Cigar comment I'll try to avoid in the future.

Teninx

SilverBack
We have all seen lower-priced cigars described as being "a good smoke for the money." I've come to understand that this comment puts more weight on price and less on quality. It's taken me too long to figure out that, in the cigar biz, price is not a consistant indication of the quality of the cigar, but more an indication of the marketing desires of the manufacturer. When I'm talking to BOTLs about cigars from now on, I'll try to say;"It's a decent smoke, and the price is good too." Or; "I really disliked this cigar, and it's expensive as well."

I guess what I'm trying to say that I haven't found any pursuit where price and quality have a lesser relationship than in the enjoyment of cigars.

I disagree when you say that price is not a consistant indication of the quality of the cigar. MSRP is a pretty reliable indication of the quality of the product. With a few exceptions, you pretty much get what you pay for in terms of the quality of the materials and the workmanship—provided you’re paying MSRP.

I don’t disagree when you say that I haven't found any pursuit where price and quality have a lesser relationship than in the enjoyment of cigars but that’s a personal opinion, not a categorical statement. I am still very much a newbie in the hobby and I’m still trying out a lot of different smokes, but I’ve tried enough now to get an idea of what I like, and unfortunately for my pocketbook, my favorite smokes tend to skew to the more expensive end of the range of what I'm willing to pay for a cigar.

I have to agree with both of you... is that possible? I believe the price is a good indicator as to the craftsmanship that went into making the cigar. Generally an expensive cigar will have a better roll and burn than a cheapo... there are exceptions to make the rule, but as a rule of thumb. As far as the enjoyment of a cigar there are so many aspects. I enjoy collecting nice cigars (Opus X... thanks CG!) and smoking a really nice cigar occasionally, however i have found cigars for under 4 bucks that i think taste as good if not better than many 8 or 9 dollar cigars. For example i think the Diamon Crown Maximus is the bigest hoax out there... both i have had have been worse than many 4 dollar smokes.

SO to sum it up, yes price does mean something, but the taste of a cigar is generally independant of the price, and in my book the taste is the most important factor.

LT :gn

Working off my limited experience, it seems as if a higher MSRP equates to greater consistency and higher quality craftsmanship. While construction quality is a very important factor in my overall enjoyment of a given cigar, it runs a close second to flavor and flavor, unlike construction quality, does not seem to track with MSRP. Also, I look for value in all purchases I make and, dollar for dollar, I think high end cigars are a poor value. I have yet to have a $25 cigar that is, dollar for dollar, better than certain $5 cigars, they are typically better made, but don't provide enough difference in overall enjoyment to justify the higher price. Just MHO derived from my own experiences.

Ive found that to an extent MSRP is a good indicator as at the very low price scale, all the money is spent on marketing and very little on the gar whereas a high MSRP indicates that more is spent on the tobacco itself. however i feel a ceiling point is reached where price stops being an indicator of quality ingredients and more of a Unique Selling Point-notably the price becomes what youre smoking-an image, not a cigar.

I find that a high price means almost nothing. A low price doesn't necessarily mean a bad or mediocre cigar, but the correlation is stronger the lower the price.
That is to say, it's easy to find expensive cigars that suck, and much harder to find cheap cigars that are great.

TU09 said:
Working off my limited experience, it seems as if a higher MSRP equates to greater consistency and higher quality craftsmanship. While construction quality is a very important factor in my overall enjoyment of a given cigar, it runs a close second to flavor and flavor, unlike construction quality, does not seem to track with MSRP. Also, I look for value in all purchases I make and, dollar for dollar, I think high end cigars are a poor value. I have yet to have a $25 cigar that is, dollar for dollar, better than certain $5 cigars, they are typically better made, but don't provide enough difference in overall enjoyment to justify the higher price. Just MHO derived from my own experiences.

