Coffee Grounds

Evolving Lead Gorilla
Cohiba Extra Viejo 645
6 x 46
Grand Corona
Wrapper:Ecuador
Filler: D.R., Nic.
Binder: USA/Conn.

Every now and then I get the itch to buy some real name brand stuff. Cohiba Extra Viejo 645 is that .
Cohiba Dom. people either love them or hate them. This retails for about $8.50.
The construction on the cigar is dam near perfect. The burn was nice and even. The ash stay very compact for 1/3 of the cigar.
Draw was tight but not piss ya off tight.
The flavor: I would consider the st regnth to be medium. The taste was kinda one dimensional which is not a bad thing. In this case it is for me.
The first half of this cigar was flat. There was no real depth to it. Kinda a light coffee flavor that was real dry like red wine.
Not a lot to the first 1/2 but the 2nd halfthe flavor really started to kick. All of sudden you have a nice robust coffee ground flavor with some nice undertones of dark wood. It still had the dry taste that left my taste buds watering.
I enjoyed the 2nd half of the smoke.

Overall I would give this cigar a 7.5 out of 10. Name recognition is selling this cigar not taste.
I would not buy a box of these yet I would not turn you down if you offered one to me.

Thanks for the review. It's been @ least 3 years since I've had a NC Cohiba(a reddot is all I remember) and I do remember that I didn't like it for the 10bucks or whatever I payed.

I love *Complex* sticks but.....

Complexity is overrated in allot of ways, I kinda get tired of...*it tasted wondrefull but it wasn't complex*, the same way you always here Cubanish this and Cubanesque that flavor*. My grandfather was a brilliant man and never smoked anything but Habanos and he couldn't tell ya the first thing about complexity but iff it wasn't tasty, strong and consistent then he wasn't buying it.

If a cigar has a wonderfull taste with consistency and construction for a fair price then that's awesome. One thing I've noticed about none cuban brands like Montecristo and Cohiba is they often have spectacular and consistent construction.

As for *name recognition*...of course the Habano name is seling the Cohibas but I actually prefer more NC Punch offerings then Punch Cuba so who knows. No cigar name is more Hyped and known then Cohiba.

I'm gonna have to try one sometime.

Thanks for the review. It's been @ least 3 years since I've had a NC Cohiba(a reddot is all I remember) and I do remember that I didn't like it for the 10bucks or whatever I payed.

I love *Complex* sticks but.....

Complexity is overrated in allot of ways, I kinda get tired of...*it tasted wondrefull but it wasn't complex*, the same way you always here Cubanish this and Cubanesque that flavor*. My grandfather was a brilliant man and never smoked anything but Habanos and he couldn't tell ya the first thing about complexity but iff it wasn't tasty, strong and consistent then he wasn't buying it.

If a cigar has a wonderfull taste with consistency and construction for a fair price then that's awesome. One thing I've noticed about none cuban brands like Montecristo and Cohiba is they often have spectacular and consistent construction.

As for *name recognition*...of course the Habano name is seling the Cohibas but I actually prefer more NC Punch offerings then Punch Cuba so who knows. No cigar name is more Hyped and known then Cohiba.

I'm gonna have to try one sometime.

A lot of botls bash the Cohiba NC line up and down. I don't think its that bad.
I do think they are overpriced but right now there are alot of really good cigars out there for $5 a stick.
I would agree with you about the construction. All of the Cohiba NC have dam near perfect construction.

Back