Converting a cabinet to a humidor

DUCK

QUACK~QUACK!
I bought my husband (KASR) a pretty big cabinet and we are planning on lining the inside with cedar. Well the dopes at Lowe's tried to sell us aromatic cedar and that didn't work out so good so we went to a specialty place that had the actual spanish ceday but now this is sap leaking from it. did I get the wrong one for him? is there anywhere online where I can buy the good stuff (affordable though, I'm not made of money) and is there a good process for lining the interior of the cabinet we got? QUACK!

Also, aaron said that we could possibly remove the inside back piece of veneer (sp?) and replace it with spanish cedar lumber so we didn't have to line that part which happens to be the largest section. would that be a way to go?

I don't know the answer to your question, but let me the first to say...You're an awesome wife! :tu

are you serious i already answered this. oh you don't trust me now...i see how it is. i will bring some wood working mags over they have ads in the back. or try this place.

clicky

It's not so much that you want to line the the whole thing with cedar, as make sure you have a good deal. You will also want to make sure the wood in the cabinet is not suspetible to warping. What kind of a cabinet? can you post pictures?

Some of the commerical ones only have spanish cedar trays. They are the cheapies of couse. Sorry I cant help the sap problem.

are you serious i already answered this. oh you don't trust me now...i see how it is. i will bring some wood working mags over they have ads in the back. or try this place.

clicky

Yea, yea, yea...so she wanted to get a second opinion I guess! LOL! Gary says he can mill the lumber spanish cedar. He's coming over tomorrow, we should make a game plan tomorrow! I'll have pics of it soon. Should be a fun project!

Yea, yea, yea...so she wanted to get a second opinion I guess! LOL! Gary says he can mill the lumber spanish cedar. He's coming over tomorrow, we should make a game plan tomorrow! I'll have pics of it soon. Should be a fun project!

WOOO WOOOOO!~

That's a steal on the 8x4's. Aaron if Gary can mill it this is the best route.

Woodcraft has the 8x4 for $18-20 ... bastages! Gonna see what Gary thinks on whether he can mill it...if he can, I think I know what we're doing with the back board. :D

Woodcraft has the 8x4 for $18-20 ... bastages! Gonna see what Gary thinks on whether he can mill it...if he can, I think I know what we're doing with the back board. :D

i dealt with woodcraft also. they milled the wood for free for me. the guy was really awesome. i hooked him up with a few smokes afterwards. the guys at my local shop are awesome, especially john.

BTW, if you get sap then the wood hasn't fully dried out yet. lay them out in the sun for a few days and make sure they don't get wet and the problem should solve itself.

OK, I finally got a picture of the cabinet with my wife's crappy camera....she has my camera at her work. Here's the cabinet that she found for me at a garage sale for a bargain:

cabinet.jpg

The way I figure, is that I'll use the top glass area for the cigars (three rows at least) the drawer for my pipe and pipe tobacco, and the lower area for boooze. :D

Just to maybe clear up some confusion. 4/4 and 8/4 is quarters of an inch. 4/4 =1" thick rough cut and 8/4= 2" thick rough cut. And their prices are per board-ft. 1 bd-ft = 144 cubic inches such as 6" wide by 24" long by 1" thick :)

Heres a list of sources of Spanish Cedar I put together a while ago.
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=58860

You could also look at a Spanish Cedar plywood to span the large open area you are talking about. Might be the most economical way and use actual Spanish Cedar to line the sides and construct the shelves.

Glad you two are able to enjoy the project togeter!

Mark

You've gotten a lot of good advice here.

The only thing that I will add is to place a vapor barrior between the CS lining and the original wood. Believe me, it makes a heck of a difference!

And the plastic lining costs pennies.

The only thing that I will add is to place a vapor barrior between the CS lining and the original wood. Believe me, it makes a heck of a difference!

so true, it will help so much to hold the humidity and also to keep the cabinet itself from saturating from moisture.

That was supposed to be SC for Spanish Cedar. Not CS. Sorry for the senior moment. :hn

Back