Cigar Caddy Pressure Question

Gylen

Young Chimp
Hi Guys,

Flying to Portugal for a week of surfing tomorrow am and took delivery of my 5 ct Cigar Caddy this week. Really impressed with this piece of kit and am confident that there will be no repeats of my last cigar/bag/crushing experience!

My question though, is are these safe to check into the hold with my baggage? It's no big deal to carry on but in Britain they are touchy about cutters/lighters etc in carry on so I was going to sling them all in the Caddy and throw it in my main bag. I'm just nervous that the pressure/temp changes could split my sticks - am I being crazy? I know the box is airtight so I guess it shouldn't be a biggie but just wondered if anyone had any previous experiences? I bought some expensive Habanas to enjoy on my break so all care must be taken to ensure they travel better than I do!!

I am not sure about the smaller 5 ct one but the larger 24 ct one has a pressure release valve. I have traveled MANY times with it and it has never damaged any of my cigars. IT was a godsend having that pressure release valve too because it was damn near impossible to open it with that.

Nothing to worry about. The changes in air pressure may cause the Caddy to stay sealed shut when you get off the plane though.

If that happens just use the purge valve which will release the inside pressure and allow you to open the box

If it is a 5ct like mine, there is a slot to put a small lock and I use a key to pry it up. As for checked luggage, I have flown with cigars and travel humis in the cabin and checked and never had any problems. Note that I also fly every single week so if there were inherent problems, I should have seen them by now.

scottie

Last edited:
Good stuff guys - looks like I'm good to go whether checked or carry-on. I guess gone are the days when a man could travel with all the necessaries for civilised living close to hand!

Gylen

I have a question, what is the circular round disc on the lid? Are you supposed to wet that?

That's a foam humidifier that you are supposed to put a few drops of water on.

If you find that the 5, 10 or 15 count caddies become pressurized during flight, there is a small slot to pry the caddy open with a coin.

The larger count travel humidors have a release valve to let out the pressure. Just make sure to close the valve before traveling again.

I hope this helps

~Mark

I have a question, what is the circular round disc on the lid? Are you supposed to wet that?

it is a foam humidifier but i never use mine in any of my travel hummis....they will be fine for like 2 weeks without any humidification

I would avoid taking a nice lighter. Even in checked luggage torches are not allowed, unless in a DOT approved container. :2

I would avoid taking a nice lighter. Even in checked luggage torches are not allowed, unless in a DOT approved container. :2

Agreed - I've just finished packing and as it turns out, I've got room in my hand luggage for my cigar caddy so no worries there. I've tossed my cutter and torch along with the Swiss Army Knife and put them in my checked baggage so I should be set at the other end. Why the hell a man can't carry a pocket knife/cigar cutter/lighter with him is beyond me but there we are...

Thanks guys,

Gylen

Back