Cigars: Western Meditation?

Scott M

SilverBack
Might be a useless bit of (long winded) rambling, but I've noticed some parrallels between Zen/Buddhist/Hindu meditation and cigar smoking.

I used to be quite heavily into Zen and the martial arts...read a bunch of Suzuki and the like, thought "Kung Fu" was a really cool TV show, tried hypnosis and have formally studied and practiced sport psychology and mental imagery as an aid to athletic performance. The focus on one "point", be it an object, thought, or sensation, to the exclusion of everything else, seems to be a common thread amongst a large number of the stereotypical meditative arts. Another common thread is a ongoing sense of calm and serenity as a by-product of these activities.

I usually smoke in my garage in solitude, as a number of other members here do. My point of focus... whatever cigar I'm smoking at that particular moment. All other outside distractions... work, bills, family issues, things I"ve brought out to read, cease to exist. My focus is a burning stick of leaves... how it burns, what the flavor says, what aroma it creates. Nothing else.

Now this in and of itself may be nothing novel, especially to a novice smoker who's trying to formulate what his likes and dislikes are in a cigar. But I've noticed a distinct change in my demeanor, similar to the benefits touted by practitioners of eastern meditation. These changes have also been noted by my wife. I have historically had periodic bouts of anger management failures. Nothing approaching physical violence or any danger to myself or others. Just occasional episodes. I have a fairly high level of stress at work (in an ER), in addition to the everyday life stressors of money and other commitments.

However, since I've started smoking cigars, (along with all it's rituals), I'm not as tense or anxious, I have not lost my composure or bearing, I am calmer and more at ease, in short, all the benefits mentioned as adjuncts of eastern meditation. This effect has not been the typical short term nicotine buzz, as it occurs on days when I don't smoke, and I have not noticed these effects with cigarettes or chewing tobacco. Nor can these "lesser" items claim groups of individuals praising their characteristics or pleasures.

Rudyard Kipling wrote "There's peace in a Larranaga, there's calm in a Henry Clay". Other notables have expressed simialr feelings. I cannot think of any activities within our (western) culture whose musings and aspects are more akin to meditation than the ritual of cigar smoking. Thus endeth the philosphical ponderings on my newest mistress for the day.

Your thoughts?

Scott"grasshopper"M

ABSITIVELY POSILUTELY

I always find cigar smoking not just enjoyable but a spiritual experience as well.

I also find that serious herfing enhances that experience much more.

I've said this before, strange as it sounds, but at times when I've smoked (usually in solitude) I could almost feel the emotion in the hands and the thoughts in the mind of the torcedor who rolled them. Sometimes the exerience of a stick is simply amazing.

A great thing about the cigar experience is that is is a little bit different each time. I love that feeling that comes when I've just got it lit properly, taken a big puff, sat back on my couch, and exhale...... :D It really puts you into a kind of zone where the rest of the world recedes.

I think so. After all the ritual and ceremony there comes a point where my ears open up and I start listening to the little sounds around either my back yard or my front deck. Then I start noticing the birds and clouds and colors etc....

A very enjoyable hobby we have that kind of combines the zen of a Japanese Tea Ceremony and the comraderie of drinking in a bar with the passion of collecting baseball cards...

Amen brother! That's one of the main reasons why I smoke. It lets me "get away" from everything and all, it makes me concentrate in nothing but the cigar, the way the smoke dances in the air, and the flavor in my mouth. My cigar time is my "recharging" time.
Now if we could only have the Florida herf in the keys...

I dont disagree with that. Furthermore, I think that cigars are great for helping a conversation. They put peope at ease and really allow them to think. Good post.

Great Post!!. That is exactly one of the differences between cigars and Cigarrettes. You dont see any cigarrette smoker enjoying their cigarrette or identifying its characteristics, instead they complain of having to smoke em and are always nervous to get one. But in cigar smoking we really appreciate the tobacco and by focusin in it we can forget other things even if its for a while but it really helps to deal with the real everyday life. As Scott said it is not the nicotine buzz the one that relax you, but the whole ritual itself.

WillyGT said:
Great Post!!. That is exactly one of the differences between cigars and Cigarrettes. You dont see any cigarrette smoker enjoying their cigarrette or identifying its characteristics, instead they complain of having to smoke em and are always nervous to get one. But in cigar smoking we really appreciate the tobacco and by focusin in it we can forget other things even if its for a while but it really helps to deal with the real everyday life. As Scott said it is not the nicotine buzz the one that relax you, but the whole ritual itself.
So true Carlos, so true.

Great post. Cigar smoking along with enjoying a fine beverage (be it liquor, beer, wine, coffee, etc.) really unwinds me and reduces my stress level. Cigars are a lot cheaper than a shrink!

-Matt-

I would have to agree i know it helps calm me down and takes the stress out me after exams(had my first one the day after a really hard one and gone was the stress. I would defintaly say that they are western meditation. Allow me to think about things.

That is an interesting post Scott. I am a newbie (first post) but I have to repy to your post. I smoked cigarettes for quite a few years (quit like 6 years ago though, one of the best things I ever did). Smoking cigarettes is stressful. You have to (and I mean HAVE TO) go out and suck one of those stupid little things down like every hour or two. Doing so generally strains interwork relations and when you get to, you suck that thing down as fast and hard as you can. If anything, when you get back to work you have had your fix but feel worse because you had to go get it like it was illegal. And lets all face it, those things do NOT taste good.

During that time I had the opportunity to smoke a few cigars. Never really got into it though. But about a month ago I was outside my school and someone was smoking a cigar. I thought that it smelled awfully good so I went to my local tobacconist for a couple of sticks. I asked the fellow who owned the shop for a couple of suggestions and he gave me a AF Brevas Royal and a Padron Fumas (note that he was introducing me to the hobbie without taking me for all I had). I smoked those and have been smoking a stick a day since.

I take my dog on a walk and smoke a cigar. It takes about an hour and a half. Without it, law school would literally be killing my brain. I have tried a bunch of cigars in the low range (as you may have caught I am a student). I have settled on the Padron Fumas and the Flor de Olivias as every day smokes. On the weekend I go down to the shop and ask the people hanging out for suggestions (for a nicer smoke) and invariably leave with a wonderful selection for the evening's constitutional.

My final points are that my wife actually encourages me in my hobbie because I am infinately more enjoyable (I actually feel like I treat other humans mith more respect and dignity than before) when I have had a nice walk with a cigar to think the day over. My other point is that Cigars on 6th (and Washington) in Denver is a great store. They have great prices and it is a nice little very non-pretentious shop. Check them out if you live in or are ever in Denver.

To conclude, cigars truely are a lost meditative art of the west. Thank you Scott for you obviously educated and well writen observations.

highcountry said:
That is an interesting post Scott. I am a newbie (first post) but I have to repy to your post. I smoked cigarettes for quite a few years (quit like 6 years ago though, one of the best things I ever did). Smoking cigarettes is stressful. You have to (and I mean HAVE TO) go out and suck one of those stupid little things down like every hour or two. Doing so generally strains interwork relations and when you get to, you suck that thing down as fast and hard as you can. If anything, when you get back to work you have had your fix but feel worse because you had to go get it like it was illegal. And lets all face it, those things do NOT taste good.

During that time I had the opportunity to smoke a few cigars. Never really got into it though. But about a month ago I was outside my school and someone was smoking a cigar. I thought that it smelled awfully good so I went to my local tobacconist for a couple of sticks. I asked the fellow who owned the shop for a couple of suggestions and he gave me a AF Brevas Royal and a Padron Fumas (note that he was introducing me to the hobbie without taking me for all I had). I smoked those and have been smoking a stick a day since.

I take my dog on a walk and smoke a cigar. It takes about an hour and a half. Without it, law school would literally be killing my brain. I have tried a bunch of cigars in the low range (as you may have caught I am a student). I have settled on the Padron Fumas and the Flor de Olivias as every day smokes. On the weekend I go down to the shop and ask the people hanging out for suggestions (for a nicer smoke) and invariably leave with a wonderful selection for the evening's constitutional.

My final points are that my wife actually encourages me in my hobbie because I am infinately more enjoyable (I actually feel like I treat other humans mith more respect and dignity than before) when I have had a nice walk with a cigar to think the day over. My other point is that Cigars on 6th (and Washington) in Denver is a great store. They have great prices and it is a nice little very non-pretentious shop. Check them out if you live in or are ever in Denver.

To conclude, cigars truely are a lost meditative art of the west. Thank you Scott for you obviously educated and well writen observations.

Welcome to the Club awesome first post. I smoked a cigar today and afterwards the music in my dorm was so loud it was knocking things down of my shelves. but i didnt get as upset as i ussually do. just kind of took it and turned up my TV louder. I defintatly think that cigars help me get throuh this. just figured id add to my last post

There are various types of meditation - prayer is probably the best known, but there is also TM (Transcendental Meditation), mindfulness meditation, and from the Eastern tradition, Zen meditation, Buddhist meditation, and Taoist meditation.

All these practices have one thing in common - they all focus on quietening the busy mind. The intention is not to remove stimulation but rather to direct your concentration to one healing element - one sound, one word, one image, or one's breath. When the mind is "filled" with the feeling of calm and peace, it cannot take off on its own and worry, stress out, or get depressed.

The rituals of cigar smoking go hand and hand with the meditative process. From the patiently picking the right smokes for the occasion. The steady hand that so precisely snips the head of the cigar. The patients of toasting the foot to get the even burn. The first puff to start the aroma filling the air. The concentration of taste buds, picking out the subtle nuances. To the finish on the pallet of the mouth.

The hobby of cigar smoking is another form of meditation. Like Siddha Yoga and Shikan Taza cigar smoking has a form. A precise yet chaotic set of forms. Differing from one smoker to the next, but there is a form. Through this ritual, albeit daily weekly or whenever, a relaxing calm pours from within revealing the inner soul. It is through this practice one is able to reflect on the difficulties of the day and overcome them in strides

So I would have to agree with you. There is a connection with the meditation of the western or eastern and cigar smoking. It is a calming ritual that has a positive affect on ones mood and demeanor. It is a relaxing practice that I do in solitude like many others but is just as relaxing in groups. The direction of the total focus on a single object, timing ones breath in a particular time frame, and the aroma filling the nose all contribute to the meditative attributes of cigar smoking.

Scott M said:
MM2(SW)S said it so much better than I could. Thanks!

Welcome aboard, highcountry!

S.

Thanks, I didn't think I said anything better I was just posting my thoughts on this. But thanks for the compliment.

oh by the way welcome to the Jungle highcountry.

No, you said it pretty good. But I know you have a lot of time to think about such things, now that the Steelers are out of the running :c :D

galaga said:
No, you said it pretty good. But I know you have a lot of time to think about such things, now that the Steelers are out of the running :c :D
Just when I was felling better about them, you bring that up :c Now i have to go get something good to smoke and drown my tears in a bottle os Jim or maybe Jack :D

Interesting thread. I hadn't really thought about it, but it makes sense. I dabble in meditation myself, and I agree completely with MM2's comments. My basic experience is that anything done completely, with your whole being, leads to a focusing and stillness of the mind. As a result, all things and all senses take on a more vivid, yet far less intrusive, character. The ritual of cigar smoking lends itself completely to this, and is definitely a meditative experience for me in this regard.

There is one area, though, where I think it falls somewhat short as a practice, and this is in the area of attachment. Most meditation practices involve initial focus on something that is not prone to attachment - such as the breath. It is very difficult to have a strong desire for the breath to 'be' any certain way, and this in itself aids in the quieting of the mind. Cigars, however, are very much about the pleasing, startling, and relevatory nature of the flavor, smell, touch, and even sight of a great cigar. Because of this, I find myself prone to focus on certain aspects of what I am smoking rather than a calm, abiding, unspecific focus on everything, which for me is the deepest form of meditation.

Just my situated opinion

Back