Cigar Misconceptions

xxwaldoxx

Lowland Gorilla
A few weeks ago I was in my local B&M and cigar misconceptions came up. We were talking for a little while about them and I was surprised at how many guys believed in so many of the misconceptions.

I thought I would get some discussion going on the single misconceptions you dislike the most. Do you have a piece of advice or an argument to dismiss it?

For example, the single misconception that bothers me the most is in regards to dark cigars. On a regular basis I hear that dark cigars are automatically fuller than lighter cigars. This would be the one misconception I would do away with. The best way I could possibly argue it would be to show a Mild bodied cigar and a Full bodied cigar and let you see the difference in color and choose for yourself which really is mild and which is full.

Darker Wrapper - Milder Cigar
brian_helix_xp_1.jpg

brian_helix_xp_3.jpg

Lighter Wrapper - Fuller Cigar
OpusX-2.jpg

OpusX-3.jpg

If you had the ability to eliminate one cigar misconception which one would it be?

1. High sticker price means high quality cigar.
2. If a cigar is discontinued or rare, they are really good.

so how do you tell?

My suggestion would be to look into the makeup of the cigar or ask the sales person for more info. The dark wrapper is caused by a fermentation process which makes a Maduro (mature) darker colored leaf.

The combination of Filler, Binder, Wrapper are what gives a cigar its Body/Strength and in my experience there is no correlation between Body/Strength and wrapper color.

In the examples I provided, the Helix Maduro is a dark cigar that is very mild (at least to my palate) and the Opus X has a reputation for being a bit of a powerhouse.

If someone removed the bands from those two cigars and laid them out on your kitchen table, next to your morning cup of coffee, you may bit a bit ill if you lit up the Opus for breakfast thinking the lighter wrapper was the milder cigar.

If you had the ability to eliminate one cigar misconception which one would it be?

"B & M cigars are higher quality (stored better, etc.) than Internet vendor cigars."

We have all been to B & Ms where their storage conditions leave a lot to be desired. The quality myth is the effort of some shady B & Ms to persuade newbies that they shouldn't order online. Of course many of our favorite online vendors are B & Ms as well.

Agreed, Like the Oliva Serie V Dbl Toro ( Beautiful Cinnamon Cameroon Wrapper), knocked me back hard in the last 3rd of the smoke Up till that I'd call it mild to med, then bam a kick in the chest.... But a CAO MX2 Toro (Dark, Dark Chocolate Maduro Wrapper) Very smooth and med.

I'd like to eliminate the misconception that Cigar Aficionado ratings mean anything.

Or, rather, that one should only smoke cigars rated 93 or above, and that everything else is garbage.

"B & M cigars are higher quality (stored better, etc.) than Internet vendor cigars."

We have all been to B & Ms where their storage conditions leave a lot to be desired. The quality myth is the effort of some shady B & Ms to persuade newbies that they shouldn't order online. Of course many of our favorite online vendors are B & Ms as well.

I have always been leery of buying online due to the fact of well they are kept. I bought and they were fine. I have gone into a b&m shop that leaves doors open to their humi and have seen there hygrometer to see the numbers and sometimes they aren't good

I'd like to eliminate the misconception that Cigar Aficionado ratings mean anything.

Or, rather, that one should only smoke cigars rated 93 or above, and that everything else is garbage.

Agreed, I have smoke a flor de copan bundle that I bought from a shop for a dollar!! It was a very good tasting cigar. I could say the opposite for some that have a high rating from Cigar Afficionando

How about the biggest misconception of them all?

Someone else knows more about how I should enjoy a cigar than I do.

-Only stuffy, conservative old men enjoy cigars. Here in California it's shocking how many times I'm asked why 'I'm acting like an old man.' I'm 38 fyi.

-You should really slobber up the end of a cigar 'cuz that's what the 'pros' do.

-Rich people store cigars because they are a status symbol to give to their guests but are too smart to actually smoke them themselves.

The last two were recently discussed on a motorcycle board I participate in and was amused by the ignorance of info regarding cigars and their smokers.

1. The name on the band determines how good the cigar is.
2. The price of the cigar determines how good it is.
3. CA ratings are unbiased and accurate.
4. "Respectable" cigar makers don't enhance the color of their maduro wrappers.

The age stigma.

You have to be an old man to smoke a cigar.

33 years young here and hang out at bars and clubs with younger and older people and I smoke cigars. :)

i'm 26 and cigar smoking is my vice.. not to jack te subject but i was at a bbq yesterday with friends i havent seen in years.. and got nothing but wise remarks about my cigar smoking... as i loaded their faces with perdomo smoke.. :)

cuban cigars are better than every other type, thats what i hate. i was smoking a jlp one time, and heard 'is that cuban? wow, how much did that cost?' 'uhh... a buck fifty?'

the age thing as well, me and my buddies smoked outside our dorm last year, all 18, and got crap about it. we loved it

stearns

My suggestion would be to look into the makeup of the cigar or ask the sales person for more info. The dark wrapper is caused by a fermentation process which makes a Maduro (mature) darker colored leaf.

The combination of Filler, Binder, Wrapper are what gives a cigar its Body/Strength and in my experience there is no correlation between Body/Strength and wrapper color.

In the examples I provided, the Helix Maduro is a dark cigar that is very mild (at least to my palate) and the Opus X has a reputation for being a bit of a powerhouse.

If someone removed the bands from those two cigars and laid them out on your kitchen table, next to your morning cup of coffee, you may bit a bit ill if you lit up the Opus for breakfast thinking the lighter wrapper was the milder cigar.

These points are all well taken Walt.
What are your thoughts on thin RG cigars and the power and strength their wrappers impart?

"With enough age, any cigar will become better."
Sorry but a crap cigar will be nothing but a aged crap cigar if stored long enough.

"Save the best cigars for that special day"
Every day should be a special day

Back