Cigar Oasis?

ghostrider

SilverBack
I'm looking at turning an old cabinet into a humidor, and trying to decide the best way to hydrate the thing. Are beads a reasonable route for this? Or should I look at something like the Oasis? I've only ever used beads and PG solution/foam. Any pros/cons for either for something this large? Dimensions are roughly 15X25X32.

ok, i guess ill make my 1900th post a helpful one..

I dont think you will find anyone here that will not recommend Viper's Beads.. I, for one, used the beads as well as an oasis.. I found that with the larger cabinet, the oasis helped not only spread humidity, but circulated the air a bit, as it has a fan..

I dont think there is anything wrong with just going with the beads, and perhaps going to the grocery store and buying some OUST fans for circulation.. Just make sure you dont put the fragrance capsules in the fans!! unless you WANT to smoke vanilla mist cigars!!

justinphilly said:
oh, and by the way...

lose the foam and the pg solution either way..

Sorry, maybe my initial post was a little misleading, I only use beads now. Initially I had the pg solution in my humis.

I'm inclined to think that the beads, along with some cheap Oust fans sound better than $150-200 on an oasis, assuming I would get similiar results.

I have only used PG in my humidors. If you mix it yourself, it is cheap and you can buy enough of the wet foam oasis to equip 10 or more coolerdors for $6.

But, as of 2 minutes ago, I sent an E-mail to Viper about buying a pound of 65% beads. If we can arrange a phone transaction I will be going with the beads.

Ken

My opinion is to use both on larger cabinets - and is what I do. I have the largest Oasis for use in my cabinet and I use one of the smaller ones in my one desktop that I constantly open.
The Oasis will replace lost humidity a lot faster than the beads - but the Oasis can not take excess humidity away - hence I use the beads. It's the best of both worlds.

I do use the beads only in my coolers, desktops that I only open once a week or so and in my travel caddies.

Ron

Zoomschwortz said:
I have only used PG in my humidors. If you mix it yourself, it is cheap and you can buy enough of the wet foam oasis to equip 10 or more coolerdors for $6.

But, as of 2 minutes ago, I sent an E-mail to Viper about buying a pound of 65% beads. If we can arrange a phone transaction I will be going with the beads.

Ken

And I think you will love the beads once you get them - nothing more to buy for them outside of distilled water - and they will last longer than foam between wettings.

Good move there -

Ron

RGD said:
My opinion is to use both on larger cabinets - and is what I do. I have the largest Oasis for use in my cabinet and I use one of the smaller ones in my one desktop that I constantly open.
The Oasis will replace lost humidity a lot faster than the beads - but the Oasis can not take excess humidity away - hence I use the beads. It's the best of both worlds.

I do use the beads only in my coolers, desktops that I only open once a week or so and in my travel caddies.

Ron

Your comment that an Oasis can not take excess humidity away is interesting. I'm about to purchase a 100 size humidor along with the Oasis XL. I know it's a big investment for the XL and occaisional refill cartridges but I'm looking for minimum maintenance. Any thoughts ?

Doug

justasmoke said:
Your comment that an Oasis can not take excess humidity away is interesting. I'm about to purchase a 100 size humidor along with the Oasis XL. I know it's a big investment for the XL and occaisional refill cartridges but I'm looking for minimum maintenance. Any thoughts ?

Doug

I use the XL model in a big cooler. I am not sure of exact size because stickers are removed BUT ITS BIG. The XL preforms great, keeps dead on RH and recovers very fast after lid is opened. I have had to refill mine once in about 6 months. I just toped it off with distilled water. I highly reccomend them if you are mimium maintenance. You will know when to refill because the unit will run more often. Hope this helps. RJT

justasmoke said:

Doug

I would not buy an Oasis for a 100 count humidor - just the viper beads. One problem may also be that the 100 count may not be tall enough to even use an Oasis. In anycase - for that size - just get a small tube of beads and you will be fine.

The beads are very low maintenance - once you are up and running it could be at least two months or so inbetween wetting of the beads.

Ron

Back