Check out my local B&M

SHOE

(__@_______{{{
This is Bruces Pipe Shop (B&B Tobacconists) in Asheville, NC.

http://www.brucespipeshop.com/MainShopLeft.htm

This is where I go to buy smokes and hang out a few times a week. They just got their website up and running but it's not finished yet. I love this place! It's in an old house and is what a cigar/pipe shop is all about. From the link you can see the main sitting room in the shop. This is where the "Saturday Morning Liars Club" commences. On the window bench you can see the red flags if somebody needs to call "foul". There is another one even bigger sitting room on the other side, but nobody goes in there much - they mostly hang out in the store. The owners, Mike, Jeff, and David are all great guys - very knowledgable and generous to the regulars. Each owner covers certain days of the week so if you want to see David, you go on Monday or Tuesday (Jeff - Wednesday & Thursday, etc.) I went in today and Dave had his dog Mo (his blond lab) there as usual. Mo sits on the bench and looks out the window or comes over to lie down beside you. I hope this place stays there forever. Give it a look.

Looks great-the comfy leather armchairs are a nice addition. Its good the place has character and nice people in it-it makes all the difference imo when youre there.

mhillsing23 said:
That looks great man. Seems like a good group of guys. Always nice to find a nice local!
I agree. It's about a mile and a half from my office so I go there on my lunch hour and have a smoke and shoot the bull. Yesterday Jeff gave me a freebie (Indian Tabac Maduro). Today I noticed a special on La Caya Vintage Churchills (which I like) - Buy 3 get 1 Free - so you know what I did...

There's a mini-herf going on all day every day. When you walk up the steps to the wooden from porch you can smell the stogies burning and you think to yourself, "Yep, I'm home." It's one of those things now where I go in, go into the walk-in and grab my smoke, light it and sit down, and then throw my money down and wave as I leave. They don't even flinch.

B&M story: I was in there one day a few weeks back and a guy walks in wearing a Perdomo smoking shirt carrying a case. You could tell he was a sales rep. Turns out, he was Nick Perdomo's brother-in-law. He said he was in Nick's wedding and what-not (take grain of salt here). He said Nick was just over in Fairview (small community outside of Asheville) for some R&R. Didn't even offer up any smokes to the few of us sitting in there. I have shunned Perdomo for a little while for that reason. He didn't know if I was loyal or not. Might have landed a customer or five that day... Oh well.

Thats a dream of mine Shoe,to open a shop of my own.Great looking place there. In reference to your sidebar check my post titled "They got me back" its kind of ironic...Dave

Now THAT's what it should be! One day I when I retire, I will open a place like that. Very cool indeed. Lucky bastage. :D

Nice looking shop.

Two questions for you.

1) what's thier cigar selection and prices like

2) how far would you say this place is From Deal Gap (Fontana Village area).

I may be in the area next month and if it's not far might ride over to check it out.

Very nice !!!! There's one shop close to that here in town. Something about walking in there.....you get that home feel. The floor creaks slightly......8' + ceilings, etc.......it just feel nostalgic in a sense. Cool pics....if I lived close, the family would never see me :D

While I love the large walk in humi's in Switzerland, the shops themselves tend to be very very sterile and not somewhere that you can really sit down relax and have a smoke (yesterday was the first time i ever saw someone smoking in a cigar shop in Switzerland). This place looks really neat, man I would love somewhere like that over here.

woobie said:
Nice looking shop.

Two questions for you.

1) what's thier cigar selection and prices like

2) how far would you say this place is From Deal Gap (Fontana Village area).

I may be in the area next month and if it's not far might ride over to check it out.

1) Their selection isn't what you get in the larger shops. Being a smaller shop they only carry what the regulars like and what moves. If something doesn't sell they take it off the shelf and offer a clearout deal and stock something new. The walk-in is small as you can tell but they have A. Fuente, LCG, CAO (Brazilia, Italia, Sopranos, Criollo, Gold), Ashton, Padron, Don Tomas, Don Diego, Primo Del Rey, Oliveros, RyJ, Partagas, Dynamite, Rocky Patel, Buccanero, Macanudo, Indian Tabac, Gurkha, La Caya, Helix, Maria Mancini and others that don't come to mind right now. They even have some of the Equadorian Swamp Tobbacco which they swear isn't bad (I've seen them smoking them). Mike Booher is one of the owners and he offers a "Booher's Smoke" which is a really good bargain stick (it's a buy 3 or 4 and get one free kind of thing). Their prices are comparable to larger shop like in the mall (some sticks cheaper, but never more than $0.50 more a stick). I do know places higher and they give you a 10% discount for a box purchase. I don't buy many boxes from them, it's really too hard for them to compete with online prices. I go there to pick up a few sticks or to get one and smoke it with them. If you're looking for the best deal and get pissed if a B&M is a little high, just stay away. This place is competative, but it's about the experience. I would much rather pay more per stick here and have the experience than to save a buck or two and take them home.

2) Fontana Village Resort (N. Fontana Dam, NC) is about 85 - 90 miles west of Asheville. It's a beautiful drive if you get off of the interstate and take the scenic route. I don't think you would regret the trip into Asheville and Bruces might be a good stop for you. If you decide to I would love to treat you to a smoke. The same goes for any of the B&SOTL that come to Asheville.

Last edited:
Back