In tracking with TU and LT, I have to note that there are many examples out there of $2 to $4 cigars that smoke as good and as consistent as $10 to $20 cigars. Price can be an indicator on the top end as well as the bottom end, but I find more exceptions on the lower end of the price range than on the upper end; i.e. Most higher priced sticks tend to be good sticks, with a few exceptions, while I find many sticks in the $2-4 range that I like as much, or better than the ones that sell for $15 each.

Famous 3000's comes readily to mind. Taronos Sigs by the box can be had for less that $5 per stick. Onyx Reserves can be purchased for around $2 per stick, and are almost as flavor packed for me as the Sigs. And there are at least half a dozen other examples of $3-5 sticks sitting in quantity in my two coolidors at this moment that are great smokes.

I think the expectations that a high price equals an enjoyable smoke goes haywire more often for two reasons: First, many of the high priced sticks out there tend to be on the full body side of the spectrum, and are "above" the taste buds of many that try them early in their smoking experiences. I say this based on my own personal observations. I have a couple of dozen Opus sitting, waiting for me to get more used to them than I was when I smoked my first one and said "What's the big deal". Many of the stronger sticks I tried early on that I was un-impressed with, now appeal to me much more than they did two years ago. Letting these cigars sit for an extra year probably hasn't hurt any either (which ties directly into the second factor).

I know it has been said before, but I will say it again, because it is important. If at all possible, let ANY cigar you buy sit in your own humi for at least a couple of months if possible (especially if they are stored in cello). I am amazed at the sticks I buy from walk-in humis with good rh shown on the hydrometers, that will almost explode from a lack of humidity if I try and smoke them right out of the humi. You really have no way of knowing how often that humi has been opened, how old or new the stock is, how the cigars were stored before they were put in the walk-in the day before yesterday afternoon, and so forth. As a result, I have had more bad experiences with cigars of ALL price ranges when I smoke them straight out of a B & M's humi. Does anyone here smoke sticks recieved in the mail straight from the mailing box??!!?? I have had some good ones straight from a B&M, but as a precentage, many more bad ones with too little rest than I get from those in my own humi, where I am SURE of the storage condition and the storage time.

I guess the need to have secure knowledge of the storage conditions of your smokes and the effect of that storage on the taste and smokability is the main reason the slope is so steep in this hobby in terms of multiple humis/coolidors/fridgeadors that we all read about. The more you smoke, the more you come to realize that you can have almost as much influence on the enjoyment of your smokes as the roller and manufacturer, regardless of the price of the stick. A good stick, stored poorly will almost always be a disappointment, while an average stick stored properly will almost always be a pleasant surprise!

Everyone is making excellent points with which I can somewhat agree. My personal philosophy used to be that anything cheaper than, maybe $3.50, will be a bad cigar. I thought this for the longest time, until a good friend introduced me to the Indian Tobac line and I was completely hooked. Now I too am always looking for great cigars that happen to be inexpensive.

This also varies greatly depending on whether you are buying from a local B&M or from the internet; or if you are buying singles, bundles or boxes.

I see no relationship between price and quality, and taste is purely subjective.

I bought 2 boxes of Buena Cosechas for $20(each) from Holt's last month, the construction on all of the sticks has been excellent, perfect burn on each stick. They used to retail for closer to $60 - so call it a $3 cigar if you want.
Many of us have come to love Famous Nicaraguan 3000 cigars at $40 a bundle, on my third bundle now and haven't hit a plug or a void yet. Both of these $1 and $2 cigars have had great construction quality and taste I personally love.

Last month I smoked two Graycliff cigars (A Crystal PG and a Grand Cru Salomon). Both cigars tasted good to me, but not as good as the Buena Cosecha and Famous 3000 mentioned above. What is worth noting though is that both of these $15+ cigars had horrible burn and multiple voids - construction quality was poor. The voids where large enough that a slight squeeze on the wrapper would reveal them. Many people have told me this is not typical for Graycliff cigars, but I had 2 different lines that were likely rolled 1+ years apart - both with construction not acceptable in a $3 cigar let alone one that costs 5X+ more.

