Cigars: Collecting and Smoking

OtterAKL4987

Blathering Elite Wannabe
As I get further into this hobby and slide further down the slope, I realized a few things. I, of course, love smoking cigars as it has been said "cigars are for smoking", however, I also have come to enjoy collecting cigars. I get a substantial amount of joy by just opening up the humi and seeing those little beauties stacked up neatly inside. Thoughts?

Same here, in fact, it might be that I enjoy collecting as much as smoking. The older some of my sticks get it seems that I tend to leave them alone. Like baseball cards or something.

This has been spoken about many many times.. but hey its always cool to see what the new people think..

I like smoking more, but gotta have something to choice from..

I enjoy collecting as much as smoking. I don't, and will not, own a stick that will never be smoked. Problem is I buy faster than I smoke :r

I enjoy collecting as much as smoking. I don't, and will not, own a stick that will never be smoked. Problem is I buy faster than I smoke :r

:tpd:

They speak of "the slope" no one ever explains that it is actually the every increasing pile of cigars you "collect" that creates the mountain. :D

I think I would like collecting cigars,but every time I open my humi they look so tastey I just have to smoke em...:ss

I was a big smoker up until the last 3 years. I've gotten more into the collecting side and enjoying tasting cigars as they progress. the art of the vice is great. Everytime I open my humidor (cabinet), it takes me 30 mins to decide. Damn life is great! :ss

Cigars are my hobby...the good cigars are the ones that age, we all know that...so, to get the good ones, I had to build the collection! And I enjoy every second of it...:tu

I enjoy learing, smoking, shopping, sharing, aging...everything about the cigar. I like knowing there's more to learn and there's always something to try or to find or to age. To me, actually smoking them is only one aspect of why I enjoy cigars. It would probably be much cheaper just to smoke...drop in the shop, grab a 5-pack, smoke for a week...but no humidor? no cutters or lighters? What fun would that be?

You said it best, Otter, "I get a substantial amount of joy by just opening up the humi and seeing those little beauties stacked up neatly inside." After those words, I don't know why I keep rambling...:D

jag

I fully embrace the stewardship associated with cigars and find joy in the ritualistic consummation that acknowledges the common union with others who do the same. :ss

—Richard

I buy more then I smoke and I love trying new cigars, also collecting what I know I already like for aging. On average I smoke maybe 2-3 times at most a month, but I love to fill my humi up and let them rest for a long time before I smoke anything. Only problem is my humi is running out of room hah. I can't stand smoking something I just bought, imo cigars are so much better w/ some age.

Last edited:

They speak of "the slope" no one ever explains that it is actually the every increasing pile of cigars you "collect" that creates the mountain. :D

Dave should know, his wall-a-dor is the humidor equivalent to Mt. Everest! :D

This is a beautiful analogy.

I always think of this quote when someone brings up 'collecting' cigars.

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em."
-Ron White

The addiction for me is buying and collecting...I love smoking 'em just as much but I buy them much faster than I smoke 'em :D

As I get further into this hobby and slide further down the slope, I realized a few things. I, of course, love smoking cigars as it has been said "cigars are for smoking", however, I also have come to enjoy collecting cigars. I get a substantial amount of joy by just opening up the humi and seeing those little beauties stacked up neatly inside. Thoughts?

Back