Chateau Fuente Sun Grown: I won't be denied.

ky toker

Chestbeating Pack Leader
Scoll to the bottom for the abridged review with no filler.

unabridged review:

It's been a rough week at work, so I brought in a cigar on Thursday to sit outside and relax a bit on lunch. So it was a CFSG that I plopped into my shirt as I headed out to work. Working thru the mucked up morning I eagerly await torching this cigar. Damned if it wasn't lunch time and the skies were getting dark and a shinizzle* drizzle was slowly coming down with a teasing attitude of "let me ruin your day". Mad I turned back thinking it had ended all chances of a good day, I stopped and declared war.

Stomping out the doors with a sandwich, diet coke, yogurt, cigar and cutter in hand I made my way. As I sat down I thought, "I'm I seriously going to sit out here", oh yeah, I was. Nothing short of gale force winds and a chill in the air that would make an eskimo shiver. The week has sucked and I'm turing it around, baby.

This short robusto was beautiful with the rich brown wrapper holding a reddish hue. The perfect cap perfectly cut off. Flicked the switch for my wind-resistant torch which proceeded to blow sideways torching the top of my thumb, so I reangled the cigar to light the foot. The first few puffs were giving me a taste of distinction; Sun Grown. Well crap, one bite into it my sandwich & it blows of the table. Correct the bad light, scoop up the sandwich and put it back together.

Working thru the 1st 3rd on this cigar I've enjoyed a bit of spice and creaminess with a hint of sweetness ontop. The flavor was more than just tasty, it was scrumptious. Finished with lunch and 1/2 way thru I adjourned to the car. Wanted to read a little while finishing both lunch & cigar.

I kept having to look at the cigar as if it were going to speak to me and give me a clue on the missing flavor. There was something there but I'm not sure what it was. Still buring with some spice {not as much} & creaminess this cigar never became harsh. All the way through the taste was delightful. At this point I couldn't help think, "do I like these more than the maduro?".

The ash was flakey and could be found in three places; out the window, ashtray and down my shirt into my lap. Oh well! I like good ash but I don't think it'll even determine what cigar I smoke. I don't shoot a gun to catch a bullet and I don't eat a steak to crtique....[we'll leave that alone]

It came time to pinch this off and head back into work. I felt great. I was relaxed and feeling rejuvenated. Yeah, I was headed back in but damn I felt better.

The Chateau SG left a soft taste which stayed with me for about another hour allowing me to remember the smoke. I would recommend this cigar to anyone. It comes medium in body and packs yummy flavors to keep you happy. It was a very good cigar. :D

abridged review

MMMM good! Buy one or 5 and maybe a box, this cigar I like a lots.

Taste: 4.2
Construction: 4
Burn/ash: 3.8
Experience: 4

Chateau Fuente Sun Grown: 4

*- shanizzle: I have no idea how to spell it, what it means or how to use it.

Last edited:
The SG Chateaus are the only AF SGs I can find consistently and I love these little guys. Hard to beat for the price and you get that AF quality and consistency. I know what you mean about smoking in adverse conditions, its been around 75 degrees when I smoke in the evening lately, absolutely brutal. :D
Thanks for the review.

Great review. Thanks for sharing. :) I enjoyed the story aspect to the review. I have always liked the fuente sungrowns and think they are a good cigar. I don't really think the price of a cigar should impact whether you like it or not, but this particular cigar is IMO a good smoke and a good value.

That was a great review!

I will definitely put the Chateau Sun Grown on my list to try.

Thanks for sharing.

Nice review; I love these cigars. For a little over 3 bucks each by the box, the Chateau SG is a killer value.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I know what you mean about smoking in adverse conditions, its been around 75 degrees when I smoke in the evening lately, absolutely brutal. :D
HaHa! Smartass.
I enjoyed the story aspect to the review
And I appreciate it. I usually prefer to make my post as short as possible.
Do these also smoke well when it's not raining
I've had a couple of these and IIRC they do smoke pretty good when it isn't raining. So, anything short of a white squall and you should be sittin' pretty.

Nice review; I love these cigars. For a little over 3 bucks each by the box, the Chateau SG is a killer value.
I was just looking around and seen where you purchased a box recently. Definitely a good buy.

If you haven't tried one, you've gotta' give them a try. And if you have them piled in your humi.....:w

The AF Chateau Sun Grown was probably my best find during my sungrown "phase." Tried every one i could find and it was my fav hands down. The price point was just a sweet bonus.

Niiiiiiiiiiccceeee review!!! I havent had a CFSG yet, but my local B&M has them in stock... and I am going to go pick up two tomorrow. :w :w Ill post my thoughts in a couple days.

These are a great little smoke. I bought a box of these and the maduros. They are both at the bottom of the cooler because I am trying to wait to smoke them. Out of sight out of mind... but after reading this I'll have to pull one out.

Great review. I have had a few AF of varying types but not one of these. I have not been a fan of AF's either (I don't know why) but, your review tempts me to give them a serious try. Thanks

Back