Smoke a lot of cigars and buy more of the ones you like!:w

SvilleKid said:
In tracking with TU and LT, I have to note that there are many examples out there of $2 to $4 cigars that smoke as good and as consistent as $10 to $20 cigars. Price can be an indicator on the top end as well as the bottom end, but I find more exceptions on the lower end of the price range than on the upper end; i.e. Most higher priced sticks tend to be good sticks, with a few exceptions, while I find many sticks in the $2-4 range that I like as much, or better than the ones that sell for $15 each.

funny that you and I just said the exact opposite :)

Interesting thoughts there, Tennix. Your opinion of a cigar is prob'ly a more reliable guide for me than magazine ratings prepared by I-don't-know-who which factor price, quality, flavor and construction into a single rating. Price matters, but not as a factor that should be averaged into flavor and construction. I find the total value ratings pretty much useless compared to a Klugs reference for a Punch Rare Corojo or El Rey Del Mundo Oscuro, whose (very reliable) opinions I have tested/confirmed with my palate. Price, for me, is a whole nuther thing.

Besides, what IS price as part of cigar value? Factor-schmactor - a $15 cigar is one thing for a Park Avenue plastic surgeon and another for a South Park Community College scholarship student regardless the cap construction or what it tastes like to either of them.

gonna have to disagree that price=the quality of the cigar.
Maybe for the most part yes, but not always
its just like cars.
I have seen Hondas with 290,000 miles still rollin. Never seen a Vette with 290,000.
Price is not always an indicator.
I will probly get bashed for this:
I feel sorry for people that have the I have to pay X amount of dollars for something because, "its expensive dammit it's gotta be good

OilMan said:
I have seen Hondas with 290,000 miles still rollin. Never seen a Vette with 290,000.

TOTALLY off topic but have you ever seen a Corvette speeding?
Whenever I see them they're always driving like my mom drives.
It's like they don't know how to have fun, or they're afraid to or something...

i really don't know if price is a good indicator of quality i have had helix cigars bought out of a humidor at a local grocery store for $5 that were decent and i have bought the $17 cohiba as well and didnt like it as much. thats why this hobby is so much fun for us. its an adventure. you smoke some and stomp the rest out. to go along with so many other cliches. you live and you learn.

When you're dealing with inexpensive stogies you immediately lower your expectations whereas when you're shelling out $10+ a stogie, your expectations are higher. I try not to compare the $10+ stogies with the less expensive stogies, its like comparing apples to oranges. You have to put the two in different catergories. One for hand-made stogies (the less expensive) and one for premium stogies (the $10+) and compare stogies within their own category...well at least thats what I do. Comparing a Padron Ani to a Consuegra is doing a disservice to both stogies. IMO.

My entry to the world of fine cigars came about 20 years ago, but I think it's only been in the last five or so that I've actually gained an appreciation. I've narrowed my choices, am less obsessive about jumping on the latest offerings (OK, I'd snap up an Ashton ESG in an instant :r ) And I've seen great offerings all over the map when it comes to price. Thanks all for great comments and discussion!

I just like what I like, and wish they all cost a nickel. :w

The boxes of Padrons that my brother and I should be getting in the mail today will come to about $2.40/stick for the 2000M and $2.80/stick for the 3000M, which I don't think is bad at all for some great cigars.

I'm not sure yet if price equates to quality/great cigars, but I do know that the more expensive ones seem to be better. Then again, it's probably due to my expectations. :)

-M

M Thompson said:
I just like what I like, and wish they all cost a nickel. :w

The boxes of Padrons that my brother and I should be getting in the mail today will come to about $2.40/stick for the 2000M and $2.80/stick for the 3000M, which I don't think is bad at all for some great cigars.

I'm not sure yet if price equates to quality/great cigars, but I do know that the more expensive ones seem to be better. Then again, it's probably due to my expectations. :)

-M

These are my top everyday smokes. I have smoked much more costly cigars that have much nicer packeging but just do not compare. I smoke the cigar not the overpriced hype. Just my 2 cents. Not always but price seems to have a direct relation to fancy boxes, tubes etc..

Back