Cigars...The perfect gentlemans gift.

stirwood

Slowly Maturing Primate
I do not take lightly my first thread. First I would like to thank everyone on this site for the valuable resources and information they give, I feel it has made me an informed Young gorilla.​
And thanks to the slope I have a nice collection of sticks and I find they do make amazing gifts.
I had central air work done on the house over the summer and I gave the repairman a few nice cigars he was really amazed. Anyone can throw you a twenty, But Quality cigars scream class.
I bought a used car last month and the salesman was a stand up guy. He called me the day I was supposed to pick it up and told me they found a bubble in one of the tires and if I could give him one more day with the car he would throw on 4 new tires. Wow I had already paid for the car this was above the norm. I put together 3 good cigars and a cutter for a gift he was also amazed.
It makes me feel like a true gentleman when I gift cigars and sound knowledgable about them. And after about a year of enjoying cigars I know its not a phase.
I would like to start sharing my joy with other gorillas so as soon as I think up some cool contests I will. Stay tuned
Maybe you guys could post some of your coolest cigar tip stories.

Well done first post, I look forward to reading more.
Welcome!

correction: first ^^^^ thread... Sheesh... some people.....

Last edited:

I bought a used car last month and the salesman was a stand up guy. He called me the day I was supposed to pick it up and told me they found a bubble in one of the tires and if I could give him one more day with the car he would throw on 4 new tires. Wow I had already paid for the car this was above the norm. I put together 3 good cigars and a cutter for a gift he was also amazed.​

Damn good trade from both parties, way to go! :tu​

...It makes me feel like a true gentleman when I gift cigars and sound knowledgable about them. And after about a year of enjoying cigars I know its not a phase.
It speaks volumes on a class act of gifting cigars to someone for a job well done. You are a true gentleman for your acts of kindness for your appreciation of their work. :tu

I agree with your assessment of a cigar as a gift. Liquor/wine is another example. If I buy you a $10 shirt, that isn't perceived as all that great. I buy you a $10 cigar, that's a different story.

I once worked as a fly fishing guide up in Alaska. Great group of people and a weeks worth of fishing would easily cost someone $6k for some of the best fly in fishing ever. Everything was included, but cigars. I had my own and every once in a while, pretty much nightly, I'd be asked for a cigar or many more. I'd always oblige and take the clients over to my pit (that's another story about great storage without a humidor). I'd have 4-5 boxes and hand them out to guys who make my yearly salary in a week and we'd smoke around the fire at night. It was amazing and they were always greatly appreciative. Inevitably, a week or two later, I'd receive 5-8 boxes of cigars from different clients on the mail planes, along with a great tip added inside the boxes. Cigars are, for some, THE ultimate in appreciative gestures. I'd go home at the end of the summer with a few boxes, but I'd sell 3/4 of a box to the other guides to smoke while they were on the river :)

i totally agree. I am a server at a country club and i get some cash tips every once in a while and thats great. but it really makes my day when the guys leave behind their cigars because they do not want them for some reason. I always leave with a smile on my face when i go home with a cigar in my pocket.

It's this attitude that makes up an Ambassador of Cigars. I love talking about cigars to people who don't smoke stogies and people who do smoke stogies. I enjoy my cigars and everyone could and would enjoy a cigar if they chose to try one. I know some people just don't get cigars and that's all right. Each to their own, right. But, there is just something so relaxing at times, and so exciting at other times about cigars. Where could you find a web site about something, where there are so many helpful people. And generous people.
I would always give cigars to anybody who wanted to try one. I give cigars to the local B&M owner so he can try them and see if he wants to ad them to his product line. OK OK I've hijacked this thread and I'm sorry.

Cigars are a perfect gift and 99% of the cigar smokers I have met are gentlemen and the women are ladies. We have a tasting every month and it just a great time to be together with BOTL & SOTL. I enjoy every minute there.
So I encourage everyone to become an Ambassador of Cigars

The good news/bad news is that my UPS guy likes cigars.
That means he's more than happy to deliver my goodies on time & intact, BUT he's come to expect me to open the box up right then & hand a couple over to him.....Well worth it, I say!!:ss

Great idea bru!:tu I gift cigars to friends who are interested in smoking cigars and the like or those who get me some thing or the other never tipped any one with a cigar think I might start soon.

I wholeheartedly agree........There is something totally unique about gifting cigars and for that matter receiving cigars as gifts.

I wish I had clients who were cigar smokers, then I would gift them cigars.

I recently smoked a cigar with the China correspondend of the most important Swiss newspaper. This gentleman is in his 60s and has worked for heads of state as press secretary and so forth. He told me that when he was working for Juan Carlos King of Spain the King would have a livreed driver bring him a box of his personal Cubans as a thank you. Very classy indeed.

I also once heard an anecdote about Juan Carlos taking a first class yet ordinary airline flight. He lit up a cigar and the stewardess had the guts to ask him to put it out. He didn't. I read the same story for Zino Davidoff and actually for Schwarzenegger, too. The Arnie story is funnier though because according to the tale he got up and asked: "Anybody here mind me smoking a cigar?" When no one objected he sat down with a smile and ordered a whisky to go with it.

At least it's good lore.

Till

The Arnie story is funnier though because according to the tale he got up and asked: "Anybody here mind me smoking a cigar?" When no one objected he sat down with a smile and ordered a whisky to go with it.

At least it's good lore.

Till

Thats F-in awesome!!! >>> what would have happened to the poor guy who objected:gn

Yup, awesome story. I don't know if it's true but sometimes a story just needs to be good and not true. Of course, if it's true it is even better.

I am torn on my judgment on the King of Spain and Zino. I mean on one hand you would think the Kinf of Spain would be disciplined enough to respect the rules in a closed environment. On the other hand, who would dare to tell the King of Spain to put out his cigar? Or to tell the Godfather of the Cigar to put it out? By the way, all of these episodes have been reported to me before there even was a smoking ban on airplanes (it came later in Europe than in the USA). Just cigar smoking was banned, not regular smoking. I am really not for any smoking bans but planes and hospitals are about the only place I can agree with them.

Till

Great thread, Stirwood...and you certainly ARE a gentleman!

While not exactly a "tip", my post reflects an example of gratitude. I'm the activity coordinator of our local boy scout troop. It is hard to believe, but it often is difficult to get the dad's to join us on our monthly weekend camping trips. Personnaly, I try to do everything I can with my son to build our relationship, show support and provide a good example to him. These scout trips are terrific opportunities to do just that.

Anyway, I always bring a bunch of Short Stories along with me. Each night, after the scouts are sleeping (or at least in their tents), I hand out the cigars and the dads all sit around the fire and herf. What a great way to relax and end the day...recalling the funny things that happened that day (and on other trips - we like to bust each other's chops, but all in fun). While not really a tip, handing out the cigars is a measure of gratitude to the dads who do give up their weekends to help guide the scouts. And it is always appreciated.

Back