Craziness?

Jeff

Head to the grindstone...
Browsing through the five-packs on CBid this evening. One auction is for Arturo Fuente Añejo Reserva #77 Shark. I couldn't believe what it's going for: $122!!! That comes to $24.40 per stick. The MSRP on those damn things is only $10/stick.

Now am I the only one who thinks that price is crazy? I have no doubt that the Añejo #77 is really good, but come on...

It's been like a shark tank at feeding time at the devil's lately.

You'd think someone would look at the prices once in a while at the retail sites.

SmokusMaximus said:
It's been like a shark tank at feeding time at the devil's lately.

You'd think someone would look at the prices once in a while at the retail sites.

I can't find but one retail site that has Anejos!

Actually the ones I've bid I've gotten good deals on, but I also cut myself off at a certain price lol. Would have loved to get those 1950 pre-Embargo cuban Gurkhas, but I can't swing $405 for 20 lol

Want some more laughs? Put some more fuente sticks in google along with "cbid" and look at all the past auctions. I've seen Opus go for $45 for a single.

I've seen bids at the devil's site and his little brother's that I just couldn't believe. It amazes me that people won't do their homework and just check what they could buy the same thing for at other sites. It must be just a bidding frenzy or an "I have to win no matter what the cost" attitude. I have gotten some excellant deals, but I have sat back and laughed when I see things go for 2 and 3 times the price that you can buy then for at other places everyday.

I basically don't even bother bidding on anything from Fuente or CAO any more. They're guaranteed to be overbid every single time.

Jeff said:
Browsing through the five-packs on CBid this evening. One auction is for Arturo Fuente Añejo Reserva #77 Shark. I couldn't believe what it's going for: $122!!! That comes to $24.40 per stick. The MSRP on those damn things is only $10/stick.

Now am I the only one who thinks that price is crazy? I have no doubt that the Añejo #77 is really good, but come on...
That is preposterous! I couldn't believe my eye's when I seen that on there. But, price is only what people are willing to pay. Maybe the winner will have them framed.

Jeff said:

My wife and I used to frequent estate auctions. Sometimes treasures went cheap and sometimes junk went for fortunes. Not everybody knows the value of what they are bidding on or selling.

steve12553 said:
My wife and I used to frequent estate auctions. Sometimes treasures went cheap and sometimes junk went for fortunes. Not everybody knows the value of what they are bidding on or selling.

Yeah, I saw a guy big 400 for an old trailer sized washer .... I'm thinking .... is there cash packed inside the thing or are you just an idiot? There are a LOT of people that MUST leave an auction with SOMETHING ... ANYTHING...

Like RumblePen said, popular, well known cigars will almost always be the same or higher (sometimes much higher) than you can order online.

The last few times on Cbid I've looked up the retail price on CI or elsewhere, took 50-60% of that and made that my max autobid. Now I lose almost all my auctions there and that is a good thing. On occaision a bid will slip through with a 50% of retail price and I get a deal, otherwise...let the other guy have it!

:r You want crazy. OK here you go.

cabinetta1gk.jpg

LOLH loot. Dunhill Cabinetta.

Da Klugs said:
:r You want crazy. OK here you go.

cabinetta1gk.jpg

LOLH loot. Dunhill Cabinetta.
We know you're crazy, for us to know if the bid was crazy we need to know what you paid....BTW, very interesting tag line :r

Jeff said:

Well sh*t. I thought I was doing good at this price. Then, again, I thought $5 for ten Cremosas was a bargain also. :r

Only screw-up I did (or thought I did) on cbid was $50 on a Partagas 150 AA, thinking I was bidding on a 5 pack (early in my cbid days). Ninja was nice enough to inform me that the bidding was on one stick only, AFTER I HAD ALREADY WON BID. Luckly, $50 per stick is about the going price IF you can find them, so guess I did ok. Now I keep a CI catalog behind me on the crendenza, and check their retail before I bid on anything.

I agree with a previous post that bids do seem to be getting out of hand on many items. I see VSGs and Opus going for more than twice what I can buy them at local B & M. CAOs mostly go at, or just above B & M prices, so I stay away from them also. Anything that says Ashton are now over-bidding.

Guess too many people can't find them at their local B & Ms, and are paying anything just to get them.

Back