CI Legends: Don Pepin Garcia

MikeyC

SilverBack
I decided to burn one of these sticks today because I had never had one before and they are featured on JoeCigar.com today. It's a great deal and if I liked it I had planned to bite on the JC deal. I originally bought this cigar from the devil site as a part of a "Pepin sampler" which I went after because when I joined CS I heard a lot about Pepin and decided to see what all the hype was about. The sampler has been resting in my humi for about 6 weeks or maybe a little longer. I already smoked both Pepin Blues from the sampler and enjoyed them immensely. On to the review . . .

Maker: Don Pepin
Filler: Habano, Nicauraguan
Wrapper: Nicarauguan Corojo
Size: 5.7" x 54RG

Pre-light: Like all Pepins I've seen this was a well constructed cigar. It had a nice firm feel with no soft spots. The wrapper is an earthy tan/brown color and is smooth like velvet. Veins were visible throughout the wrapper but they were small and did not largely protrude. I gave the cigar a snip with my Acid double guillotine and took a draw. There was a definite earthy flavor with a tobacco flavor. On a side note, I just traded away my Xikar and am already regretting it. The cut of the Acid DG was terrible. I'm waiting for the next Palio group buy though.

First third: The cigar lit right up. Immediately, there was plenty of velvety smoke. Near the end of the first 3rd, I did have to correct the burn as it was uneven. Intially, I tasted some strong cedar flavor and some light leather along with some spiciness. The spiciness began to build and after the first 1/4" all I could taste was spice and pepper.

Middle third: During the middle of the cigar, all I could taste was spice and pepper. Each puff was like taking a shot from a Tabasco bottle. It was so spicy I contemplated tossing the cigar. In the interest of doing a review though I soldiered on. Near the end of the middle 3rd, I again corrected the burn as one side was burning noticeably faster.

Final third: Throughout the last 3rd, I was correcting the burn quite a bit. The spiciness/pepper continued but every so often would fade a little and I would taste a little cedar. Towards the end of the last 3rd, the wrapper did unravel a touch but not enough that I would really knock the cigar for it.

Comments: I didn't really enjoy this cigar. I'm not a big fan of really spicy food or cigars. I do like spice, but I much prefer a more complex flavor. In this cigar, the flavor was absolutely dominated by the spice and I would rather see additional flavors come through to complement the spice. I would rate this cigar as medium bodied. There was no end to the plumes of smoke throughout and the draw was maybe a little on the easy side for my taste. A "V" cut might have solved that issue, but probably would have intensified the spicy flavor even more. If you like a lot of spiciness this is the cigar for you. If you're like me and would prefer a more complex cigar look elsewhere. It's a real shame for me because the Pepin name is so well thought of and my experience was that this is really a very boring cigar.

I haven't smoked any of these yet but it sounds like it might be very good cigar to let rest for a while. I recently had a DPG Black with a year on it that was smooth and creamy yet spicy in a more complex way that didn't just knock the teeth out of my head :ss

I bought a box of these from the Devil a while back. But I had gifted all but 6 before I tried one. Not a bad smoke, milder than most Pepins, but still had the pepper and spice profile. I think your review was pretty accurate, it sounds like Pepin's may meet your current flavor profile. Maybe try the JJMaduro, its a bit sweeter than most Pepins. Stay away from the Old Henry's which are like Pepins on HGH!:ss

I haven't found these too spice. Not my favorite Pepin though, especially since I prefer thinner RGs. My main complaint on the two I've smoked is they seem loose on the draw.

Nice review. :tu I like a peppery and spicy cigar, but there do need to be some of those flavors there. I was gifted one by Bob but haven't tried it out yet. Maybe I'll let it rest awhile and see how it does in a couple months.

Thanks for the review.

Funny, but these are today's Joe Cigar specials (10 for 27.99). I picked them up because I haven't had em yet.

Now, I DO love a swift kick of pepper, so I'm looking forward to them now. After all, I'm sooooooo close to pulling the trigger on a box of Old Henry's, cause the price CAN'T be beat!

Funny, but these are today's Joe Cigar specials (10 for 27.99). I picked them up because I haven't had em yet.

It's not a coincidence. ;) I smoked this cigar today to decide if I wanted to buy more from Joe Cigar. I thought I would put up my review so people could have a better idea of the flavor profile of the cigar to help them decide if they wanted to buy. I decided to pass. However, I'm going to put my other yellow label down for a sleep to see if it improves with age.

I'm not saying I don't like spice in a cigar. I'm just saying I like to have other flavors to go with the spice. The cigar I smoked had no other discernable flavors. Hopefully some age will fix that.

Good review. I can't disagree with anything in the review.

I bought a box about 8 months ago and all of them are now gone. They are a good golf 'gar but not my favorite Pepin. The flavor seemed to be hit and miss with the box I got. Some seemed to have very little flavor and others were spot on.

Nice review MikeyC. I agree with some of the other posters that the DPG Legend will most likely get better with a little age on it. I like the cigar myself, one demensionable it may be, its a nice basic smoke. Let me know if you if you want to get rid of yours:D

Now, those Old Henry's sound like the ticket to me...:cb

It's not a coincidence. ;) I smoked this cigar today to decide if I wanted to buy more from Joe Cigar. I thought I would put up my review so people could have a better idea of the flavor profile of the cigar to help them decide if they wanted to buy. I decided to pass. However, I'm going to put my other yellow label down for a sleep to see if it improves with age.

I'm not saying I don't like spice in a cigar. I'm just saying I like to have other flavors to go with the spice. The cigar I smoked had no other discernable flavors. Hopefully some age will fix that.

How would you compare it to an RP 92?

Nice review MikeyC. I agree with some of the other posters that the DPG Legend will most likely get better with a little age on it. I like the cigar myself, one demensionable it may be, its a nice basic smoke. Let me know if you if you want to get rid of yours:D

Now, those Old Henry's sound like the ticket to me...:cb
I think I'll hide it under my other cigars for a while and see if it improves. I only have one more anyway.

Texan in Mexico said:
How would you compare it to an RP 92?

It's been a while since I've had an RP 92. However, if memory serves me the two cigars are totally different.

thanks for the review.. I just got a 5'er from the devils site and haven't tried one yet. I do like some spice to my cigars but not overly done. If it has any flavors of the Miami 8&11 that I'm smoking right now, i'll be happy!!

Thanks for the review Mike. I love the DPG Black's, Blue's, and the JJ Natural. The only Pepin I don't like is the JJ Maduro (Too sweet for me):tu

Well, finally got around to firing up a CI Legends yellow

While it's no fighting cock, I'd put it in the 'boating category'. I woudn't cry if it hit the water prematurely, and not a bad $2.79 stick. However, it's currently at the bottom of my 'favorite Pepins' list

I went through a fiver, but had a very different experience with them. I didn't find them spicy, more muted flavors with constant burn problems, like yours. Minor cedar with just a hint of spice, medium bodied and strength.

Believe it or not these were my least favorite Don Pepins.

Back