Cigars/cigarettes

kgraybill

ChestBeater
I have been smoking cigarettes for about 30 years. Since I have picked up cigars, I have not been able to put down the cigs. Work is the main hinderance for me. I dont get much time to smoke and usually end up smoking only half of a cigarette and head back to the busy day. The only time I get to enjoy a cigar is during the 45 minute drive home and in the evening. The cigs taste like crap now that I know what real tobacco tastes like and want to give up the cigs.

Anybody have success with this? How did you do it?

Thanks
Ken

The patches won't help 'cause you'll overload on nicotine with cigars and the patch. I just recommend will-power. If you really want to quit, you can choose too. Most people can't quit because they don't want to quit their rituals.

Im in the same boat, but for not as long. Quitting smoking isnt as easy as just saying no. If it was, more people would quit. Im really interested in this thread, i hope people will post up some actually stories, if not some helpful tips. Id love to quit as well. good luck brothaman. Ill try it if you do.

-Josh

Snus. Get some. Many have quit smoking cigarettes using it. The great thing about it is that when you do have time for a cigar, you will be able to enjoy it because your taste buds won't have been ruined by cigarettes.

go to www.snuson.com and register and read and ask questions. There are also some good snus threads here.

Snus. Get some. Many have quit smoking cigarettes using it. The great thing about it is that when you do have time for a cigar, you will be able to enjoy it because your taste buds won't have been ruined by cigarettes.

go to www.snuson.com and register and read and ask questions. There are also some good snus threads here.
Thanks! I will definetly check it out.

I have been smoking cigarettes for about 30 years. Since I have picked up cigars, I have not been able to put down the cigs. Work is the main hinderance for me. I dont get much time to smoke and usually end up smoking only half of a cigarette and head back to the busy day. The only time I get to enjoy a cigar is during the 45 minute drive home and in the evening. The cigs taste like crap now that I know what real tobacco tastes like and want to give up the cigs.

Thanks
Ken

depends... i find myself in the same boat but thanks to sports i've switched to "smokeless" or chew. Since i KNOW what REAL tobacco tastes like i stay away from the straight cuts and stuff and go for the "girly" or wintergreen flavors and such.. the wintergreen gives you a nice tingle :) and depending on your work you could chew at/in work lol. It does have more nicotine in it so if your looking to quit for good... not the way to go it'll only make it worse :r. On the plus side a can of grizzly wintergreen runs about 3.30 here in MI after taxes where a pack of marlboro lights runs anywhere from 4.98 (CVS) to an average of 5.50ish.

when I quit, I just said thats it and stopped.. if you really want to do it then you do it, nothing else will work. Everything that helps people quit is just playing off in there head, you have to want it.. Going to dip isnt the way to go, since its allot more addictive then smoking Cigarettes.. I had to stay away from scotch and beer for a while or I just smoked a cigar outside if we were "grilling" but if inside and no cigar then no drink..

that is what worked for me.. good luck!!

I agree with havana_lover - you have to REALLY want it. If you want it that bad you'll do it. You have to be true to yourself.

Personally I went with a longer term approach. Every 5th cig I was gonna have, I just wouldn't. Anyone can skip ONE cigarette. Keep your mind on it and pretty soon that skipping every 5th is normal. Now ship every 5th again for a couple/few weeks. After a few months I was down to a couple a day and t was easy to stop...addiction-wise. mentally it would have been SO easy to tell myself "a couple per day won't hurt"

This process eased the transition, but the will still had to be there

Best of luck.

