Cooling a Tower

txdyna65

Boli Puto
Ive read many threads on cooling and did searches, but I havent found what Im looking for on my problem. Hopefully someone will have a good answer or at least point me in the right direction with a link, or even the right search word.

Ok to my problem....I live in HOT TX, I have a 1500 CT, (web site said 3000 ct) tower humidor. I currently use a window unit in that room to keep it at 70-72 degrees. What I would like to do is install something in the tower, or buy a unit that fits in there that cools it. The window unit works fine, not real good on my electric bill but I deal with it. :confused:

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

You might try a search for “Thermo-electric cooling”, I was trying to find it for you, but for now try this and if I find the post I was remembering I will link it for you.

Thanks a ton bigman :) That last thread link you gave had an excellent link from jokieman and gave me excatly what I was looking for.....thanks again, that was a big help.

Hey Tx, I use a peltier cooler and have a thread here. With link to what I bought. The company I used was very helpfull.

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27274

It has some of my trials in the whole thing. There are some gotchas though. Peltiers work very HARD to keep the temperature below ambient. Based on the load they can work even harder. In the beginning I ran mine 24x7 and it would lower the temp by about 10 degrees. The answer was decrease the load by adding insulation. That would be difficult to do with a tower humidor but not impossible if desired. Also condensation is a very real possiblitiy. In any event I included some pictures to help people visualize the setup. My enclosure was a decent size and the peltier I got was a small peltier that now easily does 20 below ambient. They have ones MUCH bigger than what I got. No doubt they will have something that can handle your needs. You could probably do it without insulation but it would mean oversizing which would mean boocoo bucks. Oh one other thing. RH. I've notice that my peltier DOES effect RH. Again that was when running it 24x7. Now that my temperature goals are reached I have a temp controller to put in it (came yesterday). I think the temp controller will allow the rh to recover quickly enough between cooling cycles, but that remains to be seen.

So in summary peltiers are great but;

1. Insulate the container -> if it is not possible oversize.
2. Plan for a way to deal with condensation from the peltiers cooling fins.
3. Be aware they can also effect relative humidity.

These are my experience gottchas. Good luck.

Thanks Stogie....Im having issues with alot of it right now, one day Ill pick a direction and go with it, right now Im undecided as to what Im gonna do, I thought I knew, until I read your thread....I too have a oasis II, it does a great job right now on my tower, but Im thinking I would have to add beads or go to beads altogether if and when I install a thermo cooler in it......uggg decisions decisions.

BTW it was 107 here today :c

Back