Developing palate and secondary effects

doctorcue

Tatuaje Whore
Hey all,

I noticed something over the weekend and thought I would share. Since I have only been smoking since January, I have been trying to get my palate to recognize the different nuances from stick to stick. Getting a little better, but I know it takes time.

So, the wife & I hit our favorite mexican restaurant on Saturday. I ordered steak fajitas which I haven't had in a while. So, eating as normal, but I now notice the different flavors of the peppers, onions, marinade on the steak, etc. Before I really didn't/couldn't tell the difference, but now I enjoyed the fajitas so much more. Hate to sound stupid, but they were bursting with flavor (for lack of a better/cheesier word).

So, has anyone else experienced this?

Hey all,

I noticed something over the weekend and thought I would share. Since I have only been smoking since January, I have been trying to get my palate to recognize the different nuances from stick to stick. Getting a little better, but I know it takes time.

So, the wife & I hit our favorite mexican restaurant on Saturday. I ordered steak fajitas which I haven't had in a while. So, eating as normal, but I now notice the different flavors of the peppers, onions, marinade on the steak, etc. Before I really didn't/couldn't tell the difference, but now I enjoyed the fajitas so much more. Hate to sound stupid, but they were bursting with flavor (for lack of a better/cheesier word).

So, has anyone else experienced this?

I used to hate veggies when I was a kid too. :D

I have...I've been smoking cigs since....well...August...how embarassingly excessive i am....anyways....I have noticed in my pursuit to identify different flavors, I have made myself more aware of things I am eating. Good stuff, huh?

KASR

Interesting, I guess I never thought about it that way. Maybe developing your palatte for cigars makes you focus more on flavors.

The only thing I have notice that has been heightened is my taste for coffee. I think this is because I have been roasting my own now and really focusing on the nuances.

The only thing I have notice that has been heightened is my taste for coffee. I think this is because I have been roasting my own now and really focusing on the nuances.

I have noticed this as well. I don't roast my own, but I do grind my own beans. I can't even drink the crap they serve in the office where I work. It is that individually packaged by the pot bag of preground dog:BS

I find it much easier to distinguish different flavors while eating. I think it is related to being more aware of what flavors im tasting while smoking.

Thoughts immediately following would be.."I could have bought 4 or 5 good sticks for the price of this meal.".;)

Very true, smoking cigars had led for me to an appreciation of wine and spirits and lots of food.

i've noticed this as well. as i've been smoking more and more cigars (thanks CS hehe), that I've been noticing more flavors in things. kinda the opposite of what you'd expect, but it's definitely cool :)

and as far as mexican food making you "burst"... that's normal too :) hahaha.

I can't even drink the crap they serve in the office where I work. It is that individually packaged by the pot bag of preground dog:BS

:r I'm the same way; I can't bring myself to drink that $1.99 fish bait coffee out of a can.

I think my love of Micro Brews and brewing my own beer made me more aware of the different favors in cigars.

I still find it is easier for me to make out different malts and hops in beer than leather, soil and burnt seven year old madagascar vanilla in a cigar but I am still working on it.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I have had the same thing happen to me over the last several months and thought perhaps I was imagining things. It does not happen with all foods/drinks but most often with full flavored dishes.

I find it much easier to distinguish different flavors while eating. I think it is related to being more aware of what flavors im tasting while smoking.

Thats true Walt,I think everybody is just about on the same page here.Interesting post here...

Back