cigar construction

AAlmeter

HOT for HILLARY!!
Ive been wondering this for a while now. I have never really experienced a great taste change in a cigar towards the end (been smoking for about 5 years....2 if you are going to prosecute me for underage smoking)...until tonight. I had a CAO Cameroon Toro, which Ive had many times, and the taste changed a lot towards the end. I could be wrong, but Ive always been under the assumption that the same blend is used throughout the cigar....if thats true, then what causes the change? Buildup of oils? The heat?

The build up of nicotine has a huge impact on the flavor of the cigar towards the end. The heat can also affect the taste. Also, your palate will adjust or change during a cigar depending on how you smoke it.

I agree with Matt's points -
I would like to add that the draw will change as well during the smoke. For me, the draw, tar buildup, and increased heat make that last third of the smoke significantly different than the beginning.

If you don't like the cigar, keep smoking - it might change!

sirwood said:
If you don't like the cigar, keep smoking - it might change!
That's exactly what happened to me while smoking one last night. With about 2" to go, it all of a sudden got hot and a little harsh. Maybe 5, 6 puffs later it had cooled off and mellowed out again. I was glad I didn't put it out when it first heated up.

Cigar taste

No! Factories do not use the same leaf throughout the entire cigar. The different types & leaves are rolled in the bunch in a manner to give it a particular kind of flavor & complexity. Yes, there's the effect of the nicotine & build-up of the partially burned alkaloids, as well as the effects of moinsute & heat.

Several years ago I met Mr. Dale Scott, who use to write for Smoke Shop magazine and he asked that same question pondering on the effect of the cigar's flavor. Well, it was several months after my chat with him that I was visiting a cigar factory & placed close attention at the cigar bunchers. Yp, they used different whole and partial leafs along different parts of the bunch.

Mo

I've seen different leaves get put at the foot from the head, and from the center to the outside of the bunch.

MoTheMan

Learn something new everyday....I always assumed it was just inside to out, but I guess theres no reason why they wouldnt differ from tail to head as well

I am not convinced the effect I have experienced (different taste as cigar progresses) is the result of 'different leafs'.

I believe the change is more pronounced in long fill, quality cigars. Long fill may be defined as "contains the whole leaf running from the head to the foot of the cigar". While the proportions of wrapper/binder/filler will vary slightly throughout the cigars, the blend should be fairly consistent.

I could see where short fill cigars may have unique leafs at different places in a cigar. Also, I usually smoke a ~50 ring - this size may also play a role in my observations.

Back