Cigar Smoke Odor Permeates Pizzeria

mosesbotbol

Elder Jungle Leader
To me, this is a welcome complement...

BANGOR, Maine—Customers of Spanky's Pizza say a new and unwelcome odor -- cigar smoke -- is mixing in with the familiar smell of pepperoni, cheese and garlic, and the owner fears it could drive him out of business.

more stories like thisPhilip Nadeau said last month's opening of a smokers' lounge at the Cigar & Smoke Shoppe next door coincided with the arrival of the new scent. A thin wall separates the two businesses, and he thinks the cigar smoke is filtering in through openings in the ceiling and basement, and through outlets.

"The smell is atrocious," Nadeau said. "It's more than atrocious, it's horrible."

Frank Coglitore, the cigar shop owner, has two air purifiers attached to ceiling fans and an exhaust fan that totally circulates the air every two minutes. The exhaust fan, he said, is located at the far side of the building, away from the pizza shop.

Coglitore believes the pizza shop's exhaust fan directly above the oven is causing the problem. The two businessmen say they're working on a solution.

"I'm not trying to point blame, I'm trying to fix the problem," said Nadeau, who has 16 employees at the Main Street store.

Coglitore agrees. "We want nothing but peace and harmony. We're doing everything on my end to pull that all together," he said.

The Cigar & Smoke Shoppe's smoking lounge, where customers can relax and watch TV with a cigar in hand, has been granted one of 14 exceptions to a 2004 state law that prohibits smoking in enclosed areas of public places.

The exceptions require that indoor smoking areas have an exhaust mechanism that directs discharge to the outdoors "in such a manner as not to create objectionable odors or a nuisance on the adjacent premises."

Bangor's code enforcement office has looked into the situation and terms it "a landlord-tenant issue."

"These are two, perhaps, not compatible uses" for the shared building, said Dan Wellington, code enforcement officer. "You can smell it both ways. They're getting the smell of the pizza in the smoke shop."

The city has tried to contact the building landlords, who live in Massachusetts. "At this point, we still haven't figured out what can be done," Wellington said.

Information from: Bangor Daily News, http://www.bangornews.com

At least it seems like they are working together for a solution instead of suing each other... :ss

At least it seems like they are working together for a solution instead of suing each other... :ss
I guess that we can always hope for progress. As a form of disclosure, I was born in Maine and in Maine and most of New England, we try to work out a solution and leave the politicians and the judges out of the mixture. Kind of like southern justice except nobody gets killed. :r:chk

Solution: Make a door. Smokes and a slice is a great way to kill an afternoon. If the pizzeria had a liquor licence... :chk

Cigars and Pizza is a mixture fit for heaven...

Solution: Make a door. Smokes and a slice is a great way to kill an afternoon. If the pizzeria had a liquor licence... :chk

I like cigars AND pizza.
Might have to look up this place.

Man, maybe it's because I'm still in college, but I couldn't agree more. Speaking purely from experience I can say that pizza, cigars, and beer or booze make for an excellent combination! :D Throw in playing around on a guitar or a few rounds of pool or watching some hockey or football... *sigh* I could spend an entire years doing that.

On a more serious note, it is nice to see two business owners actually trying to work something out without going straight to the lawyers or the state rushing in and mandating/fining/whatever. Hats off to those guys. :tu

Back