Cigar-friendlier: Austin or Phoenix

bama

ChestBeater
Hey, everyone. I have until Friday to choose between jobs in Austin and Phoenix. At this point, it's a coin toss. The cigar issue could honestly tip the scales. It seems PHX has more places to smoke (Austin restaurants are smoke-free, apparently.) via cigar bars/lounges and more retail shops with smoking areas. Am I right about this? Where are the good places to smoke in these 2 citites?

Everywhere in city limits is smoke free here in austin. And you have to be 15 ft. away from buildings so many outside smoking decks have been cut. I do believe somone told me of one place here in town that has a cigar lounge,but I have yet to see it. You can't even go to the bars with a cigar or cig at that.

Well if arizona is doing the same,I say come to texas :) I have fam from chicago and they love it here. Plus austin isnt to concrete jungle yet,we still have lots of green grass and trees spread around.

Since AZ passed a no smoking law, I guess the heat will be a factor, I have lived in both, Austine 90 to 100* 70% humidity, Phoenix 110* 9% humidity, You do the math. Phonenix has three month of friggin hot weather but 9 months of great weather. Me, I pick Phoenix.....:2

Austin, and the People's Republic of Travis County, is the Heart of Darkness; avoid it like the plague.

:D Seriously, Texas is awesome, just don't get confused thinking that Texas is like Austin. You have to drive another 30 minutes or so, then you hit Texas.

City of Austin is smoke free, but there are a few places that have been grandfathered in: Habana House (inside the cool S. Austin coffee house Ruta Maya); Cool River on the north side of Austin; and Little Woodrows, just outside N Austin in Round Rock. The surrounding cities haven't all gone smoke free yet.

Some of the decks have been cleared for smoking, but this town is so laid back (generally speaking) that when it comes to herfing time, the warring parties generally stay away from one another and pick sides of the deck. The overprotective minivan moms will glare from time to time, but if you glare back they'll gather their gaggle and move away from you :ss

I'm an Austinite and love it here. Lots of growth, lots of youth, lots of fun stuff to do, high quality-of-life here. So move to Phoenix ;)

Austin, and the People's Republic of Travis County, is the Heart of Darkness; avoid it like the plague.

:D Seriously, Texas is awesome, just don't get confused thinking that Texas is like Austin. You have to drive another 30 minutes or so, then you hit Texas.

Spoken like a true Aggie...

But there's some truth to it: Austin is the Blue oasis in a sea of Red hell :fu

Having spent twenty years in Phoenix, I'm just happy to say I no longer live there. After the latest smoking ban passed, it's obvious that it's not the place I used to know and love but, rather, an estward expansion of California. From now on, I'll limit my visits to the winter when it's pleasant enough to smoke outside on patios.

As far as Austin goes, well, as someone else said, it's not really Texas :)
I believe the ban is more restrictive there, but the weather is also better. One thing to consider: the cost of housing in Austin is way less than Phoenix, so, if you move there, you can afford a bigger house with more room to smoke--since, apparently, one's own home is about the only place to smoke any more.

Another vote for Austin. Since you live in Chicago, then you know how the humidity gets, but honestly, it isn't that bad. Plus, Austin has a great assortment of ourdoor festivals and events, that you will be reminded of the neighborhood outings. On the plus side, there are lots of things to do, on the minus, it is raining a lot lately so bring your ark with you.

One more plus for Austin: it's pretty close to DFW, so you and Musiq can car pool up to herf at one of our smoke-friendly steakhouses with BeagleOne and me :ss

I've only visited Austin several times (my brother lives there), but it seems like a great place to live with lots to do. You'll probably end up living outside Austin anyway like in Round Rock or Cedar Park.

On a more serious note, I've never lived there, but I've visited several times (for political and personal stuff) and my brother does live there, with his wife, so heres what I know; Austin is the seat of Texas politics, and you will find a lot of hippies there. I don't mean just liberals in general, I mean honest-to-goodness hippies... and loads of liberals. And not just liberals, but the uber-activist variety. But there is lots of stuff to do, in a much more compact format than I'm used to (grew up in Houston where everything was at least 15 miles away). And it is the live music capital of the world, or so they say. Well, at least North America. Its also a very gay-friendly city (however you feel about that)* with a lot of that artsy crap, if thats up your alley. Its where Whole Foods started; they have a gi-normous store there, with lots of stuff (I happen to like some of the things Whole Foods carries that I can't seem to find at HEB). When I was there, I picked up a bottle of wine marked $999.99 thinking, "Thats funny, must be a typo". Then I saw others marked in the $800 range, so I quickly put it back, afraid they'd make me buy it. There are lots of different types of restaurants, so virtually every kind of food you can imagine is available. Its a "college town" (I don't think it quite qualifies as a town), but those students are t-sips, so that doesn't mean much. So there are pluses, and minuses but... the hippies, man, the hippies. And yes, I'm an Aggie as was noted, so I view Austin through maroon colored glasses.

Sorry, I don't know anything about Phoenix. I went to Arizona once to help my brother move from ASU to Austin. Its hotter'n hell, tires were seriously melting to the pavement. Though with zero humidity, it didn't feel all that bad. I wasn't in Phoenix, though, I was in Tempe.

I just figured I'd share what I know since apparently they both have draconian anti-smoking laws, which seems to level the playing field for you again.

*I have to say, the gay bars have amusing names. The two I recall seeing were "Oil Can Harry's" and "The Boy Club".

If you're a gun or a cigar guy, Phoenix for sure. There are about 3409834 B&M's
here, many of them storefronts for large national chains.

Like another said, it's hot for 3 months, and perfection for another 9 months.

"housing is more expensive" is true if you're comparing austin proper to phoenix proper. At various burbs in the metro, however, such as Maricopa, AZ, you can get a ridiculous amount of house for little money. The housing market is currently in the toilet regardless of where you go so it's easy pickings right now.

One problem with Phoenix is that it has a lot of crime, no denying it. A lion's share of the violent crime is in phoenix itself. The defacto crime about the metro is auto theft. The cool thing is you can carry a sidearm in the open without a permit, and a concealed permit is easy to get with a few hours of class/training. 6-7 states or so reciprocal at this point. Not sure what Austin crime levels are.

Austin Metro: 1.6 million
Phoenix Metro: 4.1 million
Definetely more to do in Phoenix, and the geography and "wonders of nature" are off the charts. Scenic drives and views are a hop skip and a jump from anywhere in Phoenix or AZ for that matter.
If you ride a motorcycle, Phoenix is 100% scenery and twisties.

Austin is largely liberal, Phoenix is largely conservative. Phoenix has so many jobs available at one time it's unreal. It's impossible to be unemployed in ANY field in phoenix, sans snow removal. (which you could just do in flagstaff, a couple hours away.)

Phoenix is 2 hours away from any recreational activity on the planet.

Chicago kicks ass all over both of them (i'm biased, chicago-bred); the obvious choice is to not leave Chi-town. If you MUST leave though, I'd tend towards Phoenix for job security, climate (most of the time), things to do and gorgeous geography.

my two cents.....

City of Austin is smoke free, but there are a few places that have been grandfathered in: Habana House (inside the cool S. Austin coffee house Ruta Maya); Cool River on the north side of Austin; and Little Woodrows, just outside N Austin in Round Rock. The surrounding cities haven't all gone smoke free yet.

Some of the decks have been cleared for smoking, but this town is so laid back (generally speaking) that when it comes to herfing time, the warring parties generally stay away from one another and pick sides of the deck. The overprotective minivan moms will glare from time to time, but if you glare back they'll gather their gaggle and move away from you :ss

I'm an Austinite and love it here. Lots of growth, lots of youth, lots of fun stuff to do, high quality-of-life here. So move to Phoenix ;)

I have herfed with Muziq, he and the othere Austin Cigar folks were awesome. If you are unsure on Austin check out Bone Daddys, Tilted Kilt, and Cool River. Those places made me want to move there and I hated TX before. Thanks again Muziq and I hear there is a bit of a music scene in Austin as well.

I have herfed with Muziq, he and the othere Austin Cigar folks were awesome. If you are unsure on Austin check out Bone Daddys, Tilted Kilt, and Cool River. Those places made me want to move there and I hated TX before. Thanks again Muziq and I hear there is a bit of a music scene in Austin as well.

Hey Ben--good to hear from you! And how in the heck could I forget Tilted Kilt. Jeebus. The jail bait there...hard to concentrate on your cigar and beer when the cheerleaders-cum-naughty-Scottish-schoolgirls come traipsing by...:cb

Hey Ben--good to hear from you! And how in the heck could I forget Tilted Kilt. Jeebus. The jail bait there...hard to concentrate on your cigar and beer when the cheerleaders-cum-naughty-Scottish-schoolgirls come traipsing by...:cb
Um, Heath? Why the hell haven't you taken me there yet? :D

Can you smoke at these restaurants? I haven't seen anything on their sites re: cigars.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Keep it coming!

Can you smoke at these restaurants? I haven't seen anything on their sites re: cigars.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Keep it coming!

Inside: Cool River, Little Woodrows
Outside / Patio: Bone Daddys, Tilted Kilt

p.s. Congrats on your 200 posts Bama

Back