cigar mold and humidifiers

Fireman

Maturing Primate
I was asked yesterday by a fellow fireman who has recently started smoking about cigar mold and humidifiers. The question is if a bad case of mold happens in a coolerdor is the humidifier still OK to use, or should it be tossed. I wasn't sure so I said I'd get back with him on it.

Any mold is bad bro. I, myself, would toss the cooler and the humidifier.

I was a home brewer for years, so I am a little extra anal about mold the such.

But that is just my $.02 Some would say you could salvage the cooler.

OPT

I concur with OPT--in order to get the cooler safe, wouldn't you have to use a type of cleaner that might run the risk of leaving residues? I wouldn't risk it!

I concur. Toss the dor and humidifier and smoke gars what you can. With the price of another cooler and humidifier I would just start fresh.

Also, frees up another brew cooler!:D

Hello, Im new here.

My suggestion is to toss the humidor but keep the coolerdor. The humidor is wood so its porous but the plastic cooler is not. Dont ever use bleach because the scent will kill the taste and aroma of your cigars.

If you have this problem with your coolerdor, throw all the moldgars and cedar strips away. take everything out and then use a non scented sanitizer... like the hand sanitizer and wipe everything down. Or.. just use non scented antibacterial soap.

let everything dry and then put ur gars back in.

Lawrence

Fireman:
Mold is mold and always seems to come back. Bleach kills most molds,but the residue does linger, especially when the Humidity rises. Junk all possible contaminants, and start fresh. Humidifiers are really hard to absolutely clean, and the risks of re-contamination is high...not worth the risk.
Ed

Back