Cedar trays; homemade

ky toker

Chestbeating Pack Leader
I just received my new humidor and it is beautiful. It is only 40ct, but it is for the living room table to look good and store some smokes for when people come over. I will soon be launching the project of tupper/cooler-dor.

I have a few questions because I do want to make some seperation in the humidor and I'll want to make trays for another.

If you buy spanish cedar, after sanding do you have to dry it in some way?

What is the best adhesive/glue to use for making a shelf or tray; liquid nails? Does it even matter as long as it sticks?

Can I take an Ashton box and sand it down, cut it apart and make a good shelf and divider out of it? Would this be sacreligous defacing such a box or is it just making something usefull out of a good cigar box?

I researched making my own humi online (haven't started my project yet) and a lot of folks are suggesting using gorilla glue since it's not much affected by humidity.

I would use an old cigar box, i would lightly sand it to clean up the surface. I wouldn't consider that sacreligous.

If the wood is dry prior to sanding i don't think you need to dry it. I would aerate it (dry it) properly for at least a week after gluing to ensure that any glue smell goes away.

OK! I shouldn't even admit this. I had seen the reference to Gorilla Glue and because of the theme of this site I didn't take it as an actual brand.
Gorilla Glue here

I'm not going to mess with the Ashton box, just received a sampler so I'll use that. And I may know of a crafts shop which has plain cedar boxes, so I'll make a look.

Yes, been all over this site trying to put some of these ideas together. Much to read.

ky toker said:
And I may know of a crafts shop which has plain cedar boxes, so I'll make a look.

Just an FYI:

You need to make sure that you are getting SPANISH CEDAR not plain cedar.....often times plain cedar (as it is referred to) will wind up being aromatic red cedar like what is used for "cedar hope chests" and for closets and such. Stay away from anything that is not specifically designated as SPANISH CEDAR. No western cedar/red cedar/white cedar/ etc. etc.

ky toker said:
And I may know of a crafts shop which has plain cedar boxes, so I'll make a look.

Just an FYI:

You need to make sure that you are getting SPANISH CEDAR not plain cedar.....often times plain cedar (as it is referred to) will wind up being aromatic red cedar like what is used for "cedar hope chests" and for closets and such. Stay away from anything that is not specifically designated as SPANISH CEDAR. No western cedar/red cedar/white cedar/yellow cedar/etc. etc. There are lots of types of cedar....

Here's a place that sells 10 types:

http://www.koenigcedar.com/quikreference.htm

(Spanish Cedar included!!) :D

Back