Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Box Press Maduro

This is my first review, so be kind. :)

I picked up a couple of these at a local B&M at the recommendation of the manager. They were going to hold a Torano event in a few weeks, so I thought it might be good to get a taste of the brand. I missed the event, but I'm glad I made the purchase. I smoked the first one of the pair a few weeks ago, and it was good. Today was just confirmation.

Torano_1.jpg

This is just a great looking cigar. The cap was a little rough, but in all it looks like a candy bar. Dark, smooth, rich. The cap and initial pre-light drags taste heavily of tobacco and spice. The draw (as was the first) is PERFECT.

The first third smoke nicely, warm flavors of leather and cocoa. Some sweetness. The burn was a little uneven, but eventually worked its way back into an even burn with no coaching.

Torano_2.jpg

The ash, as you can see, held on to nearly the 1/2 way point in the cigar, stubbornly clinging as if to make a statement. The middle of the cigar had hints of mint or tea. I could not tell which, but there was a shift to a coolness along with the leather tones. Still a great flavor, but different.

Torano_3.jpg

The last 1/3 of the cigar burned a little hot. Still good flavors, a little more spice, but delicious all the way through. The photo above was taken just as the ash finally gave up and dropped to the ground.

torano_4.jpg

Good to the last drop. And no "maduro dye" on the fingers, either.

I don't know how the "experts" score cigars. I'd give this one a 9 of 10. It is quickly becoming one of my favorites. The look is great. The draw, like I said, could not be better. And the flavors are nice -- rich, varied. At $5.70, it was a great deal, and I plan to invest again.

Back