Cigar Insider, is information a cigar product?

El Gato

Gorilla
I just subscibed to Cigar Insider from the folks at Cigar Aficionado.
I've been looking at this for years and as a cigar information junky I thought this might be a good thing.
As their archives only cover the last four issues I'm afraid that I may have made a mistake. The ratings are interesting, but the "news" can be had for free on Rich Perelman's CigarCyclopedia.com for free.

I enjoyed the four issues that are archived, but I think all issues should be available. There is nothing in the teaser or FAQ that addresses this. Kinda lame IMHO.

Have any of you Gorillas been long term subscribers to this newsletter?
Can you share any opinions please?

For about the cost of a mid-grade box of cigars I'm getting 24 issues of potentially valuable information. Maybe this subscription will turn me on to a brand that will make this pay for itself. I think that it will, because information leads to some sweet deals. So on cursory glance this product seems worth it, I'll be sure to let you all know if anything fruitful comes of this.

I'd love to hear of anyone's experience with Cigar Insider. I know that whole "toasty cinnamon with the scent of smoked ladies garters" type of description can get old, but on the basics these guys are pretty good.

I'll be sure to post further reviews of this product in the future. I hope it gives me more pleasure than a lobster dinner with a couple beers and a Gran Habano #5 (the price of this subsription). I appreciate value, does anyone think this a good value? In the future I hope to report that it is.:confused:

Thanks for the review! I've always wondered about whether it iwas worth getting or not. Now I know. I get the CA mag and to me it's worth it. But that is a alot more substance that an e-zine.

The only reason I subscribe to it is to get early information on new cigars so I can add them to the T25C Review Database. Other than that, theinformation is easily available. I get plenty of the press releases that show up in CI emailed to me from the manufacturers for inclusion at T25C as well.

I had some time today so I really dug into the 4 issues of Cigar Insider on-line.
I'm thinking that maybe I should have bought the box of cigars instead of spending the $50 bucks on this.

The information is good, but is easily obtainable from Club Stogie and a lot of the ratings can be just as good on Top 25 cigar.
I'm thinking the only value may lie in the vertical tastings. That's where a panel will taste several sizes of one brand and rate them. I've found the Top25 cigar database very useful for selecting which vitolla to select from a single brand.
Some sizes and shapes are so much better within the same line. I think this may be the only useful tool in this product.
There is access to over 8000 ratings included in the subscription. This is pretty good, it beats rummaging through a decade of old CA magazines.

I'll keep looking at this and let y'all know if it's worth it. Right now I'm thinking I may have made a boo-boo. Should have saved the dough.

El Gato said:
I hope it gives me more pleasure than a lobster dinner with a couple beers and a Gran Habano #5 (the price of this subsription). I appreciate value, does anyone think this a good value? In the future I hope to report that it is.:confused:

The Gran Habano is about the only thing in CA that I can afford.

I'll stick with Top25 and Club Stogie.

I'm lucky that one of my BM's prints up a copy and leaves it lying around the shop.

In my opinion the information is not worth paying for, because like others said, it can easily be found on the board and other sources. Just my:2

You see this is where I kick myself for not finding this site sooner...I subscribe too and thought maybe something was wrong with me...I'm glad to see folks with the same opinion as me regarding CI. At least I subscribed for the 3 month plan and can choose not to renew. Thanks for sharing.

Back