Cigarfest 2008 An MCS Perspective

Major Captain Silly

Poker for the troops
I'll post photos next. Here's the rundown:

I went with 3 brothers, two of them I work with. We drove through the night, 10 hours from Indiana and got to CigarFest at about an hour before the breakfast at 10:00am. We walked around until the breakfast doors opened and grabbed a seat. Some folks that looked like vendors asked if they could sit with us. It turns out the were with General Cigar and El Credito. They were very nice and impressed that we drove the 10 hours to get there. They were talking amongst themselves and Michael, who was 2 seats away from me said he would save the seat beside me for Ernesto. This turned out to be Ernesto Carrillo from El Credito! Now, I really got into cigars smoking La Gloria Cubana Wavells and El Rico Habano Clubs back in the 90's so I was acting like a kid at Christmas. Ernesto came over and sat down to eat and patiently listened to my acting like a superfan and my story of my my first El Rico Habano. He had to get up to speak but motioned to Michael and pointed at me and my friends. Michael pulled out a travel humidor and handed us all an El Rico Habano Club! He said these were rolled for Ernesto personally.

After the breakfast were were corralled into the room for the main event. Like others have said, we got a ton of great stuff. The people at General cigars gave us some extra cigars and El Credito did the same. I was impressed as a sales guy that Michael remembered our names every time he saw us during the day.

One of my friends brought a bottle of some fine bourbon that I think we pretty much polished off during the day and then we did shots of the various alcohols that were being showcased at the event so, stayed pretty loose all day.

I did the cigar rolling competition sponsored by El Credito and rolled something that looked like a Backwoods smoke.

I was fortunate enought to meet N3uka, Addiction, 7 Smokin'Machinist. N3uka recognized me somehow. This was at the point when I was most schnokered so, I hope I didn't say anything too stupid.

This was a really cool event but If I go again I will fly as we decided to drive the 10 hours back last night and I got to bed at around 6am. I went about 51 hours without sleep and I'm getting a little old for that!

Pics below

MCS

that sounds like really really fun.... thxs for sharing.. :tu excuse me if I miss this above but, how many days was cigar fest.. was there a lot of food... did you see any other big guns... One day hopefully ill make a trip to the fest and the big smoke..

1000519ht1.jpg

Me (looking insane), Addiction, N3uka, & Smokin'Machinist. Note: Addiction is looking for an escape route!

1000524qy6.jpg

Me and Jose'; one of El Credito's master rollers

1000520tw5.jpg

Me and Rocky Patel

1000514dj6.jpg

My friends & I with Ernesto Carrillo

1000512lt4.jpg

Another one with Ernesto

MCS

Couple other points of interest:

1. The most approachable and interesting "big guys" were Ernesto Carrillo, Rocky Patel, and Andy Torono.

2. The Drew Estates guys were pretty pompous. Jonathan Drew wouldn't even look at the people in his booth.

3. The CI people were very nice and really helped everybody in my group have a great time.

MCS

MCS... you make the guys in the pics look like oompa-loompas! Were they all that short, or are you just freakishly tall? :D

Looks like a great time. Fifty-one hours? I can do 36, but 51 would do me in. I'm well beyond being able to do that... especially if I am "staying loose" by knocking back a few throughout the day. You are a Titan, my friend! :ss

MCS, glad you had a fun time and made the drive there and back safe and sound...sounds like it's time for a long, long nap. Thanks for sharing.

Back