CBid head scratchers..

Totemic

Young Ape
Ok, we all know that people tend to get a bit silly with CBid. But sometimes, I really wonder just what goes through their minds when they make these bids.

For example:

Ashton VSG Belicoso 5 pack, current bid: $53.
Ashton VSG Belicoso 5 from CI: $46.25.

Even if you account for the $5 shipping/handling from CI, it's still only $51.25 (assuming you didn't know about the free shipping code)!

And the scary part is that there's *TWO* bids from different people for that 5 pack. Nor is this unique. I routinely see these silly bids on CBid now.

The one really nice benefit of this is that it's making it a LOT easier to resist the temptation of the Devil's Site. Why bother with CBid if I can get it cheaper retail? Why bother ordering "Right Now Dammit", if I can get it from retail just about any time? I find myself using CBid less and less now.

Not really a rant or anything, just an observation this morning as I'm trying to wake up enough to go into work.

I just posted this in the other CBid thread, but it probably would have been more appropriate here. The people who pay above retail over there make it possible for the rest of us to get great deals on other sticks. Cbid has got to make money somewhere. Might as well be on the backs of idiots. And while they are overbidding, take another look around. Trust me, there are still plenty of cigars to pick up for well below retail. :tu

I hear ya. I haven't been on cbid for a couple weeks because of this and I'm glad. FYI I think the overbidding happens a lot more frequently on the auctions that are ending on fridays, saturdays, and sundays as opposed to the bids that end in the first half of the week. But between daily deals, CI's 5 pack madness, and Taboo coupon codes, I'm finding less reasons to go to cbid everyday!

I just posted this in the other CBid thread, but it probably would have been more appropriate here. The people who pay above retail over there make it possible for the rest of us to get great deals on other sticks. Cbid has got to make money somewhere. Might as well be on the backs of idiots. And while they are overbidding, take another look around. Trust me, there are still plenty of cigars to pick up for well below retail. :tu

I have to agree with you....They are still many deals to be had on Cbid...I will say though I have overbid slightly on some 5'ers back in theday and blame it on being drunk....Dont drink and Cbid as its dangerous!

There are some goofballs on Cbid. Something is wrong when it is cheaper to buy a box of Tatuaje Havana VI's at my local (California) B&M. I've run into this with the Tatuaje Havana VI's and the La Riqueza's.

Ahhhh...the psychology of the bidding process...

I personally believe its not the actual price but the challenge of the win for something you want. It made eBay what it is, that is for sure.

I have a pretty good system for bidding on C-Bid. I bid 50 to 75% of retail and refuse to go any higher than that.Granted I usually lose 98% of the items I bid on but I get good deals on the stuff I win.

I have a pretty good system for bidding on C-Bid. I bid 50 to 75% of retail and refuse to go any higher than that.Granted I usually lose 98% of the items I bid on but I get good deals on the stuff I win.

In my earlier days/addiction with CBID, I big higher than retail on the 5vegas A mega sampler, I just never bothered to check retail as I had done so many times before. Still, I feel didn't get screwed, but I certainly payed more than I had too. I barely use CBID anymore, as I have become more picky in only buying robustos and PC's, knowing what I like, and considering any savings under 25% percent, to not be good enough to watch my credit card bleed out.

Ahh, the CBid overbidders. A fascinating group of people. A documentary should be made about them or maybe a Weird Al song. It used to be a few years ago you could get GREAT deals on boxes. Now you're lucky to get $20 off the CI normal price. BUT, as much as I hate them, as long as they keep overbidding, they'll allow me to pay for my electric bill that month. :D

Do keep away from the Fuente's as others have said
Here are some good examples:

Fuente Fuente Opus X Perfexcion A (Single) MSRP $25.00
http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=611165

Fuente Fuente Opus X 2005 Sampler MSRP $139.95
http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=602495

Yeah, you definitely have to be an educated consumer.

I'm feeling pretty good as I just went on there looking to buy a box last week. Haven't been on it for awhile. I "won" a box of Padron 6000 maduro for $115. Retail, I saw it for $160+.

Same with me...I bid once & don't look again. If I get it great, if I don't so what...there WILL be another opportunity to bid on the same item in due time.

:ss

Ok, we all know that people tend to get a bit silly with CBid. But sometimes, I really wonder just what goes through their minds when they make these bids.

For example:

Ashton VSG Belicoso 5 pack, current bid: $53.
Ashton VSG Belicoso 5 from CI: $46.25.

Even if you account for the $5 shipping/handling from CI, it's still only $51.25 (assuming you didn't know about the free shipping code)!

And the scary part is that there's *TWO* bids from different people for that 5 pack. Nor is this unique. I routinely see these silly bids on CBid now.

The one really nice benefit of this is that it's making it a LOT easier to resist the temptation of the Devil's Site. Why bother with CBid if I can get it cheaper retail? Why bother ordering "Right Now Dammit", if I can get it from retail just about any time? I find myself using CBid less and less now.

Not really a rant or anything, just an observation this morning as I'm trying to wake up enough to go into work.

I,ll do you one better.
The latest Padron Maduro 8 cigar sampler in the wooden box sold for $133.
My God, you can buy them from Thompson's for $99.

People get so caught up in winning the bid that they don't pay attention to the price. That's the danger of bidding sites (I've seen the same thing on eBay). About the only time I bid on anything anymore is when they have a large number of lots at well below retail - that way I'm pretty sure that I will win, for no more than $2-3 above the opening bid price.

This is why I have not bid in the last several weeks. You can still find some good deals now and then. Continue to support my local B&M.

Back