Coolerdor Humidification

jdsmoke

Young Chimp
Well I’m taking the plunge and making my first coolerdor.
2 quick questions:
active vs. passive humidification. I currently have a humidor with passive and it’s never done me wrong. The main purpose is for box storage. I would this that the active would be the way to go. Just wanted to hear other opinions

Second, how much cedar do you think one needs? I looked at ScottM pictures in Coolerdor 101 and it does not seem like enough we you compare it to a humidor that has it throughout.

Lastly,
Any good suggestions for boxes of cigars that are under $100. Once it's made I have to start filling it. :)

I would use Climax beads for that size humi.

As for Cedar if you are storing boxes you don't really need to add any sedar. Because the boxes should provide all of the cedar that you need.

Climmax beads. Only way to go.

Not only are they less expensive than refill cartridges alone of active devices, they also do a better job protecting your cigars. Active humidification cannot lower RH. Coolers seal better than Humis so over humidifcation can be a problem. Most active devices do a good job sealing off their reservoirs so that evaporation does not occur, however come July and the outside RH is 85% they can't do anything to assist in lowering it.

If you have a big freestanding piece of furniture or have say.... converted a closet, over humidification will not be a concern. I wouldn't think about active personally until the humidor was end table size or larger though.

Like KGuy said the cigar boxes are cedar and do a great job. Fill as much of the volume of your cooler as you can, even if they are empty. These will further assist in regulating humidity level.

As to a box under $100. Personally I am too into diversity I guess. I could not stand having just one box. If it were me (on the cheap) I would get a box each of La FLor Del Caney, Lusitania Maduro, (size of your choice on both)and a box of Sancho Panza Double Maduro Quixote. You would be at $100 + shipping for 65 good cigars.

To do it fancier consider 10 count boxes of Cusano C10 and Cuesta-Rey Centro Fino Sungrowns. Here you would get 20 cigars that retail in the $6+ range for around $100.

Finally, single box route, Consider a box of CAO Brazilia Gol, or a Box of Carlos Torano Signature Perfectos. Uncle Mikey has the Toranos on sale for $80 this week.

A little over $100 ($114) the Chateau Fuente Cuban Belicoso Sungrown are amazing cigars for the price. As much as I love Fuente cigars you can rarely say they smoke like a costlier cigar. In the case of the Cuban Belis I think the construction, presentation, and taste are like a much costlier stick.

-Matt-

Last edited:
kamikaiguy said:
I would use Climax beads for that size humi.

As for Cedar if you are storing boxes you don't really need to add any sedar. Because the boxes should provide all of the cedar that you need.

Just like the man sed. As for the boxes these are under $100 at smokeall.com (i was just there):
Olivia Grand Cameroon
Padron 2000-4000
All the FDO bundles
Joya De Nicaragua Celebration and Anato

txmatt pretty much hit the nail on the head. I moved to a cooler 4 months ago and still use the green foam but am moving to the beads because right now the humidity outside the cooler is 45 (winter months). When summer gets here and the humidity starts to hit 85% then you will be fighting trying to keep it down.

I haven't used the beads but I will when the weather starts warming up.

As far a boxes go, I'm a five packer myself! I have a few boxes of cigars but my taste changes every day so I never know what I want to smoke until I'm ready. So I would just pickup some fivers from cigarbid or your local shop until you find something you really like.

txmatt also mentioned the CAO Brazillia Gol, which I love but I would also add some La Gloria Cubana's.....very tasty and well within budget.

The strips seem to be working fine. Course I'm using a Cigar Oasis, so I can't really say if the strips are doing their job or not. I also have three boxes in there for my loose sticks. Might have an impact.

Go for the beads. Cheaper, and they've got an earned reputation.

Scott"freeadviceisworthwhatyoupay"M

I use an Oasis and I refill the cartridge with distilled water. Mold? Well, I have NaN3 that I add at 10mM to avoid that. The humidity will rise much faster with an Oasis than the beads after the cooler has been opened. I'm not worried about overhumidification here, it is in an airconditioned room, humidity rarely breaks 60. I have heard of people who combine the beads and the Oasis, 70% beads and Oasis set to 68%. You get the combination of rapid humidity control and protection against overhumidification. I love the beads though, have 65% in two humidors. If you're not going to refill the Oasis cartridges, they are too expensive IMHO and the beads are the way to go.

I have a cigar oasis in my cooler now, the beads just didn't work for me during the winter. I might have just needed more beads ???

If you want to get beads go with a great BOTL at heartfelt industries http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/beads_1.html

I have a cooler now, make sure you go big (my 48qt is full - see my gallery) and you don't need the extra cedar....I learned the hard way. The cedar is an added cost and takes up room on the sides of the cooler.

1f1fan said:
I have a cigar oasis in my cooler now, the beads just didn't work for me during the winter. I might have just needed more beads ???
I use 1 lb. in a 48 qt. but I'm in Florida where the humidity is close to ideal except for mid-summer anyway.

Another vote for the beads. And yes the boxes that store the smokes in will give off enough spanish cedar for the cooler. DO NOT but a cooler kit with cedar lining. Waste of dough. As far as smokes, if you have to ask hold off on the box purchases. Go to cigarbid or get some trades for fivers and find out what you like. No sense shelling out a bill for smokes you don't like. Rather pay 120 for something I like. You can get empty boxes at a local shop for a buck or two to house the fivers. Or if they want more than $3 a box let me know your addy and I'll ground some out to you.

Shit, I just looked at your location. I'm down the street from you so to speak. If you need anything let me know.

jdsmoke said:
Well I’m taking the plunge and making my first coolerdor.
2 quick questions:
active vs. passive humidification. I currently have a humidor with passive and it’s never done me wrong. The main purpose is for box storage. I would this that the active would be the way to go. Just wanted to hear other opinions

Second, how much cedar do you think one needs? I looked at ScottM pictures in Coolerdor 101 and it does not seem like enough we you compare it to a humidor that has it throughout.

Lastly,
Any good suggestions for boxes of cigars that are under $100. Once it's made I have to start filling it. :)

I just made a coolidor also. I bought a 48 quart Igloo cooler from WalMart for less than $20 and a $20 digital hygrometer from Radio Shack. I picked up some cedar cigar boxes from my local shop for a buck a piece. I am waiting now for the Climmax beads to show up now! In the meantime, I stuck a sponge soaked with distilled water to get the humidity up. I have since taken it out and the humidity is sitting at 68% right now. Pretty cheap way to get extra storage!

I would second the recommendation that you try some samplers or pick up some singles from your local shop before buying a box. You can store the samplers or singles in empty cigar boxes in the coolidor. When you find one you really like, go and buy a box of them!

Back