Coolerdor RH regulation: Seasons, Oasis and Beads.

Scott M

SilverBack
This might help some brothers out, so I tought I'd post it as an FYI. The short story; The Cigar Oasis is great for HUMIDIFYING a storage unit, but it may contribute to an over-humidified environment simply by being in the unit regardless of on/off status. Beads seem better for REGULATING the humidity levels in a storage unit.

Scotts' long winded diatribe:

Been having a little trouble lately keeping the level in my coolerdor below 70%. BFD, as some might say, but I find the cigars seem better at 65%, maybe a little lower. Using a Cigar Oasis for humidification since I started the unit in February, (when the household humidity levels are low).

Since the begining of June, the RH has held pretty steady at 70%. Since I wanted the RH lower, I tuned the CO down all the way. No change in the RH reading. I then unplugged the unit...no change either. Added some loose cedar sticks...nada. The CO's a great tool, but it only brings the levels up to a certain point...it doesn't remove humidity from the environment, so I added some dry 65% Heartfelt beads thinking they would bring the humidity level down and maintain the desired 65%. Nothing. Rock solid 70%.

I then read on another forum that simply having the CO in the coolerdor will create a himidified environment, (since it basically has an open water source in contact with the environment like a bowl of DW), and the environment will continue at a stable RH until the source of the humidity has been removed, (the CO and its' water source), and even after in a well sealed storage unit.

Contrary to popular opinion, I'm smart enought to recognize a good idea. After removing the CO, (but not the now-charged beads), the coolerdor has held a stable 65% level for the last two days.

Since it's summer, those of us in places with higher ambient humidity levels may experience higher levels in coolers/humidors. If you're using a Cigar Oasis and have humidity levels that are too high, you may want to remove it from your unit if all else fails.

Just a thought. Hope it helps.
S.

I've used the term RH to imply the humidity level inside the humidor/coolerdor. It's not entirely accurate, but it gets my point across.

I agree. I have a Cigar Oasis in each of my humi's and during the Summer, when the RH in the room is higher, I have to remove them periodically to allow humi RH to drop down to the 65-68 range. I plan to add the humi beads this year in addition to the CO and see if that combo works together.

Wouldn't it also have to do with the fact that coolers are pretty much air tight? I would assume the CO to have more success in a cabinet humidor of some type, which it is probably designed for anyways.

Yes the beads are great. My humidity is always stable in my coolador around 63-68%, but usually it's at 65% or 66%.

Back