Cigar Rotation

Lamar

OCD FOG
I have found that the cigars on the bottom of my humi seem to be better humidified than those on the top and I was wondering if I actually needed to rotate them. Is this a good idea? Is it one of those sorts of things that you should do like flossing, but you never seem to get around to it? How many of you guys (and gals) actually rotate your smokes?

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-02 AT 11:32 AM (CDT)]I have also heard that you should rotate cigars, but I have no personal evidence that it is necessary. I have never actively rotated my cigars. I have on occasion moved some around as a stock depletes or I need to make more room. I have been storing cigars for well over 12 years at this point and keep several thousand on hand and have never needed to rotate them. I have seen no ill effects from cigars being in the bottom or top or middle or wherever. Of course this does assume that one has a decent humidor and is vigilant in it's maintenance. Also you should arrive at your own conclusions. If the cigars at the bottom of your humidor feel better humidified you may want to experiment with placement. I firmly believe that although humidity and temerature should be controlled reasonably well, cigars are not as fragile as many folks think. I also believe that the main reason some folks rotate their cigars is a somewhat obsessive desire to look at and handle their precious babies. Oops, wait a minute that sound like me! Hmmm. Maybe they do need to be.....

Thanks for the feedback. I really don't want to get into rotating my stock for fear of damaging the wrappers and my gut sence that cigars like to be left alone to age.

I tell ya what I do. Once a month I take out all of my cigars for inspection. Not only do I look for beetles, mold etc. but I also get to rotate them within each box. I also rotate my boxes but I haven't seen a problem so far as I am lucky enough to keep my humidity at a level that keeps mold from forming.

I agree totally with the point that cigars are not as fragile. Some cigars I have kept in a small humidor seem the mol more readily than others especially Puros Indios. Several thousand eh? Poor guy! lol

I have two procedures depanding on the storage method. (1) I keep my aging cigars in coolidors. At the beginning of each month, I check the RH, add water if needed and move the boxes around a little. In the middle of the month, I open the coolers and let the smokes breathe for 5 or 10 minutes. (2) I keep my smokables in a wine fridge which varries in RH from 65& on top to 75% on the bottom. I'm in the fridge every day, so I just move the boxes around every once in a while.

I find that this is a lot like the old fairy tale of cigars "marrying" if they are out of the cello in the humi. I agree with Enya in the fact that its more important to inspect them rather than making a deliberate effort to rotate them. But really, cigars are a labor of love, so if that's what you feel is necessary to do, then hey, go for it..there are no cigar rule books :)

-Justin

I believe that rotation is less important when you have an active device as opposed to passive. If a humi seals properly I think it is less critical but I have two that leak worse than old cinderblock home. RH can vary up to 5% from the top to the bottom in these two.

That is pretty much all the reasons I needed to order a 400 ct. piece of jewelry with a Cigar Oasis installed!:7

Well I wouldn't know particularly as I have Yet to have enough Gars to rotate. I guess every time I stick my paws in there they kinda get rotated.
;)

I don't purposely rotate my cigars, but I paw through there enough that they end up getting rotated anyways. I'm not sure if thats good or bad...

Hey you know Martha... She is into everything.

Heck, she probably grows her own tobacco, ages it,
rolls her own to give out to guest at dinner parties.
They just haven't aired this episode yet.:7

She probably distills her own single malt too!

Ditto coolador comments.
Hey Jim, when you coming down to visit? We need someone else to visit 'cause Matt is tiring of mooching off of us! LMAO

Sounds like a GREAT idea! I'll give it some thought and get back to you soon! Maybe a weekend soon! :)

Back