhere else, I swear to you. So things got tossed, pushed around, stepped on, dropped, kicked when you got ill, you name it. Just remember that when you send things.

jgros001 said:

Ditto!
Include peanuts or bubble wrap and you are assured a safe delivery.

Good advice on the Monday versus Friday deal. It is obvious when you read it, but we all get too busy sometimes to actually think...

Mister MaDuroo said:
HOT WEATHER = SEND STOGIE MAIL ON MONDAY WHEN PRACTICAL.
This may prevent smokes from sitting in a hot trailer, molding and splitting, over a weekend.

Very good advice!! I was getting a couple packages ready to ship tomorrow, but I think I will hold out until Monday.

"This may prevent smokes from sitting in a hot trailer, molding and splitting, over a weekend"

Really makes no difference. I contract mail hauling to the postal service, and trucks run 7 days per week. The only possible delay would be on Sunday. They would be in a postal office though and not in a truck somewhere. I will say this though....no matter what grade of shipping/insurance you choose, they get no special treatment in the back of a Mack. Pack them well as others here have recommended.

Larry

Back