Cigar Cutting 101 - In Pictures - (Maybe 56K Hostile)

RGD

Elder Jungle Leader
As it's always a topic of how to cut your cigar - I thought I'd show you how I do it all. First up is the cutters I will be using and the volunteer smokes -
My youngest daughter helped by taking the pictures - not bad for her first time using my camera.

IMG_0142.jpg

In this picture is what I consider the best way to learn to cut the correct amount off. Now I am using an XiKar here but most all cutters will work the same way. Start by opening your cutter and laying it flat on a surface.

IMG_0146.jpg

Now insert your smoke directly into the center - then snap the cutter shut.

IMG_0147.jpg

You should end up with a perfectly cut smoke ready to enjoy.

IMG_0149.jpg

Re: Cigar Cutting 101 - In Pictures -

For the next cut we will prepare a torpedo shape cigar. Here I am using the Palio.

IMG_0150.jpg

Inserting the tip into the cutter somewhere between 1/4" to maybe 3/8". Remember that you can always cut off more if the draw is not good enough for you.

IMG_0151.jpg

Ready to go!

IMG_0152.jpg

Again using the Palio we will do a traditional cut. Just like the first example except no table.

IMG_0153.jpg

What I am trying to do is to just take off the cap - and nothing more.

IMG_0154.jpg

Mission accomplished!

IMG_0155.jpg

Notice how thin the slice is. Again if you have a bad draw you could either re-cut or grab your Henry's Tool -

IMG_0156.jpg

And lastly is the punch. Mine is made by Dottatus Solingen - it contains two sizes of cutters. You simply twist the end cap to get whatever size that you need.

IMG_0157.jpg

I grasp and cradle the cigar in my left hand, and using my thumb as a guide, position the cutter against it.

IMG_0158.jpg

Once I get it where I want it then it's a simple twist. I normally go clockwise with slight pressure as it cuts into it. With a little practice you can feel when it goes throught the cap.

IMG_0159.jpg

Once through the cap, a slight wiggle and the cut part simply falls right on out.

IMG_0160.jpg

And there ya go. I'm sure everyone has a favorite cutter and technique - but those are mine.

Good luck with it all!

Ron

Last edited:
Great post RGD. !! I use that first method from time to time on some vitolas, but some of the cutters I use are a bit too shallow. !

Very nice effort. Informative and entertaining. Kudos to your photogapher, tell her that the depth of field was right on! BTW where did you buy your punch?

Thanks again, this is the kind of content that makes CS shine as a community:tu

I can definitely appreciate this guide. It makes me feel better about trying to cut a torpedo correctly. Thanks for including pics. People like me need em! :D

-J

Nice thread, this also reminds me I need a new cutter, my cheap ass one from the B&M is going dull and tearing up my cigars. :mad:

Thanks for the great thread. I personally use a punch that cost me $7 and makes one size hole so I'm happy to see the higher end stuff and what it can do.

I used a cutter a while ago, it was a cheapie and ruined cigars and that soured me on cutters so I'm happy to see what a good one can do.

Thank you.
Rob

Great schooling Ron .

I use my Palio all the time no matter what cigar that I am smoking.

This is "Sticky" material in my opinion. Great tutorial. :tu

Back