Cusano Corojo 1997

donp

Chestbeating Pack Leader
I had one of these last winter (the torpedo), and I felt it was just okay. Perhaps it was because it may have needed more time at rest. But now almost a year later I had a Robusto which was given to me by the wife of the owner of the B&M I go to. I just smoked it along with a pale ale. This time it was different, this time it was better than I remembered it. I like the corojo wrapper in general, and it was well done on this Cusano. I didn't smoke it to determine it's flavors, nuances, and construction. Once I fired it up and realized that all of those things were there, I simply enjoyed it. I liked the sweet, spicey taste of the wrapper immediately. The draw was not too tight nor too easy; it was just right. It was creamy and spicey but, but not overly so. At one point I tasted what could have been the taste of steak juices as I get in a well prepared steak. I can't say it was extremely complex because I wasn't looking for that; I was just enjoying this smoke. It smoked cool and the burn was good and the smoke it generated was plenty. The ash was a whitish color and it smoked even after I drew on it.
Overall it was a nice smoke, and a good cigar. I couldn't help but think how fortunate I am to be able to smoke a good cigar.

Wow- sounds like a nice cigar!

My BM carries a few Cusano cigars- but not the one that attracts my attention- the Corojo 1997!

I've always wanted to try one but my BM doesnt carry them yet.

I smoked one in July after a month or so of rest and looking back at my notes I said, "Loved it. Great burn, lots of smoke, good flavor, med body, 1:15". I have a few left and it is beyond me why I haven't had one lately.

I smoked one in July after a month or so of rest and looking back at my notes I said, "Loved it. Great burn, lots of smoke, good flavor, med body, 1:15". I have a few left and it is beyond me why I haven't had one lately.

I got a CA mag this past Saturday and they had it rated at 88. A pretty fair rating IMO.

The cusano line is a "great bargain" or "good value" line in my opinion. Very affordable, great taste, just not that complex as Don stated. I am the type who doesn't need a super complex smoke each time out. This is one of them. Plus, they come in an orange box. How cool is that? :w

I have had one with the new label and it was a great smoke, i also have one of the older cusano corojo with the palin band rather than the pointy one, looking forward to trying that one.

nice review

I bought a box of coronas a while back, still have a few left, last one I smoked was great! spicey notes and creamy somke can't go wrong with these guys gonna have to buy another box ;)

I just smoked one of these that had been in my humidor for maybe three years. Really not sure when I got it, was from back when I bought cigars mostly as giveaways, and just smoked whatever was left. I remember not really liking it the first time, but can't remember why not. However this one was really good. Smoked it mid-day, and it went really well. Not too heavy, and I guess I can see where some might say it lacked complexity, but I thought it had some varied tones that to me would rate as at least mild depth, both a sweetness and earthiness that came and went. Lost most of the last third to a 3 year olds emergency, so can't really speak to that, but the start and middle thirds were tasty.

One downside, I had it with coffee, and the roast did not complement the sweetness, as I would have expected, but rather made it taste a bit flat, but after putting down the coffee, the flavor picked right back up again.

By the way, this is my first review, so if anyone want to critique that, feel free.

Back