Converting a closet?

DonJefe

Missing the Shack
My wife has given her approval to converting our coat closet into a humi! I have everything down except the door. Any ideas?

oh my god. your one lucky man. what do you have in mind for humidification? im assuming you have to seal the whole thing.

Could you have your wife talk to my mine. I have been trying to talk here into this for a long while. As for the door I wish I could help but I dont know enough about this yet. However I am sure Mo will be along sometime soon with some helpful advice. Goodluck and I want some pics posted of the project. :D

Foam weatherstripping might work, but it would probably take a beating. Off the top of my head, you could:

Use solid tubular weatherstripping. It would hold up better and provide a better seal than foam.

Use wedge shaped trim that the door will close tight on.

Use regular trim that the door will close against. Wont be a perfect seal, but it may do the trick.

Lock yourself in, caulk the door shut, and enjoy life.

How drastic do you wanna get.... :r If you really want a good seal you could always install an exterior door casing with threashold...? I would think the hardest thing to get sealed would be the bottom, everywhere else you could use either the foam weatherstripping like AAlmeter stated but sealing the bottom you would need a threashold seal wouldn't you?

I wouldn't use that aromatic red cedar door, if I were you! Your cigars will taste like a cedar tree......the wrong kind....but you already knew that, didn't you? :D (Big difference between common red cedar and Spanish cedar.) Mahogany would probably be okay, though.

To solve your problem:
All you have to do is get the rubber "sweep" that goes on the bottom of an exterior door. These usuall have 3 or 4 rubbers "fins" that seal on top of the threshold. All you'll need to do is glue it or nail it/staple it to the bottom of the door. They come in several heights, to account for doors that do not have an adjustable threshold. I'd get the tallest size, and see how it covers the space below the door.

If it isn't producing a good enough seal, then just glue/nail a strip of wood across the bottom of the door to make the gap from the bottom of the door to the floor smaller, which will allow the door "sweep" to seal nicely.

The sweeps are available at most any Home Depot or Lowes. They're pretty cheap, only a few dollars, and can be cut easily to the proper length. Since they are rubber, and designed for an exterior door, it should last a long, long time.
I would also go ahead and get some thin foam adhesive-backed weather stripping as well to take care of any leaks along the door "stop". Apply it all the way around the door where it meets the wood to produce a good seal, like an exterior door is done. This is probably going to be way cheaper and easier than installing an entire exterior door jamb.

Here's two that I found at Lowe's when I did a quick search:
(They will seal a gap up to 3/4" and are adjustable)

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=pro...categoryId=WEATHERSTRIPPING.CATEGORY&pad=true

Hope this helps....

You can always get a few sheets of spanish cedar veneer and line the inside of the door, as well, no? I've also seen 1/4 inch pieces that they sell by the sq. foot for little money.

Sounds like the kind of D.I.Y. project I'd actually LIKE to do, as opposed to the usual "paint the bathroom" tasks I'm relegated :(

Uniputt said:
I wouldn't use that aromatic red cedar door, if I were you! Your cigars will taste like a cedar tree......the wrong kind....but you already knew that, didn't you? :D (Big difference between common red cedar and Spanish cedar.) Mahogany would probably be okay, though.

To solve your problem:
All you have to do is get the rubber "sweep" that goes on the bottom of an exterior door. These usuall have 3 or 4 rubbers "fins" that seal on top of the threshold. All you'll need to do is glue it or nail it/staple it to the bottom of the door. They come in several heights, to account for doors that do not have an adjustable threshold. I'd get the tallest size, and see how it covers the space below the door.

If it isn't producing a good enough seal, then just glue/nail a strip of wood across the bottom of the door to make the gap from the bottom of the door to the floor smaller, which will allow the door "sweep" to seal nicely.

The sweeps are available at most any Home Depot or Lowes. They're pretty cheap, only a few dollars, and can be cut easily to the proper length. Since they are rubber, and designed for an exterior door, it should last a long, long time.
I would also go ahead and get some thin foam adhesive-backed weather stripping as well to take care of any leaks along the door "stop". Apply it all the way around the door where it meets the wood to produce a good seal, like an exterior door is done. This is probably going to be way cheaper and easier than installing an entire exterior door jamb.

Here's two that I found at Lowe's when I did a quick search:
(They will seal a gap up to 3/4" and are adjustable)

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=pro...categoryId=WEATHERSTRIPPING.CATEGORY&pad=true

Hope this helps....
Uniputt's got it down.
Now, if you want to get fancy, you can either line the inside of the closet with sheets of Spanish Cedar or start acquiring cigar boxes made of cedar and use them to store the cigars in.
You'll also need a decent, small room, adjustable, humidifier. There are many good ones available on the market.
Have fun, and don't forget to put up a picture. :D

horrorview said:
You can always get a few sheets of spanish cedar veneer and line the inside of the door, as well, no? I've also seen 1/4 inch pieces that they sell by the sq. foot for little money.

Sounds like the kind of D.I.Y. project I'd actually LIKE to do, as opposed to the usual "paint the bathroom" tasks I'm relegated :(

Believe me, this project won't get off the ground until I have finished the remodel of my kitchen!!

DonJefe said:
Believe me, this project won't get off the ground until I have finished the remodel of my kitchen!!

Well, I hate to say it, my good man,.......but........

"Yo, dude....you gots yo' priorities all screwed up......that's whack!!!" :D

lol... i'm having my basement finished, and there's a nook (about 3' wide, and about 2' deep, and as tall as a basement ceiling can be) that's underneath our main floors fireplace. my wife said to me last week, "why don't you see if he'll build you a humidor?" :confused:

nah, then i'd have to fill that phuquer up, then i'd have to get a 2nd mortgage, etc, etc... :hn

Matt7-7-0001.jpg

I think that if this is going to be the size of the door to your humi....

You're going to need a stronger lock than that. Maybe a couple of :SM :SM

Back