Well I hate to say that I was able to stop smoking Cigarettes by just buying more Cigars. The sad thing is I was also in a spot that I wanted to smoke while at work and did not have enough time to smoke a Cigar or a Cigarette so I took up chewing gum. I chew gum like other drink water, all the time. Now I am chewing 2 packs a day and that was about what I was smoking. For the first 2 months or so I would off habit while in the store buy a pack of cigarettes smoke one or 2 and then give them away. I hated the taste. It has been 8 years now and I don't even think about them. That was when I really started to smoke real Cigars. Not just SS or GV or what ever the regular stores would carry. When I go over to my in laws it makes me ill to sit in the house with them smoking cigarettes. My wife don't understand saying I smoke Cigars why does it make me ill? Thinks I am just trying to get out of going over there. Really that is not it. It makes me ill. I will smoke a Cigar if I liked it I'll wait for about 20 minutes and then go back to chewing some cobalt 5 gum. Never know how much I was wasting on Local B&M cigars until I moved 2 years ago and found a TCC that was left behind by the old owner. Never even thought about the Internet or catalog sales.

Well it don't work that way for most and only a few people I know have been able to stop cold. Some do like I did and fall back to a few for a month or 2 Just to make sure you really don't want to anymore I guess. Who knows why. My in-laws have bought the Patch and all the other things to stop. They just don't want to. Why have something your not going to use. They have them all in a closet unopened say they will start next week, then don't now even talk about hypnosis. Good luck and try to buy 30+ dollars a day in Cigars and I am sure you will stop smoking Cigarettes like I did.
Just my :2

James.

I ain't got nothing for you brother, on that a well intentioned wish of good luck, You'll be doing yourself a favor in the long run by dropping the cigs. Of course, then you'll have more $$ for better cigars!

Since I've never tried cigarettes I can't offer any real advice as to how to quit. I do wish you good luck, my mother, who only smokes about three cigarettes a day doesn't have the option to use the patch and is going to have to quit by sheer will power alone.

But she's been smoking since she was 14 years old, I think that aside from the medical addiction to the nicotine it's also the habit of having them on a regualr basis. I agree with the others, you should try to disrupt your routine little by little so that it doesn't mess you up too bad.

~Joaquin

Thanks
Ken

Your description sounded a lot my situation. I wasn't enjoying the taste of the cigs any more and I was tired of coughing up hairballs every morning. So, I decided to try to kick the habit along with some other apes on here.

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107148

My wife suggested that I try Commit lozenges because she used them when she quit. My last cigarette was September 30 but I am still popping these stupid lozenges ... should have been off of them in December-January.

These lozenges are really nothing more than nicotine candy. And, I've found that I use them just like cigarettes ... pop one in a stressful situation ... pop one whenever I get in the car ... pop one after a meal ... etc.

Yeah, everyone says that they are better than destorying my lungs. I no longer cough my fool head off every morning. But, I don't think I've really kicked the habit.

Since you are a smoker anyways, (30 years) you shouldn't have an issue with smoking Cigars, the truth is more time is needed, so I would suggest, mke the time for your self and smoke the cigars, I assume (I never smoked cigeretts are liked the smell) the more Cigars you smoe the less cigs you wil need, So try to make time, like after dinner make a hjabbit of going out for a little walk, or sit on the porch with a comfy chair and news paper and smok a cigar, same thing in the morning stop some where on the way to work, just sit there and smoke a cigar.

just my thoght.

I've been a smoker on and off for 30+ years and I've attempted to quit more times than I can count...tried "cold turkey", the patch, nicorette, etc. They worked for awhile until the craving overcame my will power to stop. Some may tell you that you'll smoke less cigs when you smoke cigars, don't believe it. I found myself lighting up a cigarette right after I smoked one. The nicotine is the chemical addiction whether it's a cigarette or a cigar.

A few months ago, I got scared when I developed a cough that I couldn't shake so my doctor recommended Chantix. 2 pills a day for the last 3 months and I'm down to 1 or two smokes a day. For me it seems to take away the strong cravings... a few drags of the cigarette and I put it out...and it seems to be working. For the most part, I've given up all smoking during this time...cigars and pipes...but that's ok. I'm just aging my tobac. a little longer. :)

You do need the will power to stop cause this is a very tough addiction to break..I wish you success!

Last edited:
Back