Coolidor Hygrometer

Shabalula

Mariska Hargitay
I am gonna have to break down and get a coolidor, and I was thinking of a wireless hygrometer. Any suggestions on what works for you guys?

I have seen weather stations at Target that have a sensor that you put outside and a unit that sits on a desk or table that shows a read out of temp, humidity, barometric pressure, etc. I figure I can put the sensor in the coolidor and keep the station at my bedside. That way, when I wake up with nightmares about humidity levels, I can just look at my nightstand to put my mind at ease. Any one use one of these?

Here is an example

Not that specific model, but I do use a wireless Oregon Scientific hygrometer. Works pretty well. :tu

I have this one also with multiple sensors so I can read different humidors without opening the door. It works very well. Got mine from ebay.

Honestly, if you buy a cooler from a reputable company (igloo, coleman, etc) getting one of those weather station hygrometers is a bit of overkill. Coolers hold humidity so well that keeping a constant eye on the RH isnt even necessary. My beads hold a charge for months without waivering, so its easy to tell when you need to add water when you periodically open it to grab something.

OTOH they are great for winecoolidors, since you can throw sensors in a couple different boxes inside.

Just my MHO

Honestly, if you buy a cooler from a reputable company (igloo, coleman, etc) getting one of those weather station hygrometers is a bit of overkill. Coolers hold humidity so well that keeping a constant eye on the RH isnt even necessary. My beads hold a charge for months without waivering, so its easy to tell when you need to add water when you periodically open it to grab something.

I know its probably overkill, but I'm sure after having the coolidor a while I'll lighten up.

I know its probably overkill, but I'm sure after having the coolidor a while I'll lighten up.

Do what makes you happy. :ss

I went out tonight after dinner and picked up a 100 qt. Coleman cooler to replace the two smaller ones that I have been using. The smallest cooler that I was using has a top that doesn't latch. Nothing but problems with that one.

For checking humidity, I lucked into a real deal at my local home depot where they seemed to mark a temp/hydo/clock/alarm thingy with a remote temp (only) setup down by $4.55 (to $17, I think) but had it in the computer for the $4.55 price. It works well and is very close to spot on. One cooler was a solid 67% and the non-latching one was a consistent 61%. To be fair, both coolers are 15+ years old, so getting a new cooler for $54 was probably the thing to do.

I also have a 50-stick Otterbox in which I keep the sticks that I am likely to smoke soon. I use PG and distilled water in that and have never had a problem. No hydro measurement there, as PG works. For the coolers (now cooler) I use 65% beads. Listen to the people here when they talk highly of beads. They know beads. Frankly, I think that the only use for a hydo with beads is to tell whether or not it is time to replace the cooler.

I use a wireless remote in my cooler... Oregon Scientific brand purchased at Target. I'm monitoring my cooler and one of my desktop humis using two sensors and one base unit.

OTOH they are great for winecoolidors, since you can throw sensors in a couple different boxes inside.

Just my MHO

:tpd: I just have one of those $7.00 digitals from Walmart in my cooler. Everytime I get in there its right on 64-65%.
But I'm more of a spend my $$ on cigars than the fancy accesories kind of guy.

My coolers stay dead on at 65% with beads. Still, I wouldn't blame anyone with hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of cigars for wanting to keep an eye on things. At the very least, remote sensors might alert you to a lid that's not shut. And, the receiver can be quite a conversation piece. Visitors will see my Radio Shack receiving unit upstairs and this will often lead to me showing off my coolers. This often results in quiet amazement or, sometimes, a weird look and a sad shake of the head:)

Anyway, I like gadgets and like keeping track of my collection.

WyoBob

I'll have to look into this one. I like the multi sensor option.

If you have a Fryes electronic super duper computer store, they sell a really nice wireless three sensor hygrometer with USB2 data port so you can read/graph and play with your thousands of stored readings.

If you have a Fryes electronic super duper computer store, they sell a really nice wireless three sensor hygrometer with USB2 data port so you can read/graph and play with your thousands of stored readings.

Fryes it is!!! :tu

I'm a bit of an analysis geek. I build spreadsheets and databases for fun. My wife already thinks I'm odd, wait till she sees this! :D

Back