Cigar Aficionado is Starting to Get it

Just thought I'd report in on the latest issue of Cigar Aficionado.

I know its been discussed before about the quality of the Cigar Aficionado reviews as well as their articles and how they seem to turn a blind eye to the topic of Havana's. However, in their last 5 or 6 issues there has been a noticeable amount of praise for Cuban vitola's. I've been keeping my eye on them and they've actually gained a lot of my respect for some recent articles on the production and distribution of Habanos. I've been very happy to see this.

However in this month's issue Cuban Vitola's received top ratings in 3 categories!!! That's amazing for CA! I was really happy to see this.

The HDM DC took best in show in the DC category beating out many decent NC's and even the VR DA. Some would disagree with that but at least they are getting representation.

The Monte 2 took the Figurado category which is nice to see. They must have gotten ahold of a good one as these can be very inconsistent.

Then the Cohiba Corona Especial took the Panatela category! I often think that these get overlooked in the world of Cohiba as there are many great vitolas in the line. However they did rate the Vegueros in second, so they must have been smoking just the tiniest amounts of crack LOL

All in all I'd say that's a pretty good run for Cuban cigars in CA. Not too shabby.

Of course Habanos dominated the Connoisseur's Corner as it usually does, with RAG's, Party DP no 1's, Cohiba Lancero's, SLR Regio's, and SP Molino's all being represented.

Overall I'd say this is a positive thing for CA. What are your thoughts on this?

XXX

Last edited:
I agree Dustin. I think they have finally started listening to the masses and made some changes in their review process.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: as long as you don't take CAs reviews as gospel, it is a pretty good magazine. Lots of people don't like reading about million dollar yachts and jet rides, luxurious vacations, and gourmet restaurants, but I do. It's all part of "the good life" which I hope to participate in sometime in my life.

But all in all, the magazine is getting better and better with regard to Habanos.

Yes, noticed this myself. Although the Monte 2 has generally featured quite well in the past any ways. Makes me wonder where they get them cause I have not been lucky enough to have a good one yet.

All we have to do now is get them to improve their half a$$ed reviews that they write.

i was very happy to see HDM up front, i feel there boxes from 05 where better then recent years. As for the conoisseurs corner, the only non habano i ever see there is a davidoff or opus, i guess when factories (NC) age there smokes for you, its not as important as with habanos that reley soley on us for aging!

as for the rest of CA, i really cant take the lifestyle thing anymore. im glad i subscribe because id buy it anyway (yes 7 bucks just for some reviews but....) but after reading say 'Cigar Magazine' i just cant help but wish CA was on that level. CM stays focused on the largley interesting world of tobacco and cigars. there last issue was on Black (or Dark) Tobacco. they went through every cigar contributing country one at a time, from Brazil to Costa Rica to Cuba, explaining when the cuban seed was brought there, what geological areas grow what, what brands use leaf from where etc.

In CA i got to learn about Kurt Russell and his non exsistant love for cigars. BOOO!!! if the whole magazine was like the back id refrain from the boo, but its not :D

Being a Monte lover I noticed the high rationg on the Monte as well.

I think they are getting more serious with their writings. Especially since there are not so many new brands breaking out into the market and all the boom brands that did not make it dropped out of the rankings.

The issue you are speaking about is the first CA I have ever bought. It was definitely an interesting read. However, at 18, the Ferraris and the overpriced water shoes are pipe dreams for me.

Are there any decent publications out there that talk about cigars before page 160?

Yeah, but too bad they think they're GQ instead of CA...I liked them better when more of their focus was cigars...so I enjoy Smoke and CM, better...

CthulhuDawn said:
The issue you are speaking about is the first CA I have ever bought. It was definitely an interesting read. However, at 18, the Ferraris and the overpriced water shoes are pipe dreams for me.

Are there any decent publications out there that talk about cigars before page 160?

yes! see my rant a few posts up.

http://www.cigar-magazine.com/

The best CA article I've read was the two part Michael Jordan interview. It actually touched a bit into his world of cigars, pretty much a fan of ISOMs. The most interesting tidbit was the fact that he smoked a cigar before all of his home games during the last of his championship run. Really good interview...

I actually really enjoyed the Jordan issue. Gave his thoughts on cigars as well as his spending habits ($300,000 cigar purchase in one night ;)).

Richard, I really do think they're starting to take their reviews more seriously as I'm sure they were getting backlash for rating such blahzay NC's so highly. I think they are focusing on quality more now, not as much as they should but more than they used to.

Jason, maybe they've got a hard line into the Monte factory LOL They've got friends whose brother's cousin's sister's goat rolls in the factory :r

Ktulu, also check out the "European Cigar Cult Journal". IMO, they are the best cigar related magazine out there but sometimes difficult to find in the local B&M. The shop here in Sedona stocks 'em so they're easy to find. They focus on Habanos mainly but include NC's as well. They also have excellent in-depth articles on the Cigar Industry as well, which IMO is worth its weight in gold. I learn more from that magazine that I ever will from CA. :2

XXX

All I know is. I would like to smoke some of those aged cigars they do their reviews on...

RPB67 said:
All I know is. I would like to smoke some of those aged cigars they do their reviews on...

I see Marvin did a review on a RA Gigantes. Hmmm, wonder where he smoked it?:D

I dont know, I think C.A could use a few more ADS. :rolleyes: My wife picked up the vegas issue for me(she's almost trained) it was crap. read it in 2 minutes

RPB67 said:

Yeah, I'd love to get my hands on some of those bad boys. Especially the pre-Castro smokes they review.

CrazyFool said:
but after reading say 'Cigar Magazine' i just cant help but wish CA was on that level. CM stays focused on the largley interesting world of tobacco and cigars. there last issue was on Black (or Dark) Tobacco. they went through every cigar contributing country one at a time, from Brazil to Costa Rica to Cuba, explaining when the cuban seed was brought there, what geological areas grow what, what brands use leaf from where etc.

That was a great issue of CM-- and that article in particular. On the whole I've been really impressed with CM even though it seems to be a bit of a shill for JR Cigars. CA is fine when its focus is on cigars and the cigar industry, but unfortunately that seems to take up only about 20 percent of its content.

LasciviousXXX said:
What are your thoughts on this?
wake me when those phucks who do the reviews smoke the ENTIRE cigar before passing judgement. right now, they smoke the first 1/4-1/2" of a cigar ONLY. how the fluck can you tell how good a cigar is by that?

i've had some NCs that taste pretty good up to the 1/2" point, then go directly in the sh*tter the rest of the way...

what about all the flavor changes you can get from a cuban? hard to find that out from the first 1/2", huh?

too bad the rest of the mag has turned into a GQ/Robb Report type.
that's why cigar forums are the best source of info.

Back