Cigars almost exploding!

livwire68

Got Guns???
Until this year I have not really smoked cigars in temps above 100 F. I am running 65% beads and around 73 F. my problem is that when I go out into the heat with a stick fresh from the humi. the minute I put a flame to it the wrapper seems to pop some and start cracking. Then I get to smoking it a little further down and the cracks seem to grow, new ones appear and the problem gets worse. I have not had this problem until I started smoking in the Vegas heat. Should I maybe let my cigars dry some, I believe it maybe from the outside heat and the heat of the cigar burning, making the moisture expand rapidly am I delusional. Tonight I tried something different and pulled the cigar from the humi and cello and let it sit for a couple minutes, aclimating to the room temp. 73 F before taking it out side, no problems but there was also no direct sunlight on the stick. Any help would be of great help.
Thanks
Coy

Been there.

Are they cameroons? Those are notorious for that.

Were they bought recently?

I suspect that they may have RECENTLY dried a little. The "RECENTLY" part is important because they would have dried un-uniformly, so the wrapper is drier than the filler.

SO...
When the cigar is heated, the moist filler expands and the wrapper doesn't (due to it being unflexible from it being drier). Apply flame and accelerate the situation. You have a filler/binder that wants to swell and a wrapper that doesn't want to give.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and outside temperature (the weather) shouldn't matter to a cigar in the short term. I mean what's the difference between 70 & 100 degrees to a cigar that you're about to apply a flame to and will smolder at many hundred degrees?

I believe the same would have happened to those cigars in the winter or spring. When it happened to me it was about 65 degrees outside.

I think your solution is to let them rest in your humidor for a few weeks and allow the humidity in the cigar to homogenize or be careful to not let that wrapper dry out when you carry.

Back