Damn, damn, damn... Mouldy Anejos

physiognomy

From a land down under...
After reading up about Anejos last night I took a closer look at my two #49s this morning...

439764528_4e00a9efde_o.jpg

I guess paying msrp for these was too good to be true... Now I have to decide what to do. I was hoping to let these rest & save them for a special occasion, but I guess I'll either have to wipe & smoke them or take them back to the b&m. Part of me thinks I should take them back & nicely let the owner know what was leaving his shop... I don't know, I guess it's just disappointing, but I learned my lesson to check Anejos before buying them (at any price).

Rats. That stinks.

I've heard of this issue before (and I've only been here for about 3 mos)... and I think I've heard others discuss removing the cedar sleeves from stored Anejos to make problems more visible.

I have two Anejos in my coolerdor that I've never checked... and now I'm ready to run home and do so!

Anyone comment on this as a general problem? (And do you store them without the cedar sleeves?)

Ouch:mad: that stinks, I have had many Anejos this year and years past, and I guess I've been lucky - never had any mold problems, shame to see those sticks

Wipe em down nice and easy and let em rest a while and check on em in a few weeks. I had checked mine around late december. no mold but the smelled like it would have been a few more days

I don't have that problem with my Anejos. I checked each one they had no mold. I guess I am lucky.

Thanks for the comments! I only bought them last weekend, so they haven't been in my humi for too long. I'll think about it today, but most likely I'll wipe them down & they can have their own tupperdor. Luckily the shark I have resting isn't affected.

That picture is the reason I have removed the cedar wraps from all of my anejos. Some people do this, others do not. Try doing a search with the terms anejo and mold. This has been discussed several times.

Sorry about your problem, if the foot is not infected, you can just wipe them off. With that bad of mold, I normally put them in a temporary storage container and smoke them in the next week or two. If it was one or two spots, I just wipe them off and put them back into the humidor. So far I have not seen any re-growth, but I store my anejos at 65%.

I remove the cello and cedar from all of my anejos as soon as I get them. I have been lucky and only found 1 with a little mold out of the ones I have but that was enough. I now, keep them all in varnished boxes in my cooler and check on them periodically.

scottie

Total bummer on the mold, but atleast it didn't get to the foot from the looks of those pictures. I say wipe it off and enjoy them. Good luck.

Well, I just wiped them down & they look as good as new! I used a clean piece of slightly moist kitchen towel for each wipe. I also wiped them down with some dry towel to make sure I didn't leave any excess moisture on the wrapper. Since I'm excited about trying them I'll smoke one this weekend, but I'm going to keep the other to see whether any regrowth occurs. I'm guessing if nothing happens after a month or so it will be safe to put it back in the humi???

:mad:

Wipe them down and smoke them. If your B&M has more take them in for an exchange but I doubt theyhave any in stock now.

They shold be fine, with a wipe down. Then you can smoke them.

Live and learn.

i like to check mine when buying-when i explained to the store owner about the mold & being shipped sealed w/humipaks, he understood & checked the rest of his stock-once home, they get cedar & cello removed (i save it in case of a gifting later) & stored in an anejo box in my cooler (the shop owner gave me the empty box for letting him know about the mold thing)-my take on it is that they're shipped a little wet, the cedar holds it in & soaks up humidity from the humipak in the box-add the plastic wrap on ea. box & you got a prime recipe for mold-like others said, as long as there's no mold on the foot, they're safe to smoke

Good luck with the smokes, If I purchased cigars with that amount of mold I would of taken them back to the B/M, since you've wiped them down you probably cant return them now, but I would notify the B/M so they can check their stock... If your two cigars were that bad, my guess is the others will have the same issue.

Back