Chestador

LordOfWu

Evolving Lead Gorilla
OK, so it was time to start getting serious and get some real humi space to start storing and aging my smokes. To this point (and for a very long time, I might add) I've pretty much just bought to smoke, not truly see how good I could get them. So I start looking at tuperdors and coolerdors, and I got some wet foam (I was not on CS yet, beads will be ordered here shortly) and poly solution and a hygrometer/thermometer...but my wife was less than thrilled with the concept of a cooler for a humidor. So looking around we both noticed this tea chest from Japan that my parents had given us a while ago. My dad is retired Navy, they've had this since before I was born, and my wife asked if that would work, so I cleaned it out and put the foam and hygro in there. Sure enough, only a few days later it steadied out right about 68%!

2186019305_91fdd78a25.jpg

It was used to ship tea around Japan (no odor left, but the wood smells good!) It's tin lined and holds humidity quite well. I put some old cigar boxes in there, and BAM! a new, big humidor! Now I have some stuff loaded in it (wife slowed down the descent down the slope this month, :mad:), but here's the inside.

2186800674_4064648bcd.jpg

Just thought I'd share. I am really looking forward to some more boxes and 5-ers getting in there soon!

OK, so it was time to start getting serious and get some real humi space to start storing and aging my smokes. To this point (and for a very long time, I might add) I've pretty much just bought to smoke, not truly see how good I could get them. So I start looking at tuperdors and coolerdors, and I got some wet foam (I was not on CS yet, beads will be ordered here shortly) and poly solution and a hygrometer/thermometer...but my wife was less than thrilled with the concept of a cooler for a humidor. So looking around we both noticed this tea chest from Japan that my parents had given us a while ago. My dad is retired Navy, they've had this since before I was born, and my wife asked if that would work, so I cleaned it out and put the foam and hygro in there. Sure enough, only a few days later it steadied out right about 68%!

2186019305_91fdd78a25.jpg

It was used to ship tea around Japan (no odor left, but the wood smells good!) It's tin lined and holds humidity quite well. I put some old cigar boxes in there, and BAM! a new, big humidor! Now I have some stuff loaded in it (wife slowed down the descent down the slope this month, :mad:), but here's the inside.

2186800674_4064648bcd.jpg

Just thought I'd share. I am really looking forward to some more boxes and 5-ers getting in there soon!
First, let me extend a welcome to the Jungle.

As much as I hate to say it, my wife gave me a hard way to start my coolador too. But once I got it started, bought the 65% RH Beads, put my Ceder boxes and trays in, I was set to go and I thought home free. That is until my wife asked, "why do do keep buying more cigars when you haven't smoked what you've got?" Well, that slowed my purchases down a bit but I should note that it has only slowed my purchases down not stopped them. Now she can monitor how quickly the available space is running out.

I share this with you just as a warning, beware of how you arrange the contents in the "Chestador." When you are not looking, others will be.

Good luck and enjoy the smokes.:ss

Back