Cutting a 'tapered' cigar

kwoody

ChestBeater
Hey guys,
As I have begun to try different and new cigars (slowly) I have encountered a few with what I call a tapered end.
Nub%20Habano%20-%202.jpg

How far up do you cut cigars such as this? And not necessarily a nub (have never had one nor have one in my possession, but this style (if thats what you want to call it) tapering at the end.
Anyways Thanks!

That's a good question bro....personally I don't have many with the tapered end but when I do randomly get one it's usually a guess/estimate on my part of how much I want it cut. Personally my rule of thumb is that I gauge how deep a cigar punch would go on the tapered end and that's about how deep I cut it. I'm sure the more senior gorillas can chime in with better info.

I usually clip about 1/4" off. Try and draw through it and if it needs opened, clip a bit more. Your tapered cigars are generally torpedos or belicosos. These fit in the figurado category of cigars. a little more skill is needed to roll these shapes. They will also be a bit more expensive.

Welcome to Club Stogie. :tu

D

Here's some advice on cutting a piramide: dont cut too much off, especially if the cigar feels soft (risk of being underfilled) and you keep some resistance in the draw. You can always cut off a slice or 2 if the cigar's draw is too firm or if it gets clogged up.

According to this video at 3 mins 4 sec its supposedly 3 mm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw5vV_R5iy8

Cut of a little less then you think then if it is not drawing well enough or your not happy with it cut some more off trial and error is the best.

Props to Ramon for some of the infor lifted from another forum.

I usually clip about 1/4" off. Try and draw through it and if it needs opened, clip a bit more. Your tapered cigars are generally torpedos or belicosos. These fit in the figurado category of cigars. a little more skill is needed to roll these shapes. They will also be a bit more expensive.

Welcome to Club Stogie. :tu

D
:tpd:

I also cut them at an angle to try and expose more surface area. Dunno if it works but makes me feel better for some reason. ymmv :ss

I just look at the cigar & where I'm cuting and cut so there is a little bit of cap left to keep the wrapper from doing funny things.

Remember ... you can always cut more off, but putting some back once it's cut isn't really doable. :tu

I just look at the cigar & where I'm cuting and cut so there is a little bit of cap left to keep the wrapper from doing funny things.

Remember ... you can always cut more off, but putting some back once it's cut isn't really doable. :tu

That is the way I do it.

Generally I cut off a small amount, the best thing about them, is they give you more room to work with them a traditional cigar. Always aim to cut off to little, because if you cut off to much, then your in for a hell of a time.

I too have been doing the angled cut lately myself. Like Smokepiper mentioned, cut about a 1/4" off and test the draw. If it's still tight clip a little more. Usually that 1/4" will do it.

Here's some advice on cutting a piramide: dont cut too much off, especially if the cigar feels soft (risk of being underfilled) and you keep some resistance in the draw. You can always cut off a slice or 2 if the cigar's draw is too firm or if it gets clogged up.

According to this video at 3 mins 4 sec its supposedly 3 mm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw5vV_R5iy8

Cut of a little less then you think then if it is not drawing well enough or your not happy with it cut some more off trial and error is the best.

Props to Ramon for some of the infor lifted from another forum.
Very nice video. Does anyone sell those cedar sticks ?:ss

All good suggestions. Now that you have a base to go from experiment. Try different depth cuts on a cigar you like and see how they effect the draw, flavor and your enjoyment of the cigar. After a while you will develop your own style. Have fun and what ever pleases you the most is the best way to do it.

I like to have about a 1/2" hole because that's what I'm comfortable with. So I cut the cigar back as far as I need to in order to achieve that. It's far further than what's recomended, I'm sure, but that's the way I like it. :tu

Back