cbid junkies click here.

-MG-

CS Chat Lurker
In my short stay here so far it’s become very obvious that most of you deserve to be blown to smithereens… unfortunately I don’t have the ammo stockpile of many of you, and would just feel silly waging a war with my potato gun equivalent.

Given that, I found my own way to bomb most of you where it would hurt the most. Cbid.

Next time you feel the urge to make a bid, check out CHIMP (Cbid Historical Information Management Program) first, and place an educated bid. So far I have data from 1/1/2008 to about a week ago. I plan on updating the database with new auctions weekly, until I get around to making the process automatic. I’ll also be adding dates back to 1/1/06 over the next week or so, for those of you that want to look at price trends over the last couple of years.

My database has pretty much all the data you see on an auction’s page after it’s closed (including bidder information, if they used auto-bid, etc), so if there are other features you’d like reported on, post here, and I’ll see what I can do.

Thanks to Wondering Nomad for his post that inspired this app.

Happy Bidding!
-Kris :cb

Sweet! Its like looking at stocks, you can see trends of people paying more or less during certain dates. :tu Thanks for the link

In my short stay here so far it’s become very obvious that most of you deserve to be blown to smithereens… unfortunately I don’t have the ammo stockpile of many of you, and would just feel silly waging a war with my potato gun equivalent.

Remember...it isn't the contents of a bomb, but the thought and gesture that count. ;) :)

Very nice work :tu

Just curious how they will react to this, unless you work for them somehow. I was tracking the stuff I was buying (about 24 to 36 brands) and it got to be too time consuming. One thing I would like to see if your starting a wish list is a way to combine all the same cigars with different titles. Example being Gurkha Legends. They have different titles for the same cigar for different sections of the site. RP vintage is another example of the titles being different. Often the same auctions in the "samplers" section would go for far less than the same amount of cigars in the "boxes" section.

Not sure why but it happens.

Thanks,
Chas

PS - A little RG bump for the hard work :tu

Good work....you're not tracking boxes?

It's tracking everything, even merchandise. If a box is 20 cigars, just choose the type, and choose 20 cigars. I guess technically if they sold 20 loose and 20 in a box, it doesn't differentiate, but it is tracking them.

Good idea though, I'll add a pull down so you can select only certain categories.

MG

EXCELLENT work on the program, nice plotting, love the links to actual bids, etc, etc.
Glad you included humidors and other accessories as well.

Again, Good job! :tu

demi

Just curious how they will react to this, unless you work for them somehow. ..... One thing I would like to see if your starting a wish list is a way to combine all the same cigars with different titles....

I'm not associated with them at all... I was also wondering how they'd react, but it's all public information, so we'll see :tu

I like the idea of combining like cigars, but without some master title cross-referencing list, I'm not sure how to pull it off. As it is their titles are pretty inconsistent, which is why you'll see similar ones listed a couple of times in my list. I've filtered it out as much as I could find consistent ways to do so.

I like the idea of combining like cigars, but without some master title cross-referencing list, I'm not sure how to pull it off. As it is their titles are pretty inconsistent, which is why you'll see similar ones listed a couple of times in my list. I've filtered it out as much as I could find consistent ways to do so.

I know, and they even have a few that are misspelled :D You would think someone would catch it but last time I was keeping track they were still there.

Inconsistent, but consistently inconsistent. They just keep re-listing the same things in a rotation. Almost like clockwork on many.

Here is just one example:

From 2/13 to 3/4

Gurkha Legend '8 Years Aged' Torpedo (10)
Gurkha '8-Year Aged' Legend Torpedo - 10 Cigars
Gurkha '8-Year Aged' Legend Torpedo - 5-Pack
Gurkha '8-Year Aged' Legend Torpedo (5-Pack)

These 2 are the same auction but probably in different sections:

Combining them would give a better snapshot.

RP Vintage was the worst.
They had so many different titles for the same auctions it drove me insane.

I tracked it in excel and tracked all the bids for each lot. If 10 were available and the lowest winning bid averaged out to $13.00 I would try to be the first guy bidding when it opened and set my max at $13. a lot of the times I got beat out but more often than not I got them for what I was willing to pay and was often the last guy on the list waiting for the next bidder to bump me off the list.

Chas

ahh... I see what you mean, and I think my app already half-does that.

It looks for whatever you grab in the dropdown, and does a wildcard search for that starting text, and anything after it.

So, if you choose "Gurkha '8-Year Aged' Legend Torpedo", it will grab any auctions that start with that.. including:

Gurkha '8-Year Aged' Legend Torpedo - 10 cigars
Gurkha '8-Year Aged' Legend Torpedo - 10 pack sampler
Gurkha '8-Year Aged' Legend Torpedo - 5 pack
Gurkha '8-Year Aged' Legend Torpedo - great deal
Gurkha '8-Year Aged' Legend Torpedo, the best

etc.. (ok, so I made a couple of those up).

Just curious how they will react to this, unless you work for them somehow. I was tracking the stuff I was buying (about 24 to 36 brands) and it got to be too time consuming. One thing I would like to see if your starting a wish list is a way to combine all the same cigars with different titles. Example being Gurkha Legends. They have different titles for the same cigar for different sections of the site. RP vintage is another example of the titles being different. Often the same auctions in the "samplers" section would go for far less than the same amount of cigars in the "boxes" section.

Not sure why but it happens.

Thanks,
Chas

PS - A little RG bump for the hard work :tu

That was the initial problem I had when I built the original list. I ended up spending a lot of time creating a cross reference list to standardize all the different titles. I'm not a programmer so I don't know how you would accomplish that now.

Great work by the way. I'm glad someone was willing to take it to the next level.

This is awesome! Thanks Brother.

For a noob it appears I've lucked out and my CBid experience have been good so far:
- RP Vintage 1992 Robusto, 5 pk for $17 on 5/14
- Torano Casa Torano Toro, 5 pk for $15 on 5/14
- 5 Vegas Miami Toro, box (20) for $58 on 5/26
- RP Fusion Toro, 10 pk for $35.99 on 5/26
- Onyx Reserve Robusto, 5 pk for $15 on 6/11
- RYJ Viejo "B", 5 pk for $15 on 6/11

Back