CC reference books

When I first started down the slope of cigars, I did not have any reference books. I mostly was reading information posted on boards and talking to people with more experience. Then, I jumped at the chance to purchase a MRN. I remember reading it the first time. Then reading it a second and having a light bulb go off here and there. The more experience I gained, the more things started to sink in. Today, when I read the MRN, I feel a bit jaded when I consider the author's opinion. I take it with a grain of salt. Don't get me wrong, still find it useful in many ways. Early on, I asked a BOTL with a lot of experience in this hobby what he recommended. These were on his list (from my recollection):

Introductory: The Cigar Companion: A Connoisseur's Guide
by Anwer Bati and Cigar Aficionado's World of Cigars

Intermediate & more depth: The Complete Idiot's Guide by Tad Gage, The Ultimate Cigar Book by Richard Carleton Hacker and Rudman's Complete Guide to Cigars by Theo Rudman

Most in depth books are: The Havana Cigar: Cuba's Finest by Charles Del Todesco, An Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Post-Revolution Havana Cigars by Min Ron Nee and Cigars by Vahe Gerard.

With that, I would like to know what reference books you all have in your collection in addition to discussing things with fellow cigar smokers and reading through the boards. Which ones do you rely on most frequently? Do you go to some for certain information?

Del Todesco is an excellent reference. I also like Gerards "Havana Cigars" and "Connoisseuers Guide to Havana Cigars". And of course, Perleman's.

To tell you the truth, I shun most of the books (except for MRN). Mostly I prefer websites and reviews in the review section over print reviews. Cigar review is great one. I like its various MRN reviews in there.

http://www.cigars-review.org/

ATL

I really enjoy Cigars by Gerard...he is a huge fan of the descriptor "unctuous".

Celebrating Cigars by Bati is an ok read.

Will need to seek out The Havana Cigar by Todesco.

Also really want The Great Habanos Factories by Martinez.

Back