confiscatory bastages

replicant_argent

2X Secret Probation.Bitch
Ok, went to a good brick and mortar today, and thought

Damn, if I didn't feel good about supporting my B&Ms, I would never buy retail in this state again!!!

Minnesota and their "tax/fee" BS. Grr.
I think I could have outfitted my kid for SS much better just buying online, but felt compelled to give a pound of flesh occasionally to treat the people fighting the good fight.

I know what you mean, ra.

In every other piece of commerce, I do business almost exclusively with stores within a mile of where I live. But when it comes to cigars, I just can't. I can justify paying a bit more to support the commuinity, but when that "bit" gets to 2-3 times the price, I can't hack it.

I buy singles at my B&M when I get by there, but no more I'm afraid.

It's nice living 15 miles from "Tax Free" Delaware, stogies are usually around the same price as online

I only have one B&M within 20 minutes of my house, so it's usually the one I hit unfortunately. They are more expensive and less friendly than the ones farther away, but it's a convenience thing for me. NC has a 3% wholesale price tax on cigars, so it is a lot lower than most states from what I have read. I guess I should feel lucky for that, but I just wish there was more B&M's close by. There's one an hour away that is much nicer and cheaper, so I may start taking a road trip for smokes from now on.

I only have one B&M within 20 minutes of my house, so it's usually the one I hit unfortunately. They are more expensive and less friendly than the ones farther away, but it's a convenience thing for me. NC has a 3% wholesale price tax on cigars, so it is a lot lower than most states from what I have read. I guess I should feel lucky for that, but I just wish there was more B&M's close by. There's one an hour away that is much nicer and cheaper, so I may start taking a road trip for smokes from now on.

I think it it 70% here, feel free to commiserate.

I hear what your saying, but can't bring myself to pay the price.

I buy boxes, a box of Ashtoin VSG Illusion is $200.00 online. Here in Cali4nia, they're $18-$20 a stick. As much as I'd like to, I can't afford to support the LB&M.

The bill's being pushed to ban online tobacoo sales have me thinking about buying as many boxes of the cigars I like as I can find.

Dmntd

The taxes some states have to pay are NUTS! Luckily, Oklahoma hasn't been hit that hard yet...I can only imagine the hurt I would be in if I still lived in Cali!

Its just as bad, if not worse here in Canada. Our taxes here are making impossible for me to buy locally. Its actually cheaper for me to drive 2 hours south to NY state to pick up cigars, than to drive 5 mins to my local B&M.

Damn, if I didn't feel good about supporting my B&Ms, I would never buy retail in this state again!!!

I think I could have outfitted my kid for SS much better just buying online, but felt compelled to give a pound of flesh occasionally to treat the people fighting the good fight.

Well just come on down here to Dixie! We'll work with you on getting rid of that funny accent of yours... you'll fit in just fine after about 15 or 20 years! :r

Bobby

I paid $5 for an RP 92 vintage at the B&M about 10 min away from here in Lake Worth, Texas. NOW, in Baton Rouge, La...I paid about $12 for that same stick. Insane Taxes indeed!

I only have one B&M within 20 minutes of my house, so it's usually the one I hit unfortunately.

Count yourself lucky. Closest to me is 25 miles, next closest 120 miles. At least our taxes aren't utterly insanse, just annoying.

Thats a health impact fee,,no tax there...Thanks alot Tim Pawlenty..I would imagine that the impact fee has a lot to do with the surplus we now have..

Jerry in Minnesota.

Here in Massachusetts, I have a B&M about 10 minutes from me. His prices are reasonable for out of state delivery. Ignoring the fact that in store prices are higher than his internet prices, the taxes in this state jump the prices higher than I like. There is a 30% tobacco tax and then a 5% sales on top of that. I am lucky, I know Chris and his brother Charlie quite well and if I bring in his internet price on what I want, he will honor that price as the basis upon which to start adding taxes. Even with this courtesy, sucks when a $28 bundle of Flor de Oliva cost me almost $40 if I catch him in the store and $50 if one of his people who do not get involved in the internet side are the only one there. I basically just use him for singles or for an emergency when even over night will not do the trick such as when one of my regular internet vendors screws up. I could drive up to Salem, NH and go to Two Guys but if their in store prices are any reflection of their internet prices, I am out $ for gas and then get screwed on the cigar prices. Just my :2 . Paul

Taxes, tell me about `em. I still support my B&M though. It is tough but I choose to do so. Without my local shop; I would not of been introduced to some of my favorite cigars otherwise. Plus the pleasure of talking with the owners, employees, & patrons is worth the extra cost.

So when I see those $25+ Opus X & ESGs; I just have to take it with a grain of salt. In the end, going to your B&M (when possible and in the budget), is the right thing.

Doctor, I agree with you and do give my B&M some support, but I am retired now and cannot afford to give him all of my business when I am paying over a 40% premium to do so when some of the other on line prices beat him before taxes. It is not that I choose not to support him, I choose not to support the usury that my state inflicts upon cigar consumers. If you think these taxes are bad, cigarrette taxes are worse. Paul

Back