Cooler shopping

MikeyC

SilverBack
OK. So my humi is over capacity at this point. I think I need a cooler-dor because I'm definitely not spending the money on a larger humi (just bought the one I have).

My question then is . . . is one cooler better than another for making a cooler-dor? Obviously, the bigger the better but I have a couple of coolers already that I could use. So, I'm wondering if there is any feature that makes one cooler better for making a cooler-dor than another. Do I want one with a rubber gasket? Do I need one with a latch to hold the lid on tight? Will any cooler work fine?

What do you guys think?

As long as the coolers seal, and are free of funky odors, any should work. I use the Igloo MaxCold (150 qt at Target online) because of the size, the heavy insulation and the recessed lid (nice when too full).

I went crazy looking for a cooler with slots in the side. My plan was to turn it over, put shelfs in the slots and have it open like a fridge (like St. Lou Stu's).

I found one with slots (finally) but it is not as big as want. I am just using it until I find the one I want and then it will become a beer cooler.

But really as Moglman, as long as it seals and isn't gross you are good to go.

Sam's Club has the slotted 150qt

avoid the split lid models as that could affect the airtightness

have fun shopping and filling it up

I have noticed before some people saying they were looking specifically for a cooler with slots. What are the slots for?

MaxCold and Rubbermaid both have slots, at least the 150s. Not sure about the coleman but I'd think so. I don't personally use them, tho.

I would guess the slots are so you can add shelves, but I don't own a coolador yet either! My problem is finding an Oust fan, or something similar.

Straight interior sides are most convenient for stacking multiple boxes. Get the biggest you can find (walmart,costco,bj's), otherwise your garage will be filled with coolers you outgrew.
Don't forget the beads, they are ideal in coolers because of the non-absorptive plastic walls.

Sam's Club has the slotted 150qt

avoid the split lid models as that could affect the airtightness

have fun shopping and filling it up

Mike, I have this one from Sam's Club 150qt. for about $65. While it has slots I don't use em, just put my boxes, beads, fans, and hygros in. I now have 2 empty 48 qt Coolers after consolidating. This is a very good cooler. Her's a pic from when it was empty....It's full now but I don't want to threadjack.....:D:ss

100_0002.jpg

That was pretty much the exact one I was looking for. Not a Sam's club member though and I didn't see it Walmart. I'm hoping as we get closer to the summer I will see more in stock around.

Follow up question - if you get a slotted cooler do you guys use Spanish Cedar to make the shelves? If yes, where do you get the Spanish Cedar? Is this something I should be able to find at Home Depot?

Just in case you're planning on keeping it a bit more "reasonable" for your first coolerdor... I found one I think is perfect for a medium sized coolerdor.

Coleman 50 qt widebody. Main reason I think it is swell is that it holds 2 of the cedar trays (available at cheaphumidors) side-by-side.

These are old pics (and my tastes have changed... not so many Gurkha 5 packs from cbid!), but they give you an idea.

Coolerdor1.jpg

Coolerdor2.jpg

I would guess the slots are so you can add shelves, but I don't own a coolador yet either! My problem is finding an Oust fan, or something similar.

Blues Tiger

Check Home Depot for the Oust Fans, they are on clearance but mine still had some left.

Back