Cigars in or out of plastic when putting in humidor

I assume you mean on your smokes because if you mean on the Humi I would suggest removing it.

As for the cigars I store them as the were bought. If I bought them with no cello thats how they stay same for in or out of the box (box always closed though).

Enjoy and don't sweat the "small" stuff

Sorry guys I mean my smokes. New to this thanks for the patience

I assume you mean on your smokes because if you mean on the Humi I would suggest removing it.

As for the cigars I store them as the were bought. I f I bought them with no cello thats how they stay same for in or out of the box.

I was taking all of mine out for awhile but they can get damaged easier so Im going to keep them wrapped from now on

Keep them how you like them, either way it is up to you.

Unless I am over, then I am going to carefully take the cello off and replace the cello in your humi hoppping you do not notice any cigars are missing until I leave.

:ss

I used to always take them out, IMO they age better without. But if you trade or take cigars on the run, the cello keeps them safer.

Here's is my favorite bit of information that comes to mind whenever this question arises.

Cellophane was invented in 1908 by Jacques E. Brandenberger, a Swiss textiles engineer. It is a thin, transparent sheet made of processed cellulose.

Cellulose is a polysaccharide. It forms the primary structural component of green plants.

Mostly cellulose fibers from wood, cotton or hemp are used for making "cellophane".

However, the use of the word "cellophane" has been genericized, and is often used informally to refer to a wide variety of plastic film products, even though not made of cellulose.

For me it is a very good thing that most of the cigars that I buy are protected by an essentially plant based wrapping as opposed to some polymer or monomer that could potentially be broken down by the oils of the cigar causing some molecular migration of said plastics into my cigars.

I suspect that the use of the word "cellophane" when it comes to cigars is in the strict sense of the word (plant based in origin) and hopefully not being used in the generic vernacular...On it stays, but I do carefully remove it for photos, then carefully place them back on before I bed them down.

—Richard

PS Your referencing the cellophane as "plastic" will tend to through some gorillas off the scent of this very popular subject here in the jungle. :D

For more fun and information use the new search feature called "Tag" search and enter the word cello. :)

Great info thanks for the tip

Here's is my favorite bit of information that comes to mind whenever this question arises.

Cellophane was invented in 1908 by Jacques E. Brandenberger, a Swiss textiles engineer. It is a thin, transparent sheet made of processed cellulose.

Cellulose is a polysaccharide. It forms the primary structural component of green plants.

Mostly cellulose fibers from wood, cotton or hemp are used for making "cellophane".

However, the use of the word "cellophane" has been genericized, and is often used informally to refer to a wide variety of plastic film products, even though not made of cellulose.

For me it is a very good thing that most of the cigars that I buy are protected by an essentially plant based wrapping as opposed to some polymer or monomer that could potentially be broken down by the oils of the cigar causing some molecular migration of said plastics into my cigars.

I suspect that the use of the word "cellophane" when it comes to cigars is in the strict sense of the word (plant based in origin) and hopefully not being used in the generic vernacular...On it stays, but I do carefully remove it for photos, then carefully place them back on before I bed them down.

—Richard

PS Your referencing the cellophane as "plastic" will tend to through some gorillas off the scent of this very popular subject here in the jungle. :D

For more fun and information use the new search feature called "Tag" search and enter the word cello. :)

I used to take all the cellophane off, as well as the cedar that many of my cigars came with(mostly Opus and Anejos). Now I leave everything on, its kind of sad to see all the naked Opus and Anejos and everything in my humidor now.

I have heard it all ways. Some say take it off for long storage some say it doesn't matter.

I leave mine on for a couple of months to make sure no beetles than I take it off. Why? I like nakedness.

I take them out of the tubes for the same reason.

Personal preference.

I used to always take them out, IMO they age better without. But if you trade or take cigars on the run, the cello keeps them safer.
Im with foot, I dont do a lot of trading so I take mine off, IMO they age and taste better as long as you dont mind if they merry with the other smokes there with.

I take them out. I think they look and age better that way. If I take them to a bar, etc. I just put them in my leather case and I have a travel humidor for trips. It's really just a matter of personal preference.

I ususally take the cello off a cigar after i've smoked it about half way down; makes the second half taste a little richer.

Back