Cigars International Red Label

Saw MCS's review, so I grabbed one of these tonite too, had them for a week or so. I love Perdomos, so i've been looking forward to this for quite some time.

Construction and pre-light: Like most Perdomo's, this torpedo was a beaut. Somewhat blotchy, as usual for maduros, but the wrapper was tight and smooth, few unsightly veins. Seemed oddly pressed, not quite round, almost tri-pressed? Weird, but not uncomfortable. You could puncture leather or ream a tire with its needle-point tip. One slip and you'll put your eye out! I clipped it crisply with my SAK, a smaller hole than I usually do for torps, but the draw was perfect anyway. I found the label to be a weird shape, uncomfortably large, and rather garish. Slipped right off though.

Smoke: Lit it up with my free tri-torch, man that thing burns, and got a flawless light. Throughout the whole stick the burn was razor sharp. Mediocre amount of smoke, which is not always a bad thing.

The first third was one of the spiciest sticks i've smoked! Plenty of flavor, my taste buds were poppin! Reminded me of some LFD's, though this was more one-dimensional. It had what I call that 'Perdomo/Nicuraguan flavor' with a bit more spice added. Reminded me a LOT of one of my favorite budget sticks, the Perdomo 'Mistakes' in maduro, but again more spice and more one-dimensional.

Sadly, the first third was the high point for this stick. The second third was a more bland version of the beginning, and the final third was generally tasteless. Great looking cigar and burn though!

Summary: Get the Perdomo 'Mistakes" in maduro instead. They are cheaper, bigger, have more consistent flavor, and have a cooler name (no bands though). I'll admit though that this was my first Red Label, so i'll try the rest later and get back on this.

Don't give up on the Red Label Legend! You may have just gotten a stinker. I love this cigar and while the finish is indeed fairly short...I think most of the ones I've had didn't finish as badly as yours did.

Thanks for the Perdomo "mistake" recommendation. I am going to try to try these.

I always keep both the Perdomo Legends Red Label & Perdomo Mistakes Maduro on hand. Both very good smokes when I'm out with people & want to enjoy a smoke that doesn't require or demand a lot of attention. Just a tasty good time.

Back