Cigarillo reviews

White97Jimmy

Expresso - Frickin' 81
I know a lot of BOTL/SOTL's aren't into the cigarillo sized sticks, but I don't always have time to smoke a full size stick, and don't want to waste $ on smoking 1/3 of a full sized stick, then throwing it out. My solution: I've been experimenting with different cigarillos. I have found these great on the way to and from work, or hanging out with friends who smoke cigarettes.

Here is a review of the recently tried cigarillos:
(I am not posting my opinion about pre-draw or burn draw since they are all pretty much the same draw as a cigarette)

Montecristo cigarillo:
Good toasty flavor. Medium bodied with decent amount of smoke (on a good long draw, it could produce nice heavy smoke). This is about a 15 minute smoke. On a few, I let it sit too long and it went out, otherwise a good steady burn with no problems. Towards the end, it would get a bit spicy. $10/box of 8 (MSRP)

Macanudo Minatures
I didn't really care for the smell of these initially, but I got used to it eventually. Another toasty flavored cigar, with peppery finish. I would compare this closely with the Montecristos, but I like the Montes better. ~15 minute smoke. $5/box of 8 on cBid (I believe MSRP is about $10)

Macoba Classic
I really like the construction of this cigarillo. Every one looks perfectly the same in the box. They are a very sweet smelling pre-light, with lots of hints of chocolate. It produced a very creamy and buttery flavored smoke, with a hint of coffee/chocolate. I found the construction to be better than the Montes and Macanudos. It did burn faster than both, but it may be because I took draws more often because it tasted good. Never peppery, this is a mild smoke. ~10 minutes burn time. $7/box of 100 on cBid (unsure of MSRP). At $0.07 per smoke, this is definitely a good smoke for mild/java lovers.

Meccarillos Filters
This looks very much like a cigarette with a cigar wrapper. It does have a filter on the end (invisible unless you look at the end of it). This was a bland flavor, but may have also been covered up by the Macoba I smoked right before it. Not sure I liked the idea of a filter on the end of it. Towards the end, it started to get a bit more flavorful, but nothing stood out. I am going to smoke the rest of the pack and give another review of this. ~10min smoke. $7/package of 200 (cBid). At 3.5 cents per smoke, this isn't particularly that bad. I've paid dollars for really unflavorful full size sticks, and would rather pay $7 to smoke 200 of these.

I have some more at home to smoke and review will be added soon. Pics to follow also (I'm at work right now).

Reactions: RGD
I have also tried a lot of different ones - never really found one that I liked to much since they normally piss me off trying to cut them. I can also drag out what I have and add to your post.

Ron

thanks for the post jimmy -- i've been thinking about trying some of these, since i just haven't had time to sit for an hour plus recently.

ordered a tin of the R&J's...we shall see.

White97Jimmy said:
I know a lot of BOTL/SOTL's aren't into the cigarillo sized sticks, but I don't always have time to smoke a full size stick, and don't want to waste $ on smoking 1/3 of a full sized stick, then throwing it out. My solution: I've been experimenting with different cigarillos. I have found these great on the way to and from work, or hanging out with friends who smoke cigarettes.

See my review of the LGC Glorias Petite on Club Stogie. Also the Macanudo Maduro's (in the brown, not green, tin) are pretty good. I will also be doing some reviews on other really small sticks in the next few weeks.

RGD said:
I have also tried a lot of different ones - never really found one that I liked to much since they normally piss me off trying to cut them. I can also drag out what I have and add to your post.

Ron

Cut?!? These are cigarillos...no need to cut!

I had what I think was a Montecristo cigarillo a couple evenings ago and was surprised at the amount of flavor in the little guy. That being said, the smoke was hot and the size, for someone who has never smoked cigarettes, was awkward.

I like the Chico/Cigarillo sizes:

CAO Petite Maduro
Domaine AVO Puritos
Leo Jimenez Maduritos
Cuesta Rwy Cameo
Macanudo Ascot Robust

Thanks for the reviews-i, like you, cannot always smoke a full cigar due to time restrictions and have been looking for a good cigarillo. montes are sounding good.

Baric said:
Thanks for the reviews-i, like you, cannot always smoke a full cigar due to time restrictions and have been looking for a good cigarillo. montes are sounding good.

Another great cigarillo is the Davidoff minis. They have a very nice aroma, and are very smooth. I find they go very well with morning coffee.

Montecrito (sorry, I smoked them all before taking pics!)
monte.jpg

Macanudo (smoked all of these too!)
macanudo.jpg

Do you guys store cigarillo's outside of their boxes or with their boxes?

The reason i ask is because I won some CAO L'Anniversary Cameroon Tins and have been wondering whether I can just throw the tins into the humidor (probably a bit open so the humidity can get inside) or should I take them out of the tins?

I should get them next week and will add my thoughts on them here.

Thanks in advance for help with this question.

White97Jimmy said:
CAO Brazilia Cariocas (review in a seperate thread, these are bigger than a cigarillo)

cao1.jpg

These are one of my fav 15-20 minute smokes. Great for a short break at work. They are a 38 rg and tasty!

White97Jimmy said:
Special Made Cigarillos (haven't reviewed yet)
special1.jpg

special2.jpg

special3.jpg

Finally got around to smoking the Special Mades. This one has a very woodsy flavor. It is a bit peppery; full body smokers may be better smoking this one. Not sure if I would buy these again, as I like smoother smokes.

Picked up some RyJ Minis and some Cohiba Club this afternoon. I've not tried the Cohiba yet but the RyJ is a tasty little smoke that you can fit into a spare ten minutes here and there.

Back