Chambrer wine cooler user opinion

larryinlc

Evolving Lead Gorilla
Stock photo...too lazy to take my own.

chanbrer.jpg

I've had this cooler about one week, and couldn't be more pleased. Measures about 20 inch cubed and weighs roughly 20 lbs. Constructed of plastic. Not too big or heavy, but still able to hold my cigars. Currently have only 60 or so stored, but it does have room for more. Boxed and unboxed.

This little unit has a thermostat which controls the temp from 39 to 68 degrees F. I've had it set at 66 for the past week and it seems to be constant at about 69-70. The digital read is a bit off, but my Radio Shack registers correctly, so I go by what it reads. I have kept at all times 3 cans of ice tea inside as well. Seems to work better when some actual liquid is introduced into the equation. These thermo-electric coolers must work like the opposite of a microwave. Need something inside to actually make it perform as intended.

Fan noise is a bit louder than a desktop computer and maybe a little louder than I had hoped, but it's managable. Not too noticable unless all is quiet. Runs more when ambient temp is higher of course. Nice touchpad control on the frame when the door is opened. Easy to set the temp with + and - keys. I've got it lined with the usual cedar, and a few boxes. Does this really help?:)

All in all, I'm very happy with the Chambrer cooler, and for the quality, the prices are dirt cheap on ebay. Shipping might hurt though. It works for what I want it to do, and seems to do it quite well. I can't believe I lived this long without one. ~70 degrees and ~66% humidity all week with no fuss. Sure beats fretting over the climate and what it does to p**s me off.:D

This small cooler won't appeal to many people, but it does meet the needs of maybe a smoker with a small stash who wants the security of a beetle free environment.

There...the end of my very unprofessional users opinion.

Larry

No cedar. I have my full humidor and boxes inside the cooler. Nothing fancy, but it does keep things nice and cool.

Larry

It fluctuates when it cycles, but this is short term. On average, the temp and humidity are constant. I did have to dry it out once because of condensation. This is the only spike I had. I have a gauge both in the cooler and a remote inside my humidor which is in the cooler. Only thing I use is a large humidification device watered on one end. It seems to work. The temp and humidity do not suffer any swings inside the humidor as might be expected. Rock solid.

Larry

I purchased mine from shopdirect. http://www.shopdirect.com/products/Wine Coolers.html

They can be had cheaper on ebay though when they show up. Seriously, this will never pass as a top shelf humidor with fancy inlay and exotic wood, but if your after something that's plug and play to keep cigars cool it works very well. I keep most in a humidor within the cooler and they have maintained a steady 69 degrees with 67% humidity for the past week while the cooler itself fluctuates when it cycles. I have no humidification device in the humidor. It may change in time, but for now, it's smooth sailing. Today, the outside air temp is 92. Inside air at my house is set at 78. Cooler temp is 69, and internal humidor temp is also 69. A very useful product for storage, but there are many other brands that will accomplish the same task.

Only one minor complaint. It does run and stop fairly often, but the fan noise is not really objectionable. Probably not something you'd want next to the bed unless you like fan noise.

Living in the upper midwest, I also have the advantage of turning it off when the weather permits. It does a nice job unplugged as well.

Larry